OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a sneaky morning out at sandheads. With the NW it was ok running down to the south arm but a bit of a washing machine once there and it picked up by the time we pulled lines at 9:30am. There were a dozen boats there by the time we left but I'd be surprised if they all stayed long unless the wind starting coming down. We had a few jacks and a 2 keepers (13-14lb) before the bite died for us around 8:30. All on chovies at 30-50 ft. Great way to start the work day. Back in the office by 10:30... no harm no foul.

Big pod of residents at the north arm around 6:15am and they were heading south but we didn't see them on our way back so perhaps they headed across the Strait or it was just so damn rough out there we couldn't see them.

Congrats Dan!! I was on the Milltown boat fishing around you on Saturday I think...you were Rox-Ley that won right?

We had one on Saturday morning in the "sporty" water down at Sandheads that would have been in contention but lost it right at the boat. Tide/wind/tugboat/outflow chop made it pretty tossy-turvy water down there...hence why we bugged out and went to T-10.

Enjoyed the event and will definitely do it again next year!

Yes that was me! i heard of a few fish that where contenders but were lost close to the boat! The fish god and my good friends the "killer whales" definitely helped us out ;):)

Just got back from a sneaky morning out at sandheads. With the NW it was ok running down to the south arm but a bit of a washing machine once there and it picked up by the time we pulled lines at 9:30am. There were a dozen boats there by the time we left but I'd be surprised if they all stayed long unless the wind starting coming down. We had a few jacks and a 2 keepers (13-14lb) before the bite died for us around 8:30. All on chovies at 30-50 ft. Great way to start the work day. Back in the office by 10:30... no harm no foul.

Big pod of residents at the north arm around 6:15am and they were heading south but we didn't see them on our way back so perhaps they headed across the Strait or it was just so damn rough out there we couldn't see them.

Been out on the Chuck for over 1/2 a century ...... Can any one tell me how to tell the resident salmon herring eatin black fish from the Transient seal sea lion slayin killers that they are. Do guys Recognize them and call them by names? Just curious. ;):confused::D

Been out on the Chuck for over 1/2 a century ...... Can any one tell me how to tell the resident salmon herring eatin black fish from the Transient seal sea lion slayin killers that they are. Do guys Recognize them and call them by names? Just curious. ;):confused::D

I've certainly called them names before but they have yet to reply :)

While I'm not 100% certain they were residents it would be very rare to have a transient pod of killer whales travelling together in a group of 15-20 like we saw today. Transients typically travel in small groups close to the shoreline where they like to pick off their food. The resident J, K, and L pods typically travel/feed in larger groups like what we saw today. There are also some differences with dorsal fins, saddle patches, etc that make the 2 groups distinct though I'm not that well versed in that part of it. I'll attended a few 'whale' presentations by the experts in the field and they gave a few general guidelines to follow.... I could be wrong though. I'm sure a quick google search will provide more answers if you're interested.

Either way, it was a nice show to see en route to catch some springs at the south arm before they could arrive to ruin the party.

:rolleyes:;)Love the whale shows every time we get a chance, relatives and friends just freak out about it, over the years ya get kinda used to seeing them. Magnificent creatures, that said .... the other day some one quoted, must have been transients as they stayed away from the salmon so to speak. sorry but too funny. I've been lucky enough to not only see the feeding frenzy for salmon, but seals too by these beasts here locally. incredible to witness. But no I dont know them by name. Witnessing the J pod numerous times for years has been spectacular to say the least. Sure Wish the Transients would come back and clean up these dam Dump Bears of the sea .... our local seals. Please.

That said, with all these chase boats on them day after day after day ........ Im still surprised many slam a boater or kayaker for getting to close. Im sure whats going on in the whale watching end of things ..... certainly isn't doing them a lot of good. But then again, Im a sportfisher so I'm not doing them any good either. Im a codfish ..... Lol

Here's a story about some transients that had a whaleboat taking away their food the other day:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3732147

And....not to derail this thread but here is info from Orcalab on the differences between the two. Also states that transients (which I have been told as well) travel in smaller pods as it enables them to "efficiently hunt and catch their prey".

Physically, the two races are very similar but there are some differences. The top of the dorsal fin of Transient orcas tends to be more pointed than that of Resident orcas. Less obvious, the saddle patch ( the grey pigmentation along the side & behind the dorsal fin ) is further forward on Transients.
Now....back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Wish it was not so windy out there for me! can't wait to get out to T10

"Hanson’s results indicate that during the summer months, Chinook make up roughly 80 percent of the whales’ diet. Of those, about 90% are Fraser River Chinook, named for the river basin in British Columbia where they spawn. "

"Noren and her co-authors estimate that, during the summer months, the southern residents consume between one-eighth and one-quarter of returning Fraser River Chinook. In other words, the whales are taking a big bite out of the Fraser River Chinook run. And they will require still more if their population grows."

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2013/01/1_22_13killer_whale_chinook.html

Well hopefully ec will be wrong and get into a couple more lunkers tomorrow. Got the boat back up and running. Going to run out of the North arm tomorrow.

can't decide, sandheads or north arm tomorrow afternoon after work. Windyty has 10kt. We'll be in a 22' classic whaler, 88a.

Fished 6-12 yesterday, 30-90 feet, to jacks and one hatchery sockeye released. Bites came from 40-50. Never caught a clipped sockeye before, does anyone know where It would likely be headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back