2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Now for the bizarre story of our trip. Trolling near Coopte Pt on Saturday morning. One of the rods slowly bent down and back up again - typical sign of running through yet another bunch of jellyfish. Pulled up the downrigger and saw fishing line caught around the ball. I had my son put the boat in neutral immediately to avoid tangling in the prop. Pulled up the other downrigger and more line was around it. There were no other boats around me - that was the first scan I did to see if I had somehow hooked someone's line but I knew that couldn't be the case. After getting the line untangled on one side, I started pulling it in by hand - it started pulling back! Managed to get it to the boat and netted a 20 pounder. Untangled the other side and pulled in the rod and reel ... it was still in the rod holder which had apparently ripped from the side of the unlucky persons boat when the fish hit. I called out on channel 16 multiple times asking for anyone who had lost a rod and reel to call me. I had one person meet up with me at Moucha Bay but it wasn't his. I was really hoping to be able to return it to the owner along with the salmon that had remained attached (the hook fell out as soon as I got it in the net - we had lost 3 in a row but somehow this one stayed hooked - bizarre). I let the staff at Moucha Bay know but so far no one has reported anything. If the story rings a bell for anyone on the forum, please let me know. I've washed the reel and rod down with fresh water and it seems good as new - also have the snapped rod holder you can mount on the wall as a memento :). If you can identify it, I have some vacuum sealed chinook fillets that will accompany the return of your rod and reel!
Heard that on the radio from a moutcha staff. We had a good chuckle.

Just got back from Nootka on a guided 2 day trip I won. Fishing was spotty and slow both inside and offshore for for both salmon and halibut. Had a big spring that tore at least 200 yards off my reel in like 15 seconds only to have another boat drive over it cut me off!!! :mad:. Still all in all had a pretty good time bringing back 4 springs and 2 yelloweye.

Saratoga, reading your story about the found rod and reel restores my faith in fishermen being great people. I have to admit I was questioning that a bit last week in the chaos in various spots inside Nootka
Appreciate the comments Blindmonkey. I like to believe most would do the same thing. I think Codfather is away from Internet connectivity currently. We haven't connected yet but I'm optimistic this is the rod and reel he mentioned - too much of a coincidence.

Will be at Tuta Marina from the 7th to the 13th , 185DE with red stripes . This will be my 10 th trip to Nootka .. 3 more sleeps :)

I'll be at Tuta as well. 6th to the 13th. 166DE
Blue stripes. Will post a report on the inside spots when I get back. Anybody know if they have wi-fi at Critter ?

I'll be at Tuta as well. 6th to the 13th. 166DE
Blue stripes. Will post a report on the inside spots when I get back. Anybody know if they have wi-fi at Critter ?

The trick is to get away from Wifi, devices, cell phones, technology. 'Tis the beauty of Nootka! Heading back over tomorrow for a three day tour. Will report when I get back.

I'm looking to catch up to John and Matt I met over at Nootka the end of July. Matt is from Comox. PM me. Sorry for posting here but I know they scan this area.

Cheers, Rob.

I'll be over at Tuta 6th to the 10th in a 20ft duckworth. Short trip but all I could get away with. First trip to wcvi, can't wait!

I will be up at Moutcha Bay from the 9th to 12th 20 ft Trophy. Sounds like they are starting to come in!

Any new reports? I'll be back up next Thursday for the weekend. Landed 5 good sprints last weekend. Slow fishing but never came home empty handed. 24, 21, 2 18s and a 16. All on Rhys Davis lime head, long leader, and varying green flashers. 42-115 on the rigger at San Carlos or Hoiss. 3 were early morning. 1 mid morning and 1 late afternoon.

Edit- forgot to mention. Braved the swell at beano last Saturday morning. Had a hit so hard, set the hook, whatever it was pulled the treble hook straight. 45' in 90' of water.

Last edited:
Myself and my baby brother, and our other brother from another mother, will be out in DeFishnSea for the week staying at Moutcha.

Have been told that the fish are all up the rivers already, but my bro called Canuma Hatchery, and the rivers are very low and nothing in the hatchery yet. So the fish are not in the river, but they are either later or very few.

Nice thing is that there are better fish than the last few years. Critter cove has taken down its 2014 & 2015 catch postings, but before they did, you could go over the last two years and there may have been 10 fish over 30 at best. However, lots of fish. Seems that the poor postings in July may have been working against Critter and now the board is not on the web site. Its not their fault it was windy or that the fish are late or that there may be fewer fish this year, but fishermen come for results.

Looking forward to seeing Cannonball and his VERY PATIENT WIFE next week.

Drewski

Heading up to Cougar from the 8th - 12th or 13th. I have full confidence that the fish will be in greater numbers on the inside tout de suite. We planned this trip a week later than usual anticipating this would be the case this year. When in doubt jig it out.

Hello, I am interested in the cabin that is located on Saavedra Islands, very close to Nootka Island Lodge. I am looking for a place to rent for a few days in 2017. Does someone on this site know who owns this cabin and if it is available to rent ?

Hello, I am interested in the cabin that is located on Saavedra Islands, very close to Nootka Island Lodge. I am looking for a place to rent for a few days in 2017. Does someone on this site know who owns this cabin and if it is available to rent ?
NOOTKARENTALS

I stayed at Nootka rentals last year which is the place you are referring to. My experience wasn't great. They shut off the generator at about 8-9pm. Meaning no power. No lights even. There was also brutal water pressure. 1 person could shower per hour. I get it, its nootka in the middle of nowhere, but for $500 a night Plus you have to bring/cook your own food, no house keeping etc. Zero fish storage, or anything helpful. I guess I expected more.

This year we stayed next door at nootka island lodge with their bring your boat gig. $250 a night per person. This includes moorage, lodging ( basically small rooms with 2 single beds), Full breakfast, a packed lunch ( sandwiches, chips, cookies, fruit, way more then you need) and a wicked dinner. We stayed 3 nights and our dinners were ribs, sirloin steak and a chicken cordon blue. All were Fantastic. The servers and house keeping staff were great, and the dock boys were awesome. They give you a fish bag full of ice in the morning to throw in your hold, they are at your boat with wheel barrows for your fish as soon as you roll in, and once you fillet your fish, they provide fish bags and will put it into their giant walk in cooler and keep it cold till you leave. We absolutely loved it there and even though $250 a night per guy isn't cheap, but we felt we got great food, great service and a comfortable place to sleep

Thanks for your replies, but I am not referring to the Nootka Rental cabins. The cabin I am referring to is on Saavedra Islands. These are a string of broken islands a few hundred feet across from Nootka Island, between Nootka Island Lodge and Friendly Cove. If I remember correctly, there is only one cabin there, perhaps two. I suspect the cabin is privately owned. Looking through this site, Codfather has referred to going to a cabin on Saavedra a couple of times, I don't know if that is the same cabin I am interested in but I don't think there are any other cabins on Saavedra so that must be it.

Interesting how fishers react when they don't catch fish. Could it not be that they were not where the fish were. Or possibly fishing to shallow just because that's what they did last yr. (ever hear of warming water conditions) Not trying to say anything more than sometimes fishing deeper or in a different locations can sometimes result in better catches.

On another note, when you can get out there the Highway above Esperanza has absolutely been the BEST Catching location for June & July.

Last night we had a substantial rain event in Tahsis. The wind switched direction from NW to SE. It is NOW absolutely flat outside & those who left early this morning are already back at the Marina with limits of Springs & some nice Hali. Hopefully the rain event will pull more springs inside of both Esperanza & Nootka.

Good News for inside Fishers. As many of you know I sit on Area 25 Chinook Harvest Committee representing Recreational Fishers along with Cameron Forbes from Critter Cove. Yesterday Cameron & I participated in a tel-com Harvest meeting. Representatives from Commercial Fishermen, First Nations, Recreational, two Biologist, DFO & others where on the call. There are hundreds of cumulative years of local experience & much scientific data on Area 25/125 at the meeting.
The consensus at the end of the meeting was "The Nootka Springs are still coming. Like many other things this year THEY ARE LATE!!"
FOJ

Reactions: RBL
Back