2016 Alberni Inlet

Looking forward to our alberni trip at the end of August! Thanks for the reports guys!

Quick question:
I have moored my 17ft fibreglass at a few marinas before for 4 days and never had an issue. This year China creek says I need 2 million liability insurance on the boat in order to keep it their. Now I called an insurance place and they quoted me 400$ for the year. My boat is only worth 5k so does not make much sense to do that. What do you other small vessel operators do?

I read on the forum that all you had to do is sign a waiver at China Creek if you don't have insurance. I have no idea if that's true, but you could always give them a call back and ask. There's also the option of using the launch every day. Yeah that's a bit of a pain but it's an option. I've done that sometimes when staying there. If you're there for a while it's cheaper and easier to buy an annual launch pass (if they still even have that).

I heard smaller boats may be covered by a CWF membership like Courtenay Fish and game. Not totally sure about this Boat size requirement may be the problem .

I was there 3 weeks ago and yes just sign a waver and your good to go
I think it is a "Ports Canada" federal mandate.
I think you can get a rider on your house policy, or your house policy covers you already, but I'd check it out before believing what I say, I am a fishing guy right ;)

Ended up getting a rider on our house policy. Costed 50$. Glad I can leave my boat there now! Looking forward to the trip. Hopefully there are some fish around! Aug 30th-sept 3rd is our trip.

Well tried my luck Saturday. Lot of logs on the way out. Started China Creek and trolled half way to Lone Tree turned around and headed down to China Creek then over to the other side and finished just past the slide at 0930. One hit (maybe) or was that a piece of bark. When a call went out asking "anyone have any luck" the air was quiet. Where were the fish of a couple days ago? I know of one boat that got a fish in the middle and that there were three boats that got close to their limit on Coho on an early bight. Later that afternoon I went back to work on the boat and my neighbour came back from the evening fish and they had a nice big Coho they caught between Polly's and Holm Isl. This was the only bite/fish they had all day. Though about going Sunday. Looked at the forecast and it didn't' look good but it could be wrong like it was a month ago (15kts forecasted and it was flat calm).

Got up at 0445 and checked the forecast. Forecast was still high but Big Wave Dave's site had the actuals at 2.4Kts. Called my buddy and headed down to the boat. Interesting winds, light and steady from the north with gusts from the south. Headed out and it was choppy. Figured to give it a shot anyways as my buddy heard tell that it was a good evening bite and I had seen a nice one. It was getting lumpy as we turned past Polly's. Pulled up short of China Cree and figured we troll back with the wind. Got excited when the wave from a passing boat and hitting the chop just right freed the line from the rigger clip. That was the only bit of action out there. Trolled past Polly's and into the middle of the harbour. Not a bite. Looked at the winds and decided to get in while the getting was good.

That was the weekend. Hind sight, maybe we should have gone down below Saturday. The fish are there and are coming this way. My only complaint is the number of logs out there. I've have marked more low floaters and deadheads this year than I have ever.

Thanks for the report! Talked to a guide who fished the inlet the past couple days and only hooked 1 Chinook. Fingers crossed it picks up. Cheers

All sectors have a share of the fish depending on the abundance for the year...
I know how it works. Abundance being the key word. If the hatchery doesnt have thier fish and fishing for the most part in the inlet is dead, I cant for the life of me come up with a reason for a commercial fishery on this stock. Sorry for the side track

fish are still coming and the commercial guys did very poorly...the fish are holding up some where on there way down....

I don't know about that some of the guys I have talked to have been doing pretty good in the sound.

Yep, sound has been great for the last 2 weeks or so. no question! Doesn't mean those fish are heading up the inlet. As I said guess we will see.

So what, Joe... Just wait and see then.

Leave the negativity off the thread as I wouldnt mind seeing some constructive chatter while pondering whether or not we make a trip to the inlet.

Was done at my boat at noon and saw 3 or 4 springs being cleaned from the inlet from the morning. Seemed there were some being caught today...

Reactions: RBL
Has any one seen any mackerel around the docks? I'd like to get some bait and take the kid fishing. I'm wondering if it's warm enough for them yet?

Back