2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Sorry bud have to take the ole blister out for anniversary brunch, only 20 days late as i was hunting :) then gone to the cabin, good luck with the end to your season and good luck hunting.
well thank you,good luck to you too.will keep in touch.will be bldg na couple house in vic starting in march so will spend a lot of time on the rock

Any reports from offshore? Going to fish Hali's and troll around for salmon Sat. Any Intel would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Just got back from 3 days. Fished the 550 mark mostly. Lots on the sounder, had trouble getting them to bite. 75' seemed to be better using an old kripple K. Some springs still on the beach. Fished Walbran with anchovy, landed a 10# and lost another around 20#. Dead calm and sunny. Catching was a bonus (easy to say as we didn't fill the freezer).

For those getting coho out in the bay, what are they taking? Spoons?

Fished camper yesterday morning was slow slow then moved out front of the can in 350-550 feet of water and hooked piles of fish. All depths 50-130 feet best were 60-70 feet. Only problem was the size, everything was super small with a couple boarder line springs and some wild coho. Williams darty in chartreuse and cop car coho killer were our best combo but fished all kinds of other gear trying to sort out the tidlers

Thank you LukeSeawalker. The cop car spoon at 50' out at 450' was our winner last week. I hope it's as good tomorrow.

Just finished my season in Renfrew. Great success! Last couple of weeks great coho fishing mostly wilds though but some nice fish. Stuck around 350 to 550' mark. Used pink/white hootchies and anchovies with good results. 45 to 90' on rigger. Some nice fish. Water was almost perfect. Ton of humpback whales to watch. Is that normal for this time of year? Lot of fun, my first season of coho fishing. Looking forward to next year. Good luck at Coho derby for those taking part, stay safe!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 87
dont no about kicker,it just looked like it ran out of gas,then started it again and rev up and died over and over would not stay running,so i gave up and trolled with the clunker,switch is ****** up on it so will have to investigate if its a fuel problem or ignition problem,just need a bit of time should be able to figure it out,maybe just bad gas.just a ***** to work on standing on the swim grid,just dont want to pull it out the water this late in the season

rap on the carb a couple times with a wrench. could be the float or needle is stuck.

I've seen a few on here and new to this so just trying to understand the regs... I thought wild coho didn't open up till October 1st?

I've seen a few on here and new to this so just trying to understand the regs... I thought wild coho didn't open up till October 1st?
4 limit in the bay,2 wild 2 hatch,2 limit hatch outside the bay.oct 1 4 limit 2 wild 2 hatch in the bay,4 limit 3 hatch 1 wild outside the bay.hope that clear it up a bit.DFO AS A ****** UP WAY OF RUNNIG OUR FISHERIE,lots and lots of floaters trying to get hatch fish.

4 limit in the bay,2 wild 2 hatch,2 limit hatch outside the bay.oct 1 4 limit 2 wild 2 hatch in the bay,4 limit 3 hatch 1 wild outside the bay.hope that clear it up a bit.DFO AS A ****** UP WAY OF RUNNIG OUR FISHERIE,lots and lots of floaters trying to get hatch fish.
Thanks for the clarification brutus!

If that is the case perhaps the guys looking for hatchery Coho should be using a single barbless hook in a hoochie, and they should not be bringing the wild ones aboard or netting them.

I certainly had no problems all my trips to Renfrew fishing Coho without causing morts. Hoochies work great on coho, and with a single siwash they can easily be released in the water without causing undue harm to the fish.

Just saying, maybe guys need to be more careful in their gear selection and release practices to avoid unnecessary mortalities.

Its not only that. Look even if you went single it would still be same theme with guys running trebles and just netting them everywhere even if they have to release them. Guys are netting fish a lot and not releasing properly. I find the bigger the fish the more they can't take the punishment,so once you get them to boat they are super tired. If you are releasing I find many times I may have to revive fish on side of boat for a little before releasing. I know lots of people don't do that. Port Renfrew has a different restriction that Sooke, but it clearly says that in regs you just need to read that.

I had a wild coho which we though was hatchery a week ago, and I was fishing off Sooke near dark I netted it once I couldn't see adipose. Sure enough netted and just saw adipose so rolled it on side boat. that fish was belly up. We pretty much stayed for 5-10 minutes with it and got water moving through gills and it swam away strong.

Back