2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Spent Friday afternoon through til Monday at Moutcha Bay. Despite our boats fish finder not being able to locate bottom we did have a successful trip - at least compared to a lot of other boats up there! This pic was from Saturday's catch. We went out Sunday and landed another 4 springs plus a ling. Lost as many springs as we landed throughout the weekend. Also lost a good sized Hali out near the whistle can. Fish ranged from shakers to 25lbs. Most were 18-20lb size. San Carlos was good to us as was the whistle can. Blue and silver 3" spoon with black dots worked but most of our fish were caught on anchovy rigs using chartreuse firebrined bait. LOTS of boats had little to nothing to show for their efforts so we considered the trip to be pretty successful. Easily could've had our limit of springs if it weren't for a few inexperienced anglers on board.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 130
I have a pretty good contact in the Conuma hatchery that I talked to today. He said the DFO have down graded the run to just above 30k, From around 90k originally. There will most likely be ZERO commercial fishery of any sorts in the sound this year but that isn't in stone. He said there are a fair amount of fish already in the river and hatchery and they will get enough for brood. This isn't the worst they have seen but the pre-season hype, coupled with an actual dismal return, add to that jelly fish problem and the algae issue making the fish that are there tough to catch, equals some pretty disappointed fisherman. There are fish coming everyday but They are definitely not "late"

Last edited:
Reactions: RBL
The message seem to be getting through. If it calm go Outside above Esperanza.
If you must fish inside fish DEEPER than you normally would have in the past.
Inside use small glow flashy lures/hoochies or small anchovies.
FOJ call if you would like to talk 800 992 3252

I have a pretty good contact in the Conuma hatchery that I talked to today. He said the DFO have down graded the run to just above 30k, From around 90k originally. There will most likely be ZERO commercial fishery of any sorts in the sound this year but that isn't in stone. He said there are a fair amount of fish already in the river and hatchery and they will get enough for brood. This isn't the worst they have seen but the pre-season hype, coupled with an actual dismal return, add to that jelly fish problem and the algae issue making the fish that are there tough to catch, equals some pretty disappointed fisherman. There are fish coming everyday but They are definitely not "late"

Wow thanks for the update. Sadly, I must say I'm not surprised though. DFO's track record on predictions sucks. Do you know if they have downgraded the Robertson Creek run as well. Heads should roll at the DFO over this seasons mismanagement, but hey it's only the west coast so who really cares in Ottawa.

Wow thanks for the update. Sadly, I must say I'm not surprised though. DFO's track record on predictions sucks. Do you know if they have downgraded the Robertson Creek run as well. Heads should roll at the DFO over this seasons mismanagement, but hey it's only the west coast so who really cares in Ottawa.

I'm not a DFO fan by any means but it is after all a prediction and who knew that the Alaskans would take 500K as a quota and then completely blow by that!! We like to think these predictions are science but at best they are an educated guess with a little Voodoo math thrown in(which they are good at). Sometimes the best guess doesn't work and it looks like this year is an epic fail in the predictions department-- but heads to roll???? I doubt it and do we really want that? Get some doom and gloomer in there and just to be safe -closes the fishery till he's sure of what he's got. Better the Devil you know!!

If it was the private sector and your forecast for the years sales was off by that much you'd be out of a job. But working for the govt it's just to be expected, so no biggie. Very poor way to run any department, to reward incompetence. Perhaps it's time for some accountability.

But I mean what's important is the commercial sector all got huge increase in their take because of the screwed up predictions. So, we shouldn't be upset that the commie fleets took way more fish than they should have and runs could have been drastically harmed because of it. The other sectors took a big hit and the commercial fleets got a big increase before we ever got a shot at any of those fish. But hey its not science, so no harm, no foul. Well it could have caused a lot of harm, and yes heads should roll.

What I don't get is that a couple days a go they had a meeting and came to the conclusion that they are late and then downgrade the run to 30,000 a couple days later?

... So the fish are not in the river, but they are either later or very few.

Inshore for a spell due to weather. Thought I'd have a boo here for the hell of it...

It is now my opinion that these fish everyone (well - DFO anyway) suggests are coming back in huge numbers is little more than a pipe dream. Area G has been fishing the August plug fishery for at least a decade now. I've been there each & every time. There has NEVER been a year that this fishery lasted more than 5 days - most years all but 2 or 3.
NOT the case this year. We struggled for six days to put aboard a catch that would usually represent a medium fishing day - as in singular. The water offshore is coffee with a hint of cream, and too damn warm. The few fish that are present look to me to be Robertson's on their way down (smaller than usual average). And their numbers are very low. Ain't just us, around 40 trollers worked that area HARD for the time we were offshore. All report the same thing. In a nutshell, it sucks.

The Ladz are poised and waiting this blow to pass by, and will get back at it again. I hope for their (and your) sakes the fish do show up. As for me, I cashed in the chips. Going sportying for a few days with Ma & Pa, then wrapping the season early and headed out to kill **** with a rifle.

Wish the news were better...

The not so cheery Nog

Inshore for a spell due to weather. Thought I'd have a boo here for the hell of it...

It is now my opinion that these fish everyone (well - DFO anyway) suggests are coming back in huge numbers is little more than a pipe dream. Area G has been fishing the August plug fishery for at least a decade now. I've been there each & every time. There has NEVER been a year that this fishery lasted more than 5 days - most years all but 2 or 3.
NOT the case this year. We struggled for six days to put aboard a catch that would usually represent a medium fishing day - as in singular. The water offshore is coffee with a hint of cream, and too damn warm. The few fish that are present look to me to be Robertson's on their way down (smaller than usual average). And their numbers are very low. Ain't just us, around 40 trollers worked that area HARD for the time we were offshore. All report the same thing. In a nutshell, it sucks.

The Ladz are poised and waiting this blow to pass by, and will get back at it again. I hope for their (and your) sakes the fish do show up. As for me, I cashed in the chips. Going sportying for a few days with Ma & Pa, then wrapping the season early and headed out to kill **** with a rifle.

Wish the news were better...

The not so cheery Nog
Thanks Nog-I was wondering how you and the plug fishery were doing-suspicions confirmed!! Does that coffee coloured water go all the way up past WH and how far out? Did you ever get out of it? Thanks.

... Does that coffee coloured water go all the way up past WH and how far out? Did you ever get out of it? Thanks.

From the reports up to the west of us, the water is the same. We did have a couple of the Ladz wander out simply to see how far it went offshore. They broke out of it (off Nootka) at 125 fathoms (750 feet) but despite running gear down to 65 fathoms, they did not hit anything out there (and for 5 miles further out) besides the odd coho up top. Waste of time in other words.

Nog

From the reports up to the west of us, the water is the same. We did have a couple of the Ladz wander out simply to see how far it went offshore. They broke out of it (off Nootka) at 125 fathoms (750 feet) but despite running gear down to 65 fathoms, they did not hit anything out there (and for 5 miles further out) besides the odd coho up top. Waste of time in other words.

Nog
Thanks Matt appreciate the answer if not the message! Have to say I have been thinking we were short fish since mid-may but one always lives in hope and I've been known to be a bit of a pessimist.

Sorry to take a big swipe at your sector Nog. I know it's not your fault you only take what the DFO gives you for openings. Very frustrating year for everybody. You and me were a couple of the only guys on the forum questioning the big forecasts for the west coast earlier this year. Unfortunately, our doubts about the forecasts were justified. Thanks for the reports Nog.

I just spoke to a buddy who got back from eight days in Nootka. He said it was tough fishing. He said the very early morning was the only time there was any bite most days. A 3inch perch pattern spoon was about the only thing taking fish according to him. Hope it gets better for you guys over there.

Got back a few days ago from my annual Nootka/Esperanza trip. This is my 8th year and was without question the slowest fishing I have encountered. Fished outside of Esperanza as far as 12 miles out, fished closer to shore on the outside, fished inside Esperanza, and fished inside Nootka. It didn't matter where we went, there was no consistent bite or pattern.

We did scratch out our fish but had to put in lots of rod hours and check baits every 15 minutes due to the jellyfish. Most of our Springs came on anchovey behind a green stripe flasher with a long 8-10 foot leader. We hit our fish from 30 feet down to 120 feet and all spots in between.

I want to extend my thanks to Cathy and John at Westview Marina. They work hard at running a first class establishment. I know that year after year I can always count on a great time no matter what the fishery is doing. Their hard work is very much appreciated!

When pulling the boat out at Gold River I heard that money has been secured for much needed upgrades at the launch. Is it really true?

Got back a few days ago from my annual Nootka/Esperanza trip. This is my 8th year and was without question the slowest fishing I have encountered. Fished outside of Esperanza as far as 12 miles out, fished closer to shore on the outside, fished inside Esperanza, and fished inside Nootka. It didn't matter where we went, there was no consistent bite or pattern.

We did scratch out our fish but had to put in lots of rod hours and check baits every 15 minutes due to the jellyfish. Most of our Springs came on anchovey behind a green stripe flasher with a long 8-10 foot leader. We hit our fish from 30 feet down to 120 feet and all spots in between.

I want to extend my thanks to Cathy and John at Westview Marina. They work hard at running a first class establishment. I know that year after year I can always count on a great time no matter what the fishery is doing. Their hard work is very much appreciated!

When pulling the boat out at Gold River I heard that money has been secured for much needed upgrades at the launch. Is it really true?

The cheque's in the mail-etc.etc.

money may have been secured, but I doubt it will end up in ramp upgrades! I cant imagine the money that comes through that ramp in a year in launch fees and parking. They are not short on cash

I believe all these factors of the jelly fish being an issue and a big algae bloom plus the DFO downgrading the run is a good thing! The stock needs to be replenished, suffer a little today and be bountiful in the future!

I believe all these factors of the jelly fish being an issue and a big algae bloom plus the DFO downgrading the run is a good thing! The stock needs to be replenished, suffer a little today and be bountiful in the future!

Your logic escapes me-how does a poor run when nothing is done about it bode well for the future?

Secretly I am still hoping they are late. Pretty much why I keep checking the Langara lodge reports for the "wave" and then these Nootka reports for the "any place" "any depth" "any thing" reports I remember. How awesome would it be to have lights-out chinook fishing in late Aug-September. Be easier to get a site at cougar creek that time of year anyway. But when reading about the sockeye this year, and what appears to be my local world famous pinks being "late", makes me wonder about the ocean conditions all returning salmon have had to deal with this year. Hoping it improves down the stretch.

Last edited:
http://www.queencharlottelodge.com/guides-report-august-10th/

Been a weird yr up there also..
Sounds like maybe? still a wave of fish to come down around Vancouver Island
Lots of fishing still left in the season..whether it's in Nootka or elsewhere...get out there and enjoy being on the water

Secretly I am still hoping they are late. Pretty much why I keep checking the Langara lodge reports for the "wave" and then these Nootka reports for the "any place" "any depth" "any thing" reports I remember. How awesome would it be to have lights-out chinook fishing in late Aug-September. Be easier to get a site at cougar creek that time of year anyway. But when reading about the sockeye this year, and what appears to be my local world famous pinks being "late", makes me wonder about the ocean conditions all returning salmon have had to deal with this year. Please someone post a "lights out" Nootka report before year end

Back