How Many Times Have You Been Stopped By DFO.

casper5280

Crew Member
Just out of interest how many times have you been stopped by DFO or anyone for that matter? I've been fishing for about 40 years and have been stopped 5 times, and the last time was about 25+ years ago. It was a DFO guy and a RCMP guy on a zodiac in Bamfield Harbour. We had no fish and the DFO guy was more concerned that the guy I was with as native and had a valid status card and started to tell him he needed a fishing license. Which he does not.
So in my case I get stopped on average every 8 years or every 25+ years. Which ever way you look at it. Every 3 years the first 15 years and then nothing for the next 25. I fish on average 30 to 40 days a year, and in the boat a lot more then that. Definitely luck of enforcement as we all know.
I was almost in a stop once in Beacher Bay and there was a great check there. DFO, RCMP, and Canadian Power Squadron. CPS was doing free checks on your boat to make sure you had all your gear. RCMP watching for DUI's, and DFO checking your fish. All real low key and friendly, perfect timing just after lunch when most guys are coming in.
DFO was right on the dock when guys were coming in, CPS checking your boats once they were on the trailer, and RCMP just watching the whole thing.
CPS gave you a sticker for your boat if you passed so you didn't need to be checked again.
This is the kind of enforcement we need, anyway just like to hear others comments on this. Thanks

I think how often you encounter them has to do with where you are fishing too. I have only been fishing here for about 5 years and I have been stopped twice already. I'm in the Lower Mainland. Once the RCMP zodiac was parked in Steveston channel intercepting all boaters heading in and out of Steveston No.2 Road launch. They did a safety check and gave me a warning because one of my safety items was too deeply buried in the cuddy and it took me too long to find it and show to him. Made me better organize my cuddy, so it wasn't a bad thing. The second time DFO was literally parked at MacDonald Beach ramp lot in their truck and checking all fishermen as they docked. They checked licenses and had a quick peek at each boat's catch. Never been checked while out in the fishing grounds itself.

Only once, and just a week ago by boys out of area just trying out their new boat. Glad to see them out. Wish there were waaaaay more of them.

I go out around a hundred and fifty times each year. I've been stopped by DFO maybe 15 times. Three of those times being this year. Last year I was also stop by and Joint Patrol between the u.s. Coast Guard the RCMP and the Canadian Coast Guard. It was a U.S. Coast Guard vessel in Canadian Waters with an RCMP member on board giving them authority toboard your vessel.

Not once in 7 years fishing Campbell River or Coal Harbour/Quatsino sound. I did hit the creel survey a couple of times one year.

In july at the boat launch in ladner. Dfo and bc conservation. Only time for me. We did see the delta police on the water a couple times this summer but no direct interaction with them personally. Once at the wellington launch this year we saw a couple land based delta police who appeared to be issuing a DUI to a boater but I don't know for sure that was the issue.

I was boarded last year in Port Renfrew while on anchor for Halibut. We had 2 Springs on board and he asked if I would mind telling him what secret setup we used. I told him and it was in a box near by. He immediately checked for a barbed hook on that setup but we were clean as always.

Same as some others. Fished for over 40 years and been checked less than 10 times. Only checked during salmon season on our local river and lake. Never been checked anywhere else. Even the salt. Was gonna get checked at a mica creek derby back in 92-93 but the DFO boat wouldnt start that day.

Never by DFO for me. Been stopped by the police twice off Vic waterfront last year and the year before where they went through all my safety gear, boaters license and boat registration. They were super polite nice guys.

Once a year usually, stopped in Nootka this year, browns bay last year, CR hump the year before, from 50 feet away patiently watched me land a fish single handed then did a licence safety check.

only once in 40 years at Nootka 5 years back by CG. Asked why i was stopped in a non-retention area. We were bear watching not fishing

RCMP has been at the French Creek ramp quite a few times this year making sure people had all their safety gear, boating license and boat registration. One night dfo had a few guys their checking everyone's catch as they came in but that's been my only experience. The guy next to us had two very undersize springs that he filleted out on his boat...needless to say they had a talk with him. Wish they had the manpower to do more.

Been checked once in my lifetime by DFO, and it was about 25 years ago. I heard they did have a boat out in Renfrew this weekend checking for barbs, bet they used a lot of ink. Saw a few guys fiddling with hooked shakers over the side of the boat for longish periods of time. Doesnt take me long to pop my barbless trebles out even if all 3 are buried in its throat.

I 've been checked many times by DFO both on water and ramp checks.
also by RCMP for safety gear.
In the last few years, not so much.
Might have something to do with their level of funding.

We were approached by RCMP speedboat once in Alberni Inlet at Coleman Creek (south of ten miles point) about 4 decades ago. They were checkin' if we had lifejackets in the boat. We showed them our lifejackets. They approved and sped away. RCMP can go far to remote areas to check fishermen.

Back