How Many Times Have You Been Stopped By DFO.

once in about 30 years of fishing...just south of Browns Bay during chum season...both DFO and RCMP were pulling us over on highway. Had my legal chums, away I went.

4 times in 40 years. Once on the ocean fishing off the Cap and they did not even stop or board us. Just asked us to hold up our licenses for them to see. Once on the Thompson, when I saw an F.O. trying to open my buddies truck camper when he was not present. I went right up to him and asked him to show ID or I would be placing him under arrest for attempted break and enter ;-). He proceeded to be a real dink.
Two other times stopped on the highway red lights flashing and all. Both times legal limits and legal. They were very nice and sent us on our way.

In 20 years, been stopped by DFO 3 times. Once river fishing in the Nitinat, and twice on the road outside of Tahsis coming back from Esperanza - never on the salt chuck.

Been stopped by the RCMP twice for safety gear and proper documentation all round Sidney Island.

Stopped by a joint RCMP/USCG boat halfway between discovery and san juan. Asked us a couple questions and left - probably helped we both had life jackets on.

I wish they'd do something about the boats fishing the RCA near trial island, always seems to be a few boats there.

This year in march I went down a tiny little 4x4 trail into a tiny little lake around campbell river. Had to take the tinny off the roof a couple times to go under trees. Well we get to the lake and realize we forgot lifejackets. Seeing as you could toss a rock across the lake in any direction I figured we'd go row around anyhow. After an hour someone comes to the beach... And lo and behold if it isnt a CO calling us into shore. Never expected to see anyone in there, let alone a CO lol. He was a really nice guy, and understood my 'calculated risk' and just said he couldnt let us back on the water again. Funny. Never in my life have I been stopped on the ocean... But two hours down the worst road ive ever took my truck down and I get stopped while fishing a puddle.

On Saturday the 10th DFO is doing maintainance to there site ,I am to check my regs around noon.

3 times in the past 20 years, interestingly last year we were out at the rats nose and the boys were out there going from boat to boat, some boats they were with for an hour or so, when they finally came over to us check of licenses both fishing and boat and then some safety gear, good days guys. And again this spring off of Port Hardy license and for barbless hooks see you later

rcmp once up by stuart island 1998... i think they were checking boats for security reasons, some vip's were on a yacht close by. forgot my wallet= no liscence warning
rcmp in van harbour , crap day in january 2010, full paperwork and safety check.and asked if i was impaired ! .. did not have "proof of ownership" lol... got a warning
dfo ..june/2016 in imperial channel while anchored, license check and a discussion about my **** on dfo sticker, they totally understand our stand! didnt care about the chumsack either..
sept long 2016 bamfield harbour, drove up and it was same guys in june..... waved me on by.

they were definitely checking more of the small boats, we watched from boardwalk whilst drinkin a few.

Anytime I go to Nootka :), seems to be DFO/Coast Guard central. On a logging road leaving Toquart Bay couple years back. All stops have been very professional and quick. Licence, fish on licence, barbs, see ya later...have a nice day. I would just like to see a ban on DFO checks within 30 minutes of a tide change ;)

I follow regs and have a clear conscience. Let's me rant without being a hypocrite.

Quite frankly, I wished they checked more. I am surprised at the amount of people that still seem to use barbs. Hope they throw the book at ya's and give a cavity search. Take your Islander's and HP Scotty's too. Was beside one of the prominent resort/guide outfits on WCVI when the guide was boarded and handed the book they deserved.

Poacher's and reg breakers mute our credibility as sportfisherman.

We where checked twice today at Sandheads!!!! Once by two great guys, second by two girls. Seems they where out patrolling the closed banana, we watched a few dorks get busted. It was funny though they asked to see if we recorded our springs but never asked to see the fish???

We where checked twice today at Sandheads!!!! Once by two great guys, second by two girls. Seems they where out patrolling the closed banana, we watched a few dorks get busted. It was funny though they asked to see if we recorded our springs but never asked to see the fish???

Scotty : you should've said no but check out these seals we wasted!

That would have been a public service today bro!!!! Those sea rats where everywhere. Even had one try to snatch my buds fish when it was in the net!!!!!

Twice this year in oak bay by a U.S. coast guard gun ship with one RC on board..common place to get talked to out at the border..though they didn't care about anything fish related. Maybe washington just protecting their new cash crop;)
Last time I mentioned that they might want to pay the big bayliner around the corner in the rca a visit, you know, the guys that fill their coolers with rock fish and female crabs, but no, f that..

DFO presence on the water protecting "stocks" um no NEVER seen that as a priority.
But our new prime-mincer has made some promises.

That is just not right...and needs to be taken to high court.
We have borders and seperate governments for good reasons.
Whats next? Yankee highway patrol with a RCMP in backseast?
or FBI with token Canadian to turn our country into a police state like the USA.
The reason we have borders is ....to Keep Them Out !!!!!

Found this. Basically they can do what ever they want.http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ibet-eipf/shiprider-eng.htm#shiprider
This is how the USCG see's things.
Sorry, but when it comes to Coast Guard boardings, you don’t have any rights.

I’m surprised how many boaters don’t know this. The US Coast Guard can board your boat any time they want, and look anywhere they want, without probable cause or a warrant. They can do this on the open sea, or while you’re asleep aboard in your marina at midnight. They can look through your bedsheets, in your lockers, in your bilges, in your jewelry box, or in your pockets. They can do it carrying just their side arms, or they can do it carrying assault rifles. They can be polite about it or they can be rude, but mostly they’re polite.

The U.S. Coast Guard Boarding Policy:
Title 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission.

They have sweeping powers. “In terms of enforcement power, Coast Guard boarding officers are clearly America's supercops. As such, these provisions comprise what has been accurately characterized as 'one of the most sweeping grants of police authority ever to be written into U.S. law.
Here’s an article by a retired Coast Guard captain and Coast Guard legal counsel. The pull quote kind of says it all: “There are two main ways to board a vessel—either with permission, or without.”

Last edited:
That is just not right...and needs to be taken to high court.
We have borders and seperate governments for good reasons.
Whats next? Yankee highway patrol with a RCMP in backseast?
or FBI with token Canadian to turn our country into a police state like the USA.
The reason we have borders is ....to Keep Them Out !!!!!

Have seen US DEA (canadian edition) in armoured suv's ripping through downtown Vancouver on a few occasions...plus evening crop raids by "joint" forces on some of our off the grid islands, was the norm.
I do believe the states have 24 access to our buts, if the mood strikes.

Here's the part that's important

"In Canadian waters, Canada-U.S. Shiprider operations are subject to Canadian laws, policies and procedures and all operations are undertaken under the direction and control of the RCMP. RCMP vessels designated as Canada-U.S. Shiprider vessels have a member of the USCG on board and are able to enter U.S. waters to enforce U.S. laws under the supervision of the USCG member."

Once on water by DFO this year, and over past 3 years 4 times at dock by DFO. Before that hadn't seen them anywhere or been checked in the 7 years before that.

In the Tidal portion of the Fraser, I have been checked more times than I can remember (100+?) in the last 25 years or so......usually in their run silent rigid hull Zodiak with DFO and RCMP....at times with CO's too!

Get into non tidal waters, same period of time, maybe 15-20 times?

A few times they had two boats put in, one runs up river from Island 22, other runs down to the mouth of the river....all great people until 3 years ago or so...a new guy showed up with attitude!!!

Back