Study casts doubts over Fraser River sturgeon fishery

WHO funded the study? Seems like noise.
Click on te 2nd link I posted. Author's affiliations:

Montana F. McLean1,*, Kyle C. Hanson2, Steven J. Cooke3, Scott G. Hinch4, David A. Patterson5, Taylor L. Nettles5, Matt K. Litvak6, and Glenn T. Crossin

1Department of Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
2US Fish and Wildlife Service, Abernathy Fish Technology Center, Longview, Washington, USA 98632
3Department of Biology, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
4Department of Forest and Conservation Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z4
5Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Cooperative Resource Management Institute, School of Resource and Environmental Management, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5A 1S6
6Department of Biology, Mount Allison University, Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada E4L 1G7

Acknowledgements
A special thank you to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Abernathy Fish Technology Center for the use of their captive population of white sturgeon, as well as to the facility staff for help with logistics and hands-on work. The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The use of trade names does not imply endorsement by the US Federal Government. Thanks also to P. Szekeres, G. Neely, A. Hanson, J. Beardsall, N. Fowler and K. Hawke for help during the experiment, M. Stokesbury (Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada) for the use of field and laboratory equipment, and E. Stoddard and the Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource Operations in British Columbia for Fraser River water temperature data. Lastly, we thank two anonymous reviewers and the editor for their helpful comments and suggestions to improve the quality of our manuscript.

Funding
This work was supported by grants from the Canada Foundation for Innovation and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada to the Ocean Tracking Network. Research was also supported through an NSERC Discovery Grant to G.T.C. and an NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Canadian Graduate Scholarship to M.F.M. All protocols conformed to regulations established by the Canadian Animal Care Committee and permits issuedby the Dalhousie Animal Care Committee (protocol #04-12).

Looks quite legit SV.

The study called for further research
Naturally
The aboriginal Lower Fraser Fishing Alliance is urging the province to suspend the catch-and-release fishery, saying it is “undoubtedly causing stress that may lead to reduced reproductive capability and potentially death” during this summer’s unusually warm temperatures on the lower Fraser.
If Ken Malloway is a scientist then I'm the Emperor of China
He also believes natives should be able to keep sturgeon caught as bycatch during beach seining for chum salmon in fall.“We wouldn’t keep them all, we just want some for our elders,” he said.
Nice sentiment but if he wants to feed his elders sustainable fish way doesn't he buy it like everyone else?

The article is poorly written, biased, but the study itself has some good nuggets. A seasonal closure in winter, and when water temps are too high is something to consider, close known spawning areas another reg to consider, and making some of the current guidelines for fish handling into regulations.

This is awesome to see. The sturgeon fishery ain't what is used to be when it was just a handful of boats on the lower Fraser. Now everybody is a guide...lol. These fish get shitkicked everyday with the amount of pressure. There 100% needs to be a closure in the winter. You have 3 or 4 guide companies pounding wintering holes everyday now from December till April. Remember when it was unspoken rule amongst us as guides that you wouldn't fish sturgeon during the winter!!!! But I guess cash rules over ethics and the good of a species. There needs to be a closure from November 1 till the end of March. By the end of October the ones in the lower have there mouths looking like someone has taken a hole punch to them. Regulate the amount of guides and how many rod days they can have. It has gotten out of control with the amount of pressure and people guiding for them.
Another thing that definitely does not help is the netting and especially the Albion test fishery that cleans up on the 4ft and smaller fish 8months of the year. Luckily most of the bigger sturgeon will just shred a net.
And if people only knew some of the big name guides who purchase illegally caught Fraser Chinook in May,June, and July to use as bait for trips. Absolutely sickening. Also great hearing about the guides ***** about no Thompson steelhead yet they have no problem buying fresh chum roe from the FN.....

Rodney Hsu has sturgeon fished maybe a dozen times in his life.
His website is paid for by sturgeon guides.
Yet another fishery he is speaking about with very little experience.
His views are more than a little biased..

These reports are so full of fart gas it makes me gag! Anything with Ken Malloway involved causes me to turn and run,,, as quick as my old legs can move!
I see so many biased reports,unscientific info gathering and guessing on stats to fill reports.

Back