2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Spent last 7 days in Bamfield, fishing is poor inside this year for sure. Charter boats where producing fish offshore 25 miles, if you can endure the ride, 2 m seas. Did not see any coho inside, came home with 5 fish all springs, biggest 23#, lots of small fish released, not sure whats going on. We have fished this area this time of year for the past 12 years, haven't seen it like this before. Still a great place to be, like the area and people.

No Coho inside? We found lots of nice coho at Swale and Effingham. Definitely more prolific than the springs. Most all of our fish (springs and coho) were caught on small chovies.

With my boat in Bamfield for the summer I got the chance to take my dad over for a trip this past weekend. Had a decent trip. All fishing on the inside as pops is pretty immobile. I prop him in a seat and give him the rod. He had never been and loved it. Thrilled with the whales. Had a hump back surface in a bait ball 10 ft from boat Fished all the spots to change up scenery. Hit springs at swale Sanford ed king and ship. All on chovie glo green set up except 1 on big coast set up that was our biggest at 21. Wasn't non stop but enough going on to keep things fun. . Guides coming from the rats nose were pretty loaded up. Guys were hitting at the wall aswell with bait and hootchies. Hope to get up again next week

Attachments

• WP_20160811_16_22_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160811_16_22_26_Pro.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 124
With my boat in Bamfield for the summer I got the chance to take my dad over for a trip this past weekend. Had a decent trip. All fishing on the inside as pops is pretty immobile. I prop him in a seat and give him the rod. He had never been and loved it. Thrilled with the whales. Had a hump back surface in a bait ball 10 ft from boat Fished all the spots to change up scenery. Hit springs at swale Sanford ed king and ship. All on chovie glo green set up except 1 on big coast set up that was our biggest at 21. Wasn't non stop but enough going on to keep things fun. . Guides coming from the rats nose were pretty loaded up. Guys were hitting at the wall aswell with bait and hootchies. Hope to get up again next week
Good on ya Morgan, was a pleasure meeting you and your father at dinner on Sat night. Great pic.............

Just back from a quick 2 night trip to Barkley. First time in the area so we were just hoping to learn some new water. Slept on the hook out in the Broken Group both nights.

Got into plenty of fish but of course you do need to work for them. Small anchovies, white uv cuttlefish worked the best for us @ 25-65ft. Our biggest Chinook was only about 20# with the majority being mid teen (I'm not complaining). There are some huge and very good fighting coho around as well as a sh#%t load of shakers and 5-10# springs, is that normal??

Guts of the springs had that same small baitfish in them mixed in with the odd small sandlance. Most action probably came from Swale but we tried dropping lines all over the place.

Beautiful area and we'll certainly be back.

Last edited:
I'm planning to spend a few days in fishing Barkley Sound next week, super excited to see the reports heating up!

It'll be my first time fishing the area and we're planning to launch in Port Alberni (Clutesi seems to be the best launch). What is the parking situation for a rig and boat trailer? Is there parking in the harbor, any concerns about theft/mischief?

Saw some pics and a report from a pal there this morning....looking good today!

Hey Pip, thanks for the update. Did your buddies get them inside, or offshore.

Hows the fog been lately. Seems like the guys in SOOKE have been socked in everyday from all their complaints.

Hey Pip, thanks for the update. Did your buddies get them inside, or offshore.

Hows the fog been lately. Seems like the guys in SOOKE have been socked in everyday from all their complaints.

Looks clear today and they are definitely fishing inside looking at pics with a nice grade of fish.

It was foggy yesterday though I believe.

Just got a report from a bud who is out there right now.

Said this morning was insane! played 20-30 fish, killed 6 and biggest was 28. All inside.

Good luck to anyone heading out on the weekend!

I'm planning to spend a few days in fishing Barkley Sound next week, super excited to see the reports heating up!

It'll be my first time fishing the area and we're planning to launch in Port Alberni (Clutesi seems to be the best launch). What is the parking situation for a rig and boat trailer? Is there parking in the harbor, any concerns about theft/mischief?
There is a lot down the road that is not monitored or you can park right at the launch for like 12/night with security. Worth it IMHO

Fished 2and a half days out by swale and just got back. Smaller springs mostly, biggest at 20lbs and some decent coho. Anchovies and small spoons. White hootchies. Lots of action but lots of feeders still. Ok but not the Barkley of past. Talked to lots of other boats on the water and all we're saying the same thing.

On a side note I dud manage to loose a real nice one off diplock. So if anybody somehow manages to bring in a good spring with a watermelon spoon and a gold/silver scale pattern flasher, that would be mine....... Apparently the rod I choose to use had a poorly tied on swivel to the mail and after the fish ran for about 3 minutes straight the knot came undone......just a nice tightly curled up section of line when we brought it in to investigate.... Also there is a hungry seal there that grabbed one of our fish today and took it to shore and broke the flasher off a s the line snagged up in the shore rocks.

Fished 2and a half days out by swale and just got back. Smaller springs mostly, biggest at 20lbs and some decent coho. Anchovies and small spoons. White hootchies. Lots of action but lots of feeders still. Ok but not the Barkley of past. Talked to lots of other boats on the water and all we're saying the same thing.

On a side note I dud manage to loose a real nice one off diplock. So if anybody somehow manages to bring in a good spring with a watermelon spoon and a gold/silver scale pattern flasher, that would be mine....... Apparently the rod I choose to use had a poorly tied on swivel to the mail and after the fish ran for about 3 minutes straight the knot came undone......just a nice tightly curled up section of line when we brought it in to investigate.... Also there is a hungry seal there that grabbed one of our fish today and took it to shore and broke the flasher off a s the line snagged up in the shore rocks.

seeing the previous reports, your making my anxiety worse.... going this weekend. proof is in the pudding!!!

Back