Possession Point

Rockfish

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/383442461.html?mobile=true

Possession Point has had a 100 year run as an iconic sport fishing local. That seems to be coming to an end with plans to place a marina in the little bay between the Point and East Sooke Park. I have caught a lot of Chinook out of that little Bay in recent years, the largest being 29 lbs. There are a lot of Rock Reefs in the bay. I am not sure how much under water blasting and dredging would be required. It is an exposed bay especially with some storms and some wind directions. How much pressure will there be to wall it off with a breakwater?

It is a bait fish and sheltered Salmon holding area in strong current and a feeding area for Marine Mammals. I have watched Orcas breech close in on the Point.

Marina’s even the best of them are not inherently cleans locals. You have fuel and oil leaks from sloshing in fuel out of Gerry cans if there is no fuel dock and cracked legs from bad ramp launches etc. You have heavy and toxic metals from antifouling paint and zincs and there will always be a few who will run there macerators while docked from time to time. How long will it take till there is a shellfish closure in the bay and along the coast of world class East Sooke Park?

You may not be able to see it from Sooke Inlet but you can sure see it from the water and from the Point on the other end where East Sooke Park hikers can be seen enjoying the view on virtually any sunny summer day. Of course if they are looking across at Possession Point, they may not being enjoying the view, as they once did.

If a marina dock goes in there we will lose that fishing local and the entire iconic Possession and Secretary fishing area will be affected. Over time fishing patterns have developed to decrease conflicts and collision risks which are typically east to west and west to east and the area is well known for fast current and heavy thick fog in the summer and storms in the winter. A marina dock will add a significant cross flow travel pattern right through the sport fishing fleet and there will always be a few who will go up on step immediately when departing and blast through the fleet till the last second coming in.

One wonders why they are trying to rename Possession Point as Sooke Point?

I am curious what you think of this fellow Sooke anglers?

Last edited:
Is this in the closed area on the sooke side of possession?

I've seen whales go through there too but there hundreds of marinas along the coast I don't think another one will do damage. I'd prefer possession stay the way it is (was) but it's already too late for that.

No that is the west side of the Point and is not closed, but is a Chinook non retention zone after Aug. first to protect the Sooke Spawners. We are talking about the small little bay on the east side of Possession Point and one of my favorite little bays to go in and fish. I know every little reef in the navigable part of that little bay and have caught big Chinook off all of them.

There was a few good blips on the sounder last night in there.

I especially like the black pipes that run from the houses down to the water.. what a mess that place is... o_O

Do you mean iron mine bay then?

A marina in there would sure be odd. What's next? A new development and marina at the trap shack?

If I'm not mistaken and on the same page as Rockfish, as well as from what I've heard they are talking about the first bay east of possession before the gap

I wonder if that's the access road blasted into the cliff below the condo's on the point? Whole place looks pretty nasty from the water right now. A strong westerly can through HUGE waves into that bay, not sure it's the wisest location for a dock.

I finally get it.

The shore anglers would benefit from a huge butt breakwall and docks here. Put them right in the strike zone.

If this is going to go through somebody needs to ask the developer how much their annual contribution to the sooke hatchery/net pen project will be.

The value of those homes will certainly go up if dock space is included especially with that kind of access to the straight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
If you ask me this would be a big waste of money for the developer . The way fishing is going, restrictions, environment, FN, etc.......we will be lucky if we can fish in the near future. 30 years ago, maybe a good, not sure how it would hold in bad weather.

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/383442461.html?mobile=true

Possession Point has had a 100 year run as an iconic sport fishing local. That seems to be coming to an end with plans to place a marina in the little bay between the Point and East Sooke Park. I have caught a lot of Chinook out of that little Bay in recent years, the largest being 29 lbs. There are a lot of Rock Reefs in the bay. I am not sure how much under water blasting and dredging would be required. It is an exposed bay especially with some storms and some wind directions. How much pressure will there be to wall it off with a breakwater?

It is a bait fish and sheltered Salmon holding area in strong current and a feeding area for Marine Mammals. I have watched Orcas breech close in on the Point.

Marina’s even the best of them are not inherently cleans locals. You have fuel and oil leaks from sloshing in fuel out of Gerry cans if there is no fuel dock and cracked legs from bad ramp launches etc. You have heavy and toxic metals from antifouling paint and zincs and there will always be a few who will run there macerators while docked from time to time. How long will it take till there is a shellfish closure in the bay and along the coast of world class East Sooke Park?

You may not be able to see it from Sooke Inlet but you can sure see it from the water and from the Point on the other end where East Sooke Park hikers can be seen enjoying the view on virtually any sunny summer day. Of course if they are looking across at Possession Point, they may not being enjoying the view, as they once did.

If a marina dock goes in there we will lose that fishing local and the entire iconic Possession and Secretary fishing area will be affected. Over time fishing patterns have developed to decrease conflicts and collision risks which are typically east to west and west to east and the area is well known for fast current and heavy thick fog in the summer and storms in the winter. A marina dock will add a significant cross flow travel pattern right through the sport fishing fleet and there will always be a few who will go up on step immediately when departing and blast through the fleet till the last second coming in.

One wonders why they are trying to rename Possession Point as Sooke Point?

I am curious what you think of this fellow Sooke anglers?

Back