2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Hey guys. I have a few pals in from Ontario Next Week for a deer hunt and we have one day to fish around French Creek. I have never fished the area (only Nanamio and the west coast). If anyone could post or PM me what area to hit it would be much appreciated as we don't have time to prospect around.
Thanks in advance
Steveo

Finally got out to the little Q for a morning fish. Got two beauty fish within an hour, 16&18.
White hoochie. Not a lot of boats there.
Hey Hoochies Galore,
I have never fished the little Q. Only the humps off French creek. I was thinking of getting out mon or tues. Is there a specific tack or do you just troll the river mouth back and fourth in 100' of water with gear shallow at 40 -60 like the big Q? Where would be the best launch if I am coming from Nanaimo?
Thanks for your help,
Lee

HB-- there is a learning curve when fishing the LQ. Depending on where the fish are holding, you can troll either deep or shallow....BE VERY CAREFUL just north of the mouth. It comes up very quickly. Also take note of the jiggers.. they tend to stay on top of the fish. Fish between 25 and 70 has worked for me in the past. Have fun.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but after catching 30 something little coho and having the hooked many in the gills, eyes, brain......and feel this is ethical cause we have to release all these, I think I will wait for winter fishing. Anybody else think or feel the same?

Honey Badger, I am waiting for the answer to your question:
Where would be the best launch if I am coming from Nanaimo?

Launch at FC and boat out to LQ. Or is there another boat ramp closer?
Thanks for helping the new members.

I usually just launch from FC as its easy, good parking and good fish cleaning facilities. Not too long of a run to the little Q and easy to hit the humps out front on the way back as a secondary spot to fish. My two cents.

dropped prawn and crab traps this am theres a lot of chums jumping out front of french creek might try trolling tomorrow anybody tried ?

We were prawning also this morn and saw the same thing. Wetted the gear for half an hr but only got a couple undersize coho. They were jumping all around us though! Even had the browns bay gear down but no takers

we tried trolling a bit in the middle of all the jumpers no luck - on lady said she had a hit right on the surface might want to try that - ryan A are you in the newer lifetime r?

I was watching them unload a few boats loads of Chums.. I wouldn't waist my time fishing for them now unless you are looking for fertilizer for your flowers lol

image.jpeg Lots of bait out there boys, went out yesterday to Ballenas with Bushy and bonked two nice ones and released four that were too close to measure and net. Bait ruled the day but a little tomic spoon I bought and had good feelings about produced a fish. Bait was out deeper at the 200 to 250 tack . I hear the prawning is good gonna drop some traps next week........BRS

Back