2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Just back from three solid days of fishing and I hate too say it but was probably the worst salmon fishing in years! We fished from Beano to lighthouse for the last three days and only hooked a couple of shakers. Hardly seen any fish caught at all. Then finally tried coopte, hoisin and camel yesterday and also nothing. Spend hours trying for halibut out past Beano nothing. Really disappointing as it was the first major trip for my kids 10,12,15 and 16 and nothing much. We probably fished 14 hrs a day so put in our time. Just so you know I am not new at this and limited out last week for three guys two days in a row. So there are starting to be a few fish inside seen some caught. The whole outside entrance was dead. I mean seeing 30 boats at monument and one or two fish caught. 15 boats at Beano and no fish caught that I seen. Did not salmon fish offshore as big engine not trolling well and too waves for my kicker. Sorry for the dismal post but I just want everyone to pray for some rain maybe bring the fish in. I hope it picks up soon.

Like I posted a couple days ago, the entrance was dead for us and inner entrance just inside last years boundary to the Saveedra's was on fire for us last year. There are fish inside now though and the flood tides are not producing in the traditional fishy areas by the light, monument etc. My very unscientific prediction is that a greater percentage than normal must be coming in Esperanza and down Tahsis inlet rather than rounding the lighthouse.

Just got back from 8 days in Nootka. Had to work hard to find fish for the first six days, but inside fishing really came on yesterday and today. Hoiss Point was a gong show, with many boaters either not knowing what the rules of safe boating (fishing) are, or forgetting them. Saw many near collisions. Yes, there were fish at Hoiss, but only if you like combat fishing. Not for me. There are just too many good spots to fish in Nootka to have to put up with that nonsense. Going back next weekend.

Yup, Plugs Only. Have a great pattern I came up with a couple years back that simply Destroys them this time of year.
Time to get it swimming again!

Thanks for the well wishes!

Cheers,
Nog

Hi Matt. Any change we can get a glimpse of your 'great pattern'?
We've got a handful of your new smaller Needles to try this summer, too.

FD

Hi Matt. Any change we can get a glimpse of your 'great pattern'?
We've got a handful of your new smaller Needles to try this summer, too.

Sorry... NOPE!

After the way I got treated by my so called "partner" on the needlefish spoon experience, I ain't about to share much at all with anyone that ain't Right CLOSE ever again. :(

Again, apologies for that, but I've simply been burned deep enough to keep any and all future cards a little close to my chest. ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Sorry... NOPE!

After the way I got treated by my so called "partner" on the needlefish spoon experience, I ain't about to share much at all with anyone that ain't Right CLOSE ever again. :(

Again, apologies for that, but I've simply been burned deep enough to keep any and all future cards a little close to my chest. ;)

Cheers,
Nog

?? You not involved??
That's fked up sorry to hear..ive bought only 1..hearing this wouldn't buy one again

Sorry... NOPE!

Cheers,
Nog
What? Can you offer up more details?

Was staying at moutcha bay resort Wednesday till friday. Fishing was on fire for us Thursday and Friday morning. Limited out between 3 guys both mornings in under 3 hours. Gota get out there very early it seems. (5 am)

Was staying at moutcha bay resort Wednesday till friday. Fishing was on fire for us Thursday and Friday morning. Limited out between 3 guys both mornings in under 3 hours. Gota get out there very early it seems. (5 am)
Where you just fishing on the inside

It was an epic bite yesterday morning that lasted 2.5 hours. We fished Coopte and could see 50 boats at Hoiss Pt also. We took 25 fish out of there on the morning fish with our guides.

At times it got to be combat fishing but not to bad.

Any idea how the crabbing is this time of year. I'm assuming it's kind of slow. I don’t have any gear and was wondering if I was worth getting set up?

Just back from our annual trip to Critter cove. Found the early morning bite to be short and fast. Fished first light(4:30 a.m), by 7 back at the dock for breakfast. We fished the lighthouse after breakfast but it was really slow, only a few shakers and one 6 pound spring. Had one evening fish at Camel rock and got into a few. Could not get off shore so no bottom fish.

Just got back from 5 days of fishing Nootka 3 of us were able to limit out on Springs for the first time in 8 Years. We also did our annual day with the Codfather and got 2 nice springs and a halibut and some lungs and yellow eye. We always learn so much from Mike every year and it is stating to pay off.
We caught our springs mainly on 3.5" tomic spoon Irish cream and a white flash fly.
We consistently had one side at 60' and the other at 40'. Spoon was 12' behind ball ball had dummy flasher.
Springs were caught at Hoist to Coopte And Burdwood. Spent 2 days fishing Rosa as we stayed At tTahasis 2 nights and caught 7 Springs there. The flood tide in afternoon seemed best there.

Nootka Disney Land for Grownups !

Back