2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Heading out on Saturday for an overnight then back Monday for a day trip and back again for 3 days from the 16-18th. I'm hoping the reports keep getting better as they seem to be. Seems there are more and bigger fish around everyday now for the last 5 or so. Can't wait to post my report on my return, hopefully with a couple good pics of some big fish.

Last edited:
Boating in from PA for a weeks stay in Bamfield, been watching the weather all week, Gale warning 30-35 kn NW. What kind of a ride can I expect up the canal. Has anybody actually fished off shore? Fishing reports so far don't sound to encouraging

Canal run will be fine, leave early before the mid day thermals start specifically around namint. Once you hit Trevor Channel you may hit some chop.

I always try and head up the inlet as early as possible. Usually before 10 a.m. is best.
Stosh

Just got home, fished Pill , Austin!Cree,Effingham and Swale also got out to 10 mile for about 45 minutes before my partner gave his famous look. The net result of our efforts were 2 springs in the 20 lb range that was it for us.

Just came back last night from 2 days fishing the Sound. Some lucky folks are catching few nice fish, but the large majority of boats are coming back empty handed... The cleaning tables stay nice and tidy :( As for myself, a 21 lbs off east end of Tzartus on my last 5 minutes of fishing... Spoons work best, anchovies not so hot...

well ,
thats a rap beer n crown are dry , great week of not working ,
nice just chillin out , few crabs , few prawns , few incredible dinners
the fishing was right place right time , first 2 hrs of light were the window ,
first 5 days were very slow for me , definately better the past 2 days ,
boats all the way from little beale down to Dixon seemed ta be hitting fish ,
28-78 feet on spoons mostly , couple on anchovys , should be a bait show any time now ,
no real areas went off , just 1 or 2 here and there ,
best bite i heard of was at little beale few days ago , i showed up a little late of course ,
but did manage 1 chinook ,
use small spoons , needlefish , chromes and greens seem ta be best,
up high early am , then slowly drop ur lines
hope it gets better for you guys ,
back in a couple weeks ,
gd lk

fd

Like the Report Felix, sorry to hear about the results ...... No off shore ??
Better luck next time out and hey your not missing nothing locally !
Still better than any day at work !!! tight lines and good times

I'll start. Don't have a fishing report yet because the boat is still in dry dock, but getting closer to launch time.

Of interest however is the Salmon Outlook for this season. The Chinook forecast is for 100,000+ fish returning to the river. This is a preliminary forecast and we are hearing the Alaskan's are suggesting this forecast could be light. This represents the best fishing we have seen in over a decade. Sharpen your hooks. :D

The other bonus is the main run will come in as age 4, so a lot of larger fish this season. We are already hearing of similar returns of Columbia River Chinook. The early fish seem to be larger, indicating a strong age 4 class return.

On the Sockeye front we are expecting 1 million fish to return with a high number of age 5 (larger fish) than in past years. This is due to the record return of fish as age 4 last season. So long as the river isn't still in run off mode due to the high snow pack the fishing should be great once the fish school up.

Get ready this is going to be an epic summer of fishing. See you on the water!
Searun
Hope all is well.
Are you fishing Barkley this season? Havent heard much from you. We're heading up on Monday for a few days of dfishing in the soound. Looking forward to your reports.
Thanks
Stosh

Well back from a day and a morning fishing pill, swale, and meares. 30 fish in total. Kept 2....... Biggest....6 lbs. so sad out there. Boats running everywhere trying to locate some decent sized fish. Heard of a couple 20's but nothing significant or any sort of numbers yet. Heading out Monday and again next week for 3 days. Hope to hear some good reports and results before then. Good luck out there, they gave to show at some point............maybe...

Reactions: abl
I have some friends that just got back from 3 days staying at grappler. Slow but some fish out there. the 2 of them came back with 8. Biggest was 26 all caught inside. Mostly chovies.

Just heard from a guide friend that said they limited out on springs up to 26 lbs out on rats nose and are now trying for Hali's. Hopefully some them off shore fish will be moving in soon in numbers.

Any particular place. I'm heading up for the first time in 3 years, leaving this coming Saturday. It's kind of a special trip because my dad of 82 years old is coming with me and any reports or Intel would be greatly appreciated. I have a 23ft Striper and have no problem going off shore

out off ukee southbank /amphitrite bank 15 miles approx but i think by this upcoming weekend I'm betting a lot of those fish will be inshore as they're big mature fish - the guides were doing very well at rats nose too

Spent Saturday and Sunday at rats nose. Had a hard time getting and keeping lines down for all the shakers out there. Tried everything from plugs, spoons, anchovies, hootchies. Everything worked. Managed 3 guys limits but biggest around 18. Couldn't believe how calm it was sunday. Had no problem cruising at 28 from Bam. Had the rigger down about 20ft when an 8lb spring hit. Got it in the boat and it spit out a 6in hearing that flippin and flopping on the deck. A 4in army truck spoon and no flasher was the winner overall.

Just back from a day inside again at swale and a few other spots. It was better than the weekend with more and bigger fish. We came home with 3 all of which were only 10 lbs but did manage to hook into 3 other larger fish that we just couldn't get into the boat....... Watermelon spoon was the best choice and out fished hootchies, anchovies and brads bait. Majority of bigger fish for us were hooked later in the afternoon around diplock and behind Swiss boy. Heading out again next week for 3 days and will have a chance to go outside this time if needed. Hopefully more fish will be inside. Tight lines!

Any info as what - where is little Beale, inside has not been nice for us. 4 hrs at the Rats nose nothing to show, except sore legs/knees, lumpy. Hoping things pick up.....................

Back