Trophy XL Tyee Combo

Ringo

Crew Member
Cabelas has the combo rod and reel (Trophy XL Tyee reel and the 10'6 trolling rod) on sale for $200/piece. I picked up a pair from the Abbotsford store yesterday. Not sure if the deal is available in all locations/online but I wanted to post in case you guys are interested.

nice. only have QR's online no XL's reg price. nothing under combos either. good deal if you can buy separately to much for the rod.

nice. only have QR's online no XL's reg price. nothing under combos either. good deal if you can buy separately to much for the rod.
Yeah. I probably won't use the rods at all but even for $200 it seemed a good deal for the reel itself. Next is to replace the drag springs with the MR2's.

Yeah. I probably won't use the rods at all but even for $200 it seemed a good deal for the reel itself. Next is to replace the drag springs with the MR2's.

That is a great deal for those set ups; basically a discount on the reel with a free rod!!

I've put Islander springs in mine....and it makes a HUGE difference. Zero line creep but a lot more 'play' to the drag.

This winter I just need to swap out the handles on mine as they are the first vintage of the XL's that have the smaller ones on them.

That is a great deal for those set ups; basically a discount on the reel with a free rod!!

I've put Islander springs in mine....and it makes a HUGE difference. Zero line creep but a lot more 'play' to the drag.

This winter I just need to swap out the handles on mine as they are the first vintage of the XL's that have the smaller ones on them.
Hey Pippen - What type of handles are you planning to install on yours? I agree with you, the handles on these XLs look a bit finicky and small for my liking.

Hey Pippen - What type of handles are you planning to install on yours? I agree with you, the handles on these XLs look a bit finicky and small for my liking.

If the Trophy's you bought have the small handles they are likely the older vintage of reels. The first pic below shows the new ones....second is the older ones which I have.

I have some Shimano paddles....the ones that have the grooves in them and are not perfectly round; the paddle style. I know they may take a bit of a modification to keep the rubber part of the handle away from the reel housing but just haven't got around to trying yet. wildthing on this forum also does mods to them if you felt like sending them to him, I think he uses Islander handles but don't quote me on this. If I can't get mine to work when I try them I may just send them over to him in Gibson's.

Here are a couple of threads about the handles.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/trophy-tyee-qr-handle-fix.51081/

And wildthings

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-shimano-paddle-handle-conversion-kits.59736/

Not sure if you have any of these reels as of yet or used them....and if you have the old style like in the second pic, make sure you tighten down those screws really well. I have had my loosen a few times and was going to use Loctite on them perhaps when I put the Shimano's on.

If yours are the newer kind in the top pic you may not have to change out the springs. I think that may have been an issue they addressed in the newer model....you'll know pretty quickly if they go from full drag to almost free spooling in about a 1/2 turn of the knob. I am not sure exactly why with mine but when I put the Islander springs in I don't have the drag knob screw screwed tightly down; it ends up just perfect that I can loosen it off and put the line down with some tension still on it so it doesn't turn into a birds nest. Regardless the spring has made a HUGE difference especially with those who aren't used to the reel as they would loosen off the drag and start lowering the ball....inevitably the 'free spool like' spin would cause a mess of the line.

TTMRblu.jpg

78689-189093

Last edited:
ah sorry I read to quickly I thought you meant the rod was 200 and reel was 200 a piece.. no great deal. it funny I noticed earlier on the cabbalas site if you order the blue QR it has the older style handle and the black and gold I think it was have the newer style. obviously old stock you think you might get for a better price. $269 used to be the going price for QRs new annoying how they went up to 329.

If the Trophy's you bought have the small handles they are likely the older vintage of reels. The first pic below shows the new ones....second is the older ones which I have.

Not sure if you have any of these reels as of yet or used them....and if you have the old style like in the second pic, make sure you tighten down those screws really well. I have had my loosen a few times and was going to use Loctite on them perhaps when I put the Shimano's on.

If yours are the newer kind in the top pic you may not have to change out the springs. I think that may have been an issue they addressed in the newer model....you'll know pretty quickly if they go from full drag to almost free spooling in about a 1/2 turn of the knob.

Thanks, Pippen. The ones that I've bought have the larger handles so I guess they are from the newer batch. Before I change out the springs, I'll just spool them with some lines and fish with them on the weekend. If I'm lucky enough and I hook a sizable fish, I'll let you know how the 'play'ing part goes. ;)
Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks, Pippen. The ones that I've bought have the larger handles so I guess they are from the newer batch. Before I change out the springs, I'll just spool them with some lines and fish with them on the weekend. If I'm lucky enough and I hook a sizable fish, I'll let you know how the 'play'ing part goes. ;)
Thanks again for all the info.

No sweat. Just reading fish stalker's post above.......was the deal you got $200 for reel AND rod or were they separate @$200?

I think I understood correctly that it was $200 for the combo.....heck of a deal you got if was $200 all in!!! :cool:

Had a few problems with my trophy. Namely the free spool mechanism fails and you end up with free spool only. Landed a 19lb white without any drag a few days ago and I'd just "fixed it" a couple weeks ago.

Time to try an islander spring maybe - not sure if that effects the free spool mechanism or not.

No sweat. Just reading fish stalker's post above.......was the deal you got $200 for reel AND rod or were they separate @$200?

I think I understood correctly that it was $200 for the combo.....heck of a deal you got if was $200 all in!!! :cool:

Yes - $200 for the rod and reel combo. No color choice though :D

Attachments

• IMG_6138.JPG
    IMG_6138.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6137.JPG
    IMG_6137.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6136.JPG
    IMG_6136.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 36
Had a few problems with my trophy. Namely the free spool mechanism fails and you end up with free spool only. Landed a 19lb white without any drag a few days ago and I'd just "fixed it" a couple weeks ago.

Time to try an islander spring maybe - not sure if that effects the free spool mechanism or not.

Hey GDW - Is your reel an older series like the 2nd one in Pippen's post? I'm starting to look for the part# for the right Islander spring. Mikes Reel Repair in Abby seems to have them in stock.

Hey GDW - Is your reel an older series like the 2nd one in Pippen's post? I'm starting to look for the part# for the right Islander spring. Mikes Reel Repair in Abby seems to have them in stock.

I don't think you need to find a specific part #......I just asked for Islander drag springs and got them from Pac Angler here in Vancouver.

Just hold on. I have some various machined prototype handles for those reels coming out from company. They will address this issue once and for all and require no drilling of reel. I dont like shimano handles myself. If I buy a machined reel I want something a little more high end. I drilled into my reel, and added the islander paddles with help of Wolf. The handles i will be making will be close to same as islander but a variety of different finishes. Just PM and I will keep you in loop.

Back