2016 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Bate"s Beach web cam every 2 seconds up dated.i took a look around storries beach firstlight a day ago .should be here soon.This year i plan on takin 11ft tinny for a camp/fish trip rowwing from storries beach(#72 wundermap)to little river with a stop at sarratoga for the night and another stop at willams alders.comox harbour opens in a couple days.

Hey Guys, I'm at Cape Lazo and planning on fishing this afternoon and tomorrow. Any reports on Comox bay as it has just opened for coho 1 wild 1 hatchery Sept 1st. Seen 4 boats getting pounded yesterday morning trying to fish in that nasty SE wind. PM me if you like.

Cheers, Rob.

Fished Lazo this afternoon. Nothing happening. There were 5 or 6 boats in the area but I didn't see any nets out. Nice day on the water just the same.

Well packed up and heading back but here's the report. Once the winds died down I got out with a buddy on Friday late afternoon. Was slow till about 6pm then ended up going 2-4 on springs. 10-12lbs both on bait. Lot a couple of nice one with one must of been big as it was heavy and sheared of my 40lb ultra green. Fought it for a bit then nothing.
Got up early Saturday and went out again. Went 2-3 as it was a bit lumpy early with the 13nt NW. Got a nice one around 25lbs on a med plug and a small one on bait.
Lots of small jacks both days. Talked to another boat that said he hit a ton of nice coho about 500yds south of the yellow black market "I think". The bay should pick up soon if it hasn't already.
Fished the 90-130' range moving gear up and down with most around 77 and 85 on the rigger.
Cheers, Rob.

I gave Cape Lazo another try today. It was non-stop action up until the wind came up around 11:00. Caught about a dozen or so nice Coho but only kept one because it was a bleeder. Lost a nice spring at the boat while trying to net it. You win some and you lose some. Fished about 30-40 feet with cream spoons.

A beautiful evening of Boats, Birds, Bait, Buoys, but no Blood. A dozen boats were out around the PJ buoy trolling and jigging.

13Sep.PNG

Last edited:
There are fish out there.... and lots of bait. Today I had to dodge a humpback that was cruising through the bait-- short time on the water got a maturing 10 lb doe, probably a Puntledge hatchery spring, and a hatchery bright coho. Saw two other boats playing fish, just after the morning tide change. Anyone heard anything on the Qualicums?

Was out yesterday off Kitty to Bates, fishing from 730-1030 am was nuts.
Using anchovy in bloody nose teaser head landed a 24 lb spring that was a helluva fight and many 10-15 lb wild coho that were gently released as well as various smalls. The other side had a green teaser head that nailed 1 nice hatch coho and multiple wilds, had a double of 10 lb wilds that were both haywire- such a blast-lost a few real good fish as well as buddy was only second time on the chuck.
2 packs of anchovy's done by 10:30 then fishing slowed rite down.
Ran half way to grants then decided fuel may be a problem so fished out near kitty but just wasnt producing without bait.
Should be out today but work gets in the way....

Took the wife out for a couple of hours by the yellow bouy off Lazo? In one half hour she caught a 24.7 lb bright male spring and two nice but smaller coho......then all went dead. Nice last trip of the year.......:)

SS

Last edited:
Was out Thursday afternoon and this morning. One chum close to 15lb Thursday 88' on chovie, Today was slower shook 4 small springs off. All at 88' with chovie fishing in 90-100ft of water along the cardinal bouys

Back