2016 Winter Harbour Reports

If you see a 19' open boat ('Sea Dart' but not clearly marked) with Cannon dr's that'll be me & my pops. I'm hoping to be at cliffe on friday AM by slack low @8am. I'll put the radio on 6 too. If I find slabs or coho on Thursday, I'll let you know.

If you see a 19' open boat ('Sea Dart' but not clearly marked) with Cannon dr's that'll be me & my pops. I'm hoping to be at cliffe on friday AM by slack low @8am. I'll put the radio on 6 too. If I find slabs or coho on Thursday, I'll let you know.
That would be a big help-I think we'll need it!! LOL

image.png
We should get off-shore sat.- I am not expecting a lot-it has been brutal up there this year- so I am just going to enjoy the last trip of the season-do the best we can- with the cards we are dealt! The rains may change things up a bit coho -wise but Springs are going to be very tough!! Good Luck!
We will keep our eyes open for you SF, the buoy report is looking up for the weekend, this rain should make a difference, springs should be good by the boundary at cliff point on the tide change. And hopefully a fresh batch of northern coho push in. We will be on ch 69, but will give you a shout on 6 SF. Looking forward to slamon salmon with ya Dbastock.

Took a quick run out to CH this evening. The Stephen Creek coho run are in the harbour. If you want to go after these its an early early (before 8am) or late late (730pm-dark) bite. They usually run in the 5-8lb range, but are an absolute gas to cast into. I expect to be into them first light tomorrow then on the run for Cliffe or Kains dependent upon the wind. Will report back tomorrow PM with our results.

Good luck & tight lines all.

Took a quick run out to CH this evening. The Stephen Creek coho run are in the harbour. If you want to go after these its an early early (before 8am) or late late (730pm-dark) bite. They usually run in the 5-8lb range, but are an absolute gas to cast into. I expect to be into them first light tomorrow then on the run for Cliffe or Kains dependent upon the wind. Will report back tomorrow PM with our results.

Go get em-and thank you!

Thanks for the report, looking forward to hearing how you make out today at cains, and cliff. We are leaving the okanagan fri am, and will hit the dock by dinner time. Hope to see you out there this next week.

Thanks for the report, looking forward to hearing how you make out today at cains, and cliff. We are leaving the okanagan fri am, and will hit the dock by dinner time. Hope to see you out there this next week.

Don't forget your tuna tackle ;).

Firelight and I will be rolling into town around 5 or 6 pm tomorrow. Fueling up before the gas dock closes and heading to the second to last cabin again on the point next to the light. Dicks last resort.

If the weather holds we will be going for tuners early Saturday a.m.

Last edited:
Hit the stephen ck coho early today. Got into them nicely. Lots of undersize but managed 3 (One being around 10lbs). The showers turned to heavy rains and that brought us in for the day, albeit very early. Tomorrow I hope to head to cliffe. The later tide plus forecast of better weather are good signs.

One totally unexpected plus of our early day. My father-in-law came to visit this afternoon. Despite the rain in PH he and I took my 10ft inflatable out to pick up our crab traps in Beaver Harbour. We were greeted by a dozen or more harbour porpoises. They are the smaller ones, about the size of a medium dog. They were surfacing all around us at one point. Not a moment I would have expected to share with him.

Reactions: RBL
Don't forget your tuna tackle ;).

Firelight and I will be rolling into town around 5 or 6 pm tomorrow. Fueling up before the gas dock closes and heading to the second to last cabin again on the point next to the light. Dicks last resort.

If the weather holds we will be going for tuners early Saturday a.m.
Oh don't you worry Sculpin, tuner gear is on deck, as are the out riggers! , love to hookup with you , firelight, and smiley if our weather holds. We will be staying at cape Scott WH cottages. We will look for you, and maybe stop in tonight for a quick chinwag. We will monitor ch 6.

Talk soon, happy travels.

Winter Harbour report-just back a couple of hours ago-mainly a salmon trip-weather was awesome for the most part-lots of ground fish if you were looking for them(we weren't). Mainly looking for Springs and coho. Very slim pickings in that regard-four days of very heavy rain had moved all the reported jumpers into the rivers. We never saw 1 jumper the entire length of Quatsino all the way to Kain Island with the exception of Stevens creek in Cole harbour. Talked to Rob at Qualicum rivers charters and the creel survey and they had not seen or heard of any Springs taken for a few days so we were fortunate to dig up 2 around 18 lbs off Cliffe point early one morning. Some good ling were trolled up off Lippy with chovies. Had a lot of fun with spinning gear using large spinners for Coho on the jumpers at Stephens creek-we did quite well but it is surely very frustrating casting to fish who seldom hit-still when they did it was a thrill! I obviously have much to learn about enticing jumping coho to bite. Crabbing would not be crabbing without the torrential downpours which usually accompanies the sport. Fair to middling catch setting anywhere from 220 to 260 feet to beat the Otters. All in all great last trip-beautiful area-probably a week and a bit late-note for next year-nice to meet Heavy C off Cliffe-heard Sculpin and After hours as they got into WH but we were behind Cliffe anchored up and got no response. So I'm sure they got out for tuna on Saturday as it was great. Looking forward to their reports. Some general Pictures of the tough conditions we faced!!:p DSC00927.JPG DSC00929.JPG DSC00933.JPG DSC00941.JPG DSC00945.JPG

image.jpeg
Winter Harbour report-just back a couple of hours ago-mainly a salmon trip-weather was awesome for the most part-lots of ground fish if you were looking for them(we weren't). Mainly looking for Springs and coho. Very slim pickings in that regard-four days of very heavy rain had moved all the reported jumpers into the rivers. We never saw 1 jumper the entire length of Quatsino all the way to Kain Island with the exception of Stevens creek in Cole harbour. Talked to Rob at Qualicum rivers charters and the creel survey and they had not seen or heard of any Springs taken for a few days so we were fortunate to dig up 2 around 18 lbs off Cliffe point early one morning. Some good ling were trolled up off Lippy with chovies. Had a lot of fun with spinning gear using large spinners for Coho on the jumpers at Stephens creek-we did quite well but it is surely very frustrating casting to fish who seldom hit-still when they did it was a thrill! I obviously have much to learn about enticing jumping coho to bite. Crabbing would not be crabbing without the torrential downpours which usually accompanies the sport. Fair to middling catch setting anywhere from 220 to 260 feet to beat the Otters. All in all great last trip-beautiful area-probably a week and a bit late-note for next year-nice to meet Heavy C off Cliffe-heard Sculpin and After hours as they got into WH but we were behind Cliffe anchored up and got no response. So I'm sure they got out for tuna on Saturday as it was great. Looking forward to their reports. Some general Pictures of the tough conditions we faced!!:p View attachment 29457 View attachment 29458 View attachment 29459 View attachment 29460 View attachment 29461
Well.... I can't say enough about sculpin and crew, and smiley and crew! Gentle men to say the least! Met up with sculpin at 4:30 am sat morning, and headed out in the dark, never tuna fished before, and this guy was more excited to see us catch our first tuna than him catching his own. We were 4 hours into dragging our gear without a hint of tuna, meanwhile sculpin was 5 miles beyond us, and already had 5 in the tub! Now smiley shows up and hits two doubles, and a single right off the bat! Hmmmmmm, what are we doing wrong? A few helpful hints from the boys, we changed a couple things up and ........ Triple to start!! Wow, unreal experience, within the next 45 min we had 2 more doubles! Now I know what the fever is all about!! Will never forget the commorotory between boats to hone in on the fish.

Thanks so much boys! See you on the next opportunity!

Tight lines. image.jpeg

Hey guys, I'm going up to Quatsino to do some work for a week and figured I'd bring the boat. What's the ramp like over in Coal Harbour? I have a big e350 van but it's only rear wheel drive and a 24' searay so it's a little iffy at some launches

Hey guys, I'm going up to Quatsino to do some work for a week and figured I'd bring the boat. What's the ramp like over in Coal Harbour? I have a big e350 van but it's only rear wheel drive and a 24' searay so it's a little iffy at some launches
Its not a steep ramp, so if the tide is high you should be fine. Low tide is a bit tough.

View attachment 29467
Well.... I can't say enough about sculpin and crew, and smiley and crew! Gentle men to say the least! Met up with sculpin at 4:30 am sat morning, and headed out in the dark, never tuna fished before, and this guy was more excited to see us catch our first tuna than him catching his own. We were 4 hours into dragging our gear without a hint of tuna, meanwhile sculpin was 5 miles beyond us, and already had 5 in the tub! Now smiley shows up and hits two doubles, and a single right off the bat! Hmmmmmm, what are we doing wrong? A few helpful hints from the boys, we changed a couple things up and ........ Triple to start!! Wow, unreal experience, within the next 45 min we had 2 more doubles! Now I know what the fever is all about!! Will never forget the commorotory between boats to hone in on the fish.

Thanks so much boys! See you on the next opportunity!

Tight lines. View attachment 29467

How far out did you have to get to find em?

Back