motor well or pod, that is the question

should i put a well in or a pod on

• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

ian rogers

IMG_3340[1].JPG sanny 1.PNG well well.PNG I picked up a 1976 Cormorant a few months ago, that is in ok condition. everything works, runs well with the stock? 140 hp merc and merc 1 sterndrive. I have had a problem with the leg and have replaced it twice, as these old units are expensive to rebuild, I have found old ones and just swapped it out. I am not sure how much longer the power plant will run, but I hope it gets me thru the season. I am wondering if Sangster made this model, or any model with an outboard transom? I am not big on pods (on smaller boats), as I don't want to add 3' to my 18' boat, then add the 400# as well., cantilevered outback. I am interested in putting an outboard on this at some point. I know there is a guy up the malahat that does transom well reformations... he will make it work for an outboard from $1500 and up. so I ask my self if the transom is thick enough to hold an o/b without to much extra re enforcing. if I were to cut down the transom to fit a long leg, glass it up to keep the wood dry, maybe a 1/4" aluminum plate inside and out, will it handle the loading? so if anyone has any input, it would be appreciated. oh ya I was thinking of putting a min 115 hp o/b, if it goes ahead.... any thought on size?? the boat weighs around 2200 lbs

I put a pod on my boat and I'm pretty happy with it, but I would take a hard look at whether your boat is worth the effort. If you go with a newer outboard, it will eclipse the value of the boat. I guess you could unbolt it for the next boat if need be... Put an old 2 stroke on the back and you might not get any more reliability and parts availability than you currently have.

As far as power goes, I would think a 115 to 150hp would be fine.

I'm not an expert but a well with a G2 150hp etec on the back would make you happy for a long time.

I went through this a few years back at same time Wwunder did his Malibu. He is right . Make sure this is worth it to you. There is a chance you go through all this effort and the day you sell its worth less than what you put in.

I chose in my case to keep what I had and it was the right decision. I personally wouldn't pod a sangster that size, and for some reason pod or not have low resell value. It is a very old hull. If you can get by for now trade it in down road and get a boat with the pod you want. If you decide to do podding 150 for that as they are very heavy boats.

newer 4 stroke power and a pod will set you back approx $10-12K
might be better to look for another package rather than dump a pile of $$ in a 40 year old boat ?

Some valid opoints here re value of boat and return on investment. My 2 cents worth is that, in general, podding makes more sense for this size boat than for larger ones where the inboard cover is less obtrusive and the cost of outboards runs to tens of thousands. Freeing up 10 square feet by losing the engine cover as well as gaining 2 feet of usable length, that is a huge step up for an 18 ft hull. On say a 26 foot hull those gains have less impact (and they cost a lot more).

Does it make sense for this particular hull? I doubt it. The OP hasn't owned it long enough to know what sort of shape the hull is really in - could be stringer and transom issues as well. I'd say sell now while it's still worth something and put the cash into another rig. It'll be worth virtually zero if sold with failed powertrain - that's how most inboard-to-pod conversions begin.

I would have to agree with others that an old boat like that you'll never get close to your money back at resale.I'm a retired shipwright and I look at older boats all the time with the thought of restoring them but the economics never makes sense .That said, if I ever run across a 23 Uniflite Salty Pup at the right price,I'd love to put a pod on one of those.

I've seen them in Seattle in the 15-20000 range but at that price plus a $2500 pod,$25000 main,rewire,new tank,kicker,paint etc.,I might as well go buy a near new Pursuit.I like to dream.

Back