2016 Sooke Reports

Fished the JDF Derby with my 2 sons Saturday,24.2, 17, and a 10.3 coho for 9th place.Lost a few also,lots of fish caught Saturday in great flat calm weather..Sunday we wondered why boats were returning at 5:15 A.M until we rounded Whiffen Spit and took a huge wave over top of our boat,turned around and returned to the marina. .Made for a relaxed final day and we really enjoyed the much improved derby venue, great food this year and much more organized.Our 9th prize was a Titan rod and Coast reel worth 7-$800.

Out for the JDF Derby on Sat. late and fish out front mostly staying away from Possession, which was a complete combat fishing zoo with so many boats coming from every direction. Nothing big for us but still managed a 12 lb plus hatch Chinook, a 10 lb Chinook and a 9 lb plus Hatch Coho which gave us three draws and got drawn once for a flasher and teaser heads. Got up early Sunday and went around the spit at very early first light and ran into the current hitting the strong south westers and some very sloppy short stacked waves. Some nice bangs falling off waves and a couple of them put a little green water on the windshield. Had a large displacement type boat coming up on our stern, so went out a little farther to give the bigger boat room and in towards the spit and a bit closer to the other side where it was a little more protected from the wind. Did a quick power turn on top of a wave and got our butt back around the spit and that was it for our Derby.

Last edited:
Fished today 6:30-2pm. Nothing but jack springs until 1pm. Managed to pick up a 16 spring and a hatch Coho. Very slow morning at the shack and the head.

Out today in Sooke (0630-1100), stayed close, fished Possession Point, & Secretary Island. Alot of boats there today. Picked up a 16lb Spring that gave up a great fight. Was on bait at 50 ft. The weather was great lots of sunny and no wind, No Like Sunday !!!!!! Also let go two nice Coho. Fishing is great, now that I have to go back to work......Pay for the gas, & bait I guess ????

fished the derby all weekend as well in my buds 17 tyee. saturday was flat calm, we launched from james bay, ripped to pedder, dropped gear, trolled to secretary, then pulled gear and motor'd to muir creek.
lots of shakers, got a nice wild coho we had to release, then we caught an 9lb chinook which won us a guided hali trip with foghorn charters! sweet!
left from james bay early sunday, fished the breakwater, waves got crazy around 10, got some big ones combined off the pilot boat, then tried fishing inside the breakwater lol
gave up around 1030 as we were blown off the water.

Wed morn fished secretary couple of pin poppers couple of shakers and 2 nice hatchery coho action was the same on green white coyote and anchovy in Chrome and green teaser all in all great day

Fished 7:30am until 2:30pm today under the blazing sun. Very hot out there!

Went to Sheringham and passed way fewer boats at Muir than has been the case recently. About 5 other boats at the light. Trolled up and down for 4 hours without a touch and did not see anyone else catch a fish either. Headed back to Muir against the tide about 11:30am and managed to pick up a feisty little 7lb fish in the middle of nowhere. We were not doing anything different than we had done all day, except we had just got out the lunch. Why is it getting out the lunch or coffee often triggers a bite?!;)

Anyway trolled right through Muir without a touch and called it a day. Only about 5 boats left in the area.

Big fire going over on the Olympics by the look of things. Rain forecast for Sat/Sun. Hope that cools the fire danger and maybe brings back the fish!:)

Finally the fish was male, yet again. Every single one of my fish this summer (which admittedly has not been many) was male. Why is that I wonder?o_O

Fished 7:30am until 2:30pm today under the blazing sun. Very hot out there!

Went to Sheringham and passed way fewer boats at Muir than has been the case recently. About 5 other boats at the light. Trolled up and down for 4 hours without a touch and did not see anyone else catch a fish either. Headed back to Muir against the tide about 11:30am and managed to pick up a feisty little 7lb fish in the middle of nowhere. We were not doing anything different than we had done all day, except we had just got out the lunch. Why is it getting out the lunch or coffee often triggers a bite?!;)

Anyway trolled right through Muir without a touch and called it a day. Only about 5 boats left in the area.

Big fire going over on the Olympics by the look of things. Rain forecast for Sat/Sun. Hope that cools the fire danger and maybe brings back the fish!:)

Finally the fish was male, yet again. Every single one of my fish this summer (which admittedly has not been many) was male. Why is that I wonder?o_O
That's funny because all my springs this year at Sooke were male except one and the month before in Winter Harbour all our springs were male.. Not that there was too many of them lol :) I don't think this is a good thing..

That is interesting! When we fished Renfrew end of last week for 2 days, 6 of 8 springs were ripe females. Maybe they travel in gender schools now.

Fishing Otter yesterday 5pm - 9 pm. About 20 boats around. Beautiful weather and barely any kelp / debris in the water. Very relaxing fishing. A little bit of stress came up about 6:30-7:30pm when some good sized hard fighting cohos made their way through Otter. After all I caught a few shakers and cohos that I all released. No big fish for me nor did I see any big fish caught despite the number of boats around.
I was fishing mainly in 80-100 ft of water with the riggers at 55 and 75 using anchovies. Both rods got fish.
Another highlight was a single Orca coming through that passed my boat at close distance. Would have been a perfect picture if I would have a cam.

Gave it another go under the blazing sun today. Decided to fish the 11:00am until 5:00pm shift. Also, since west has been disappointing lately we went east and trolled the Trap and went down to Beechy Head too. Not many boats at the Trap – more at Beechy. Got one hit which I think was a coho from what I glimpsed when it surfaced but it came off and so we shall never know.

There were many herring balls appearing all afternoon at the Trap and we went around them and through them several times but got no hits. Amazing sight to see with all the murres diving under and around the herring ball. We netted a small scoop. Only 4” long but they will do for bait in a small teaser. Next year with all the pinks they will be cheaper than anchovies!!:)

Funny with all that bait around and no fish. Over the past two days we have trolled for 13 hours and had two hits and one 7lb fish to the boat. I might go out with a buddy next week, but otherwise I will stay in dock until October. Hopefully the coho will be good but there sure is no fish now. We passed dozens of boats from Beechy to Possession today and never saw a single hook up.

Summer 2016 AUG 4 006.JPG Was out today, it was a very beautiful day. Light winds and Lots of boats and the odd fish or two until the killer whales showed up at Possession Pt. Was nice to see them but the fishing slowed down after they showed up. Got a 15.5lb just off of Possession on bait at 55ft, had a time with it because I was alone. Lots of fun....

Attachments

• Summer 2016 AUG 4 008.JPG
    Summer 2016 AUG 4 008.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Summer 2016 AUG 4 007.JPG
    Summer 2016 AUG 4 007.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Summer 2016 AUG 4 001.JPG
    Summer 2016 AUG 4 001.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Summer 2016 AUG 4 002.JPG
    Summer 2016 AUG 4 002.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Summer 2016 AUG 4 003.JPG
    Summer 2016 AUG 4 003.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Summer 2016 AUG 4 006.JPG
    Summer 2016 AUG 4 006.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 46
Took Fireballer out to possession for a few hours tonight from 630-830. Night bite was on, probably saw 15 fish get caught. No luck for us released a small spring and lost probably my biggest hit of the year. Rod tip was in the water when I got it and I could barely hang on as it was pulling. That one will be On my mind for a few days...lol Couldnt ask for better weather and flat calm. I heard west was slow so might try the head tomorrow and try and follow the fish.

Fished Mon-Fri 7:30 - 12:30 in all spots (Aldridge, Beechy, Trap, Possession and Secretary). Only keepers were an 11 lb Spring and a 5 lb hatch coho on Tuesday. Released a wild coho. Weather and conditions were great.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the surface water temp around sooke and how much it fluctuates throughout the day? I'm fishing further 'downstream' JDF where its consistently 50-52 deg throughout the day.

Back