2016 Sooke Reports

3rd time out for us in the past two weeks(it was slow for us) finally got some spring action off of possession biggest was 14 lbs.
Also got into a school of hatchery coho. They are bigger then last year at this time.

Not bad day off secretary only 1 keeper bout 10 but 2 big wild coho 1of which had to be 12 and broke my heart to throw back lots of shakers green and white coyote and anchovy with green glow teaser 60 to 70 ft

I fished this afternoon 4pm to 8:30pm at Otter. Beautiful calm day. Most action was around 6pm. We caught a few shakers and 1 keeper. I got the 14lbs chinook at 55ft of 120ft of water on a spoon (Irish cream).
At about 7pm we had a great Orca show. Seemed they really liked it there.

Today kept a 9.5 lb hatchery coho, lost a similar sized chinook, caught a smaller chinook, lots of other smaller chinook and coho. On bait, coho killer and small baitrix. No large chinook today. Stomach contents were 4-5" herring in the chinook. Coho stomach contents were mostly digested but looked to be a type of salmonid.

I was fishing again from Otter to Muir and back. Fished from 12:30pm to 7:30pm. Again a beautiful day. When we came to Otter around noon another boat was playing a good sized salmon. So my hope was big. Anyhow the day actually was pretty slow. About 3pm we caught a 18 lbs chinook at 66ft on the downrigger in about 100 ft of water. Later on we hooked another fish. It didn't feel like a salmon and spit the hook after 5 sec. That was pretty much all action we had today.
The chinook was caught on a anchovy in UV green teaser head and Betsy flasher.

Made it back home..... but four days of fishing... ended up very well.
There are Spring there... thats for sure.
In the end... we all brought back out limit.
Overall average would be about 18 pounds. Largest was 24. Did not keep anything less than 10-12.
They are harder to find than previous years... but they are there.... for sure.
We would find the "hole" they are in and every time we pass through... bam.... heavy Spring.
Excellent action over the four days... non stop Springers!
Will be back for the anticipated Oct 1 wild Coho opening....

Fished yesterday in the derby at Sheringham Light 5-3. Ended up with 4 #12, #16,#18,#22.6 and lost 4, two of those were nice teenage fish at the side of the boat. One triple header that we only managed to get one in. All caught on bait 30-70 ft. Nice day out there, sunny and hot. All in all a pretty good day as some people are still not getting fish and most of the fish we saw getting caught were quite small. Weighted the fish in and was surprised that the 22 was holding down 6th place.
Went out this morning and what a difference a day makes. Blowing 22mph winds and no one is leaving the harbour. 20-25 ft boat taking waves over the roof at Wiffen Spit. Drove over to the weight in at Pedder and didn't look any better over that way. Don't think many are getting out today.
As of 7 this morning
1st 28.2
2nd 25.7
3rd 25.5
4th 24.8
5th 22.6
6th 22.6
7th 22.5
8th 22.4
9th 22.4
10th 21.8

Thanks for the report, Casper. Too bad about today's wind for those in the derby.
T2

Thanks for the update Casper....Derby website is down, bandwidth exceeded.

Didn't even bother trying to get out today......

Ya we went down there and sat and drank coffee and there was bigger boats than us(21ft bayliner/Alaska cabin) and they all turned back at the spit. One guy said he wasn't sure he was going to even be able to turn around at the spit, took 2-3 waves over there roof. Sat there till 7 and headed over the Pedder to see what was winning because the website was down. Don't believe there was that many fish weighted in today.

Why do a lot of the Sooke guides way over exaggerate the weight of there fish they post up on social media lol? Like a 22-25lb fish is still a beautiful fish!! I'm not gonna name any names but come on if your trying to lure people to come out with you just be real.. I've never seen so many charters catch 35-40lb fish LOL.. People come for the love of fishing and the Chance to land a 30+lber.. Wolf you know what I'm talking about :) Hope all is well with all the Sooke boyz out there still soaking lines!! Sooo jealous!!

Sooke Chinook.jpg
Why do a lot of the Sooke guides way over exaggerate the weight of there fish they post up on social media lol? Like a 22-25lb fish is still a beautiful fish!! I'm not gonna name any names but come on if your trying to lure people to come out with you just be real.. I've never seen so many charters catch 35-40lb fish LOL.. People come for the love of fishing and the Chance to land a 30+lber.. Wolf you know what I'm talking about :) Hope all is well with all the Sooke boyz out there still soaking lines!! Sooo jealous!!
Oh and here is a 37lber I got last week off Muir Creek ;)

It is illegal to: fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than 1 kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by a release clip.

I did not know this either as we only had 2lb weights last trip and the current was very strong and wished we had 3lbers lol :)

You can use the 3 lb as downrigger balls on lake troll size downriggers when trout fishing.

There have been a lot of big fish this year. More over 30 than recent years.
A couple more weeks of good fishing a head yet!!

Also good to see some bigger coho around this year. Hope we see a good fall fishery for them.
Great time to take some kids out. Easy gear fishing and tons of fun.

Fished Derby all weekend.

Saturday we got 3 teens and lost 2 others that were about the same.
Sunday we got out and back alive so that was good. LOL but no fish on board. We went out of Sooke with my 17 double eagle. Took one over the bow and one over the windshield. We then had to hide behind Secretary and fish Iron Man to Obrien.

Won a Texas Micky of Rye for a fish draw and won a Power Washer in the Raffle Draw.
All in all, not bad.

Tips

Reactions: RBL
Back