2016 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

Harbour Air just generously added to their sponsorship with a night in their corporate suite at the Veterans Memorial Arena to watch a Royals game. This is for 6 persons and I was told some bevi's would be included!! We are going to award this to the person who just misses out on the top 10. We are going to call it the "I Just Missed Out Prize" or 11th place works too... lol

I wanted to put out a big thank you to the following tackle manufacture sponsors for being so very generous again this year. I'm still organizing all the grab bags and have to make a run for more zip lock bags to finish these up. These guys really step up and support our efforts, they are: Oki Tackle, Hot Spot Lures, Durabaits, AP Tackleworks and Protroll Fishing Products. Also a thank you to SG Power Products, Sherwood Marine Centre and Yamaha for their generous donations to these draw grab bags.

And still bagging up more!

A couple more sponsors have stepped up in the past few days. Krippled Lures in Sooke have donated 1200 bulk teaser heads so everyone who enters and attends the awards banquet will be going home with a few new bait heads. Also Pedder bay marina is donating a months moorage, a $300 credit to their tackle store and a $100 voucher to the Oak Bay Restaurant. A big thank you to both companies.

Here is why we fish our guts out in August as it is typically the most consistent month of the year and close to the last kick at the can until next summer. Get out and enjoy our local fisherty as it will be another long winter soon enough...and you might as well have a chance at $20,000.00 for one hell of a winter getaway vacation if you are on the water fishing anyway. Buy your tickets in the next few days to ensure you get the buffet meal at the banquet. We will be submitting our food order soon!

I spoke to our catering company for the banquet this afternoon. (Food For Thought) They have extended the deadline for us to commit to our final numbers being fed the roast beef buffet until August 17th. That works well as the final pub registartion night is Tuesday the 16th at the Tally Ho Sport Bar from 5-9pm. That final pub night is your last chance to be included in the food servings and to buy into the jackpots.

The final pub registration night is this coming Tuesday from 5-9 pm at the Tally Ho Sports bar, We will have tickets there for sale and those with tickets and who haven't made any of the 3 previous pub nights have their final night to pick up window stickers, rule booklets, hats, t-shirts and to enter any of the jackpots. Tickets will be sold right up to Friday but any tickets sold after Tuesday will require that you meet up with myself at my convenience to get the items just mentioned. Tickets are purchased very easily online with either a Visa or Mastercard. Some are under the impression they need a Paypal account...you do not, just your credit card. The tournament is set up with Paypal to take those credit card payments. Cash ticket sales are available at our retail outlets. (Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Alpine marine & Eagle Eye in Sooke) The biggest and one of the last derbies of the season and one that is hoping to raise money for the Sooke Chinook net pen project that begins with egg collection in just a couple months. SVIAC memberships also fund the tireless lobbing work done by Chris Bos on behalf of both south Vancouver Island anglers and the fish we need in our streams to allow us to continue our pastime. I hope many of you will be joining us this coming weekend (August 20th & 21st) as a lot of work has gone into making this a great fishing and social weekend event. Oh did I forget there is $20,000.00 and bragging rights up for grabs too!!

Chinook fishing has finally turned hot and there have been a few just under 40 pounds taken this week. Perfect timing for the tournament this weekend. I don't think we could ask for a better weather forecast either!!!! Tickets have been selling much better the past 2-3 days and it looks like we will sell quite a few more up until the retail sales end around 4pm Friday. Online sales can continue Friday night but those buying online must make arrangements to pick up their tickets,window stickers and hats from me at my home. I won't meet anyone after 9 pm so effectively that will be the cutoff for online sales.

I got tickets online for the derby and bought a membership for SVIAC, and the rules say to weigh in a fish I must show membership for SVIAC. I have an emailed receipt and I went through the steps to join SVIAC on the website, but I have no physical proof other than the receipt on my phone. will that work?

Paty, yes myself and Chris get all Paypal transactions emailed to us as soon as you buy. So worst case scenario Chris would look up your payment on Paypal which he can easily do by name. So no worries just go catch the winner!

The Derby turned out great this year,good food,lots of prizes for fish caught and draw prizes.Very organized and well run derby thanks to Rollie,Chris and many volunteers.I hope they achieved their goal for salmon enhancement.Maybe Rollie can enlighten us on # of participants and # of fish caught on Saturday and the very windy Sunday morning?

Ray..I wouldn't even attempt that right now I'm drinking LOL I will ask Chris to crunch numbers and post it here himself once he has the stats and the financials done. Thanks to everyone who suported us this year. I think those who attended would have to agree that this year went quite well and the venue, food and sound system were A1. We have already figured a system for next year that will speed up the backlog at the scale at the end of the day. Thank you for your patience this year in the scale lineup on Saturday. We will fix that for next year.

Would like to also thank the derby Staff on this years derby, very well done. Big improvement over last year, not knocking previous years. I too hope you made your goals. Had a buddy from Alberta fly in just to fish this weekend's derby and he loved it all, couldn't believed how well it was run. Plus he was happy that he won the 400 piece tool set for just weighing in a fish. Thanks for all the hard work. See you next year.

Great Derby, Great Banquet
I really enjoyed Chris' talk about the net pen project, finally we fishermen are taking matters into our own hands. Way to go SVIAC.....keep up the good work boys!

Darin

So what size was the winning fish? Did one of our forum guys win the 20k?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Brian Croslley won it with a 28 lb+ fish that he caught Sunday morning in all the wind. Said he knew what was winning it Saturday, weighted it in the boat and knew it was bigger and headed to the scales and called it a day. Won the $20000 plus the side bet $6600? plus a $1000 floater suit. The sad one was there was a 32lb that didn't make it to the scales on time despite their best effort.

Depsite the wind the top fish from Saturday which was 28.2 got beat by the eventual winner at 28.7 caught by Brian Crossley. Brian also won the $100 Team Jackpot which was $6,100.00. Stormtech also donated a $1000.00 all weather jacket and pant set which Brian can take to Out Of the Blue Designs to get a proper fit and have it embroidered with tournament logo and then personalized with 2016 champions info. I will put up moe complete info here and on the tournament website this week. Today I'm trying to have a non derby task day...lol

We have to look at numbers which will take maybe a week or so to see where we came out this year. If we think this years dip in sales was a one time occurrence because of a combination of early season restrictions, change of date and for the most part poor fishing most of the summer then we may continue. This will also depend on us attracting a proper committee of volunteers who would share the load in organizing this event as this just way to much work for one or two people to do on their own. With a proper committee of people the tournament would continue to improve as a well run and fun event for all. I've already indicted to the SVIAC board that I'm not prepared to take on the work load I've undertaken the past 3 years, again next year. I'm prepared to continue to do many of the important tasks related to sponsors and promotion that for the most part takes place early in the year and outside of my own personal commitments with my charter fishing business. I enjoy helping with the banquet but would like to see someone else take on the job of being the banquet manager so I can take on a lesser role and enjoy that day in a more relaxed frame of mind and be able to spend my time thanking everyone for supporting the tournament and SVIAC. If the participants are happy with my stage presence I don't mind being the MC. I find that with each year that the job on stage gets easier and more natural so that i can relax and be myself up there. Who knows one year I may be brave enough to do some stand up!! LOL Not!! As many sponsors require that they be approached at the end of this year we will have to make a decision to continue before then. If anyone wants to throw their hat into the ring and become involved and help us out it will go a long way to convincing us to continue. It could be a very easy and minimal time commitment event to run for all involved if the proper man power was available to us. Obviously someone who is retired or semi retire is a prime candidate for us.

So here are the top lucky winners.

1st - 28.7 lbs $20,000.00 cash Brian Crossley - caught on Sunday and weighed in at 8:53am
2nd - 28.2 lbs 15 HP Mercury Pro Kicker Outboard - Alan Woodrow - caught on Saturday and weighed in at 11:30am value $5,000.00
3rd - 26.7 lbs - Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 3 Sounder/GPS Combo & 3G Radar - Jamie Heggelund caught on Sunday and weighed in at 9:10am value $3,800.00
4th - 25.7 lbs - $2,500.00 Canadian Tire Shopping Spree - Darryl Dyck caught on Saturday and weighed in at 3:48 pm
5th - 25.5 lbs - Complete Halibut Fishing package - Lorenzo Fardella caught on Saturday and weighed in at 3:59pm $2,000.00
6th - 24.8 lbs - 2 Scotty High performance Downriggers - John Brohman caught on Saturday and weighed in at 11:52 value $1600.00
7th - 24.7 lbs - Islander MR-2 large Arbour Mooching Reel & $500.00 Gas Card - Chris Arnott caught on Sunday and weighed in at 10:10amvalue $1200.00
8th - 24.5 lbs - 9500 lb Westin T-Max Winch - Brent Comer caught on Sunday and weighed in at 11.23 am value $1000.00
9th - 24.1 lbs - Trophy XL Titan 9 Ft Rod and Coast DR-1 Mooching reel - Jamie Hawthorne caught on Saturday and weighed in at 5:00pm value $900.00
10th - 23.8 lbs - Complete Prawn Fishing package - Michael Fleming - caught on Saturday and weighed in at 4:39 pmvalue $700.00
I Just Missed (11th place) - Royals game For 6 in A Private Suite With refreshments - Bernard Gooding caught on Saturday and weighed in at 5:00 pm value $300.00
Largest Hatchery Chinook - 20.7 lbs - 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust Outboard - Al Teng caught on Saturday and weighed in at 5:00 pm value $4150.00
Largest Salmon By A lady - 21.8 lbs - Complete Peetz Fly Fishing Package - Jean Kennedy caught on Saturday and weighed in at 1:35 pm value $1,000.00
Largest Halibut - 51.3 lbs - Shockwave Seat System - Gerrit Schoeman caught on Saturday and weighed in at 4:40 pm value $2500.00
Junior Winner - 13.0 lbs - Brodie Tact Bike and $300.00 Canadian Tire Shoing Spree - Teegan Harding caught on Saturday and weighed in at 4:50 pm value $1100.00
Hidden Weight - (14.9 lbs) - 14.8 lbs - Canon Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera - Shaun Trowsdale caught on Saturday and weighed in at 4:30 pm value $700.00
Hidden Time (11:17 Sunday) - 7.8 lb Hatchery Coho - Coast Dr2.0 Mooching Reel - James Pratt caught on Sunday at 11:17 am value $700.00
#1 Fish Draw - 10. 8 lbs - 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust Outboard - Brian Starling value $3200.00
$100 Team Jackpot - 28.7 lbs $6,600.00 Brian Crossley
$250 Team jackpot - 23.8 lbs $2,000.00 - Mike Fleming
Exact Weight Accumulator Jackpot (21.6 lbs) - 21.6 lbs $8,240.00 - Garth Wright caught on Sunday and weighed in at 11:30 am

Last edited:
Back