OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not buying that argument. Explain going 22 miles another direction and getting lots of action...

What I meant is that test sets in the Fraser River, and the psc marine test sets are not substantially below average for this time of year. I can attest to the challenging fishing conditions though... Why the fish that are apparently there are not biting... I have no idea.

Did West Van this morning for the flood ~6:30a-10:00a - no hits. Saw a few other boats out including Bon Chovy but no nets out.

I've been out all morning - started at the cap and fished Point A from 11-1, back to the cap now and still no bites. 5-10 boats out at the cap but no nets have left the holders yet ...

Wow, the bananas closed again. I didn't see that one coming. Things must be even worse than I thought for them to be shutting it down again.

I suspect the flossers couldn't help themselves in the river when it was opened, thus the river is closed again and the banana is managed as part of the river.

area 28 and 29 could be next. I know of probably a dozen which have been caught and released by Sport Anglers (including guides) in the last 2 weeks. In all of those cases the sox hit anchovies....

The real problem is flossers.... Who refused to fish selectively in the upper River and now this....

I read a article last week and the fisheries actually said they have seen a few people bottom bouncing and wasn't a concern yet! and they said thank you for cooperating so I don't think it was because of the flossers!

it just says cpr bridge downstream to the mouth. it doesnt say 29-6 and 29-7. are you sure this notice is intended to include the banana?

I read a article last week and the fisheries actually said they have seen a few people bottom bouncing and wasn't a concern yet! and they said thank you for cooperating so I don't think it was because of the flossers!

I can't speak to how many guys are bottom bouncing on the river, as I've not been up there. The problem with that is there may not be a lot of guys doing it, but even if they're releasing them in the river there is probably a high rate of mortality because of the river temperatures being high. The incidental sockeye catches in the ocean shouldn't cause many mortalities if the fish are played quickly and not removed from the water. So, I can definitely understand the concerns for any extra mortalities from the river end of things. That being said, nets are way more fatal to fish than c&r.

I'm pretty sure that it's got a lot to do with the closing of the natives openings in the lower Fraser. Genius DFO has exercised "special management actions" to treat all stakeholders equally. From the FNs perspective, if we can't fish, sporties shouldn't fish either!! All the incidental sockeye catch in the tidal is BS as there's more damage to the stocks from 6 weeks of FNs netting the entire River. But probably it should be discussed in another thread.... Sigh...

I'm pretty sure that it's got a lot to do with the closing of the natives openings in the lower Fraser. Genius DFO has exercised "special management actions" to treat all stakeholders equally. From the FNs perspective, if we can't fish, sporties shouldn't fish either!! All the incidental sockeye catch in the tidal is BS as there's more damage to the stocks from 6 weeks of FNs netting the entire River. But probably it should be discussed in another thread.... Sigh...

Yes it should Ringo. Unfortunately, there's not much in the way of fish catches to report locally these days. :(

"The Department will manage all fisheries to minimize sockeye
impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social
and ceremonial purposes."

Fair call I guess, but they left out "..and extra income from sales."

FM, having been on the Fraser pretty much everyday bar fishing except for last Friday. I can tell that you have no idea what you are talking about in terms of people flossing. 95% of the people out there are bar fishing. But please keep informing us on something you have not seen first hand. How many days have you been above Mission since the salmon opening? Up until last night there was set nets and drift Nets going on non stop. Pretty selective lol....

Big Guy, please read up on sockeye mortality and the study's that have been done. As for the water temp we are actually doing pretty good, 1 degree above normal. Any other facts you think you know?
https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/files/FraserSockeyeHookReleaseMortality08FSWP175.pdf

With the Fraser being almost 25% below normal it's an absolute slaughterhouse for the drift sets that are being done around the choke points in Agassiz, chilliwack and Hope. The set nets are doing very very well to. Because of the low water. Almost all of our springs this last week have had net marks and burns on them. Worrying about sockeye mortality from guys flossing? Give your head a shake.

I have no problem not fishing with this closure, but only if it's for conservation and actually trying to help these stocks that are already barely hanging on. But by saying that FN can still target springs by nets regardless of the grid size is complete ********. We are very very close to having some of these stocks go extinct

Just 2cnts from someone who is on the Fraser daily.

Oh....and in the chuck on Friday we got 4 socks while targeting springs. Maybe they should close down Vancouver harbour as well!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back