2016 Sooke Reports

Englishman, just curious, why troll against the flood rather than with it?
Xavier, all I can say is when I went through Muir, everyone, including the guides, were trolling against the tide sometimes because they were going around and around in big loops in that area. In my case I wanted to get to Sheringham. Very few people, including the guides, troll for miles with the tide then pick up run back and do it all again. Bottom line, you have to troll against the tide sometimes. Sometimes on strong tides I put spoons and hootchies on against the tide and put on bait when I turn back with the tide. Need a longish loop for that though.

Fished Thursday, out of the Hotel. Lines in at 8am, fished until 11. Hubby had a wild coho, released and a undersized spring, spat hook by the boat. Fished Muir creek, lots of boats doing a loop of the area. I looked for you, Englishman, but the early fog was hard to make out boats!. Once the fog lifted, a pretty nice day for dragging a fish hook around:) Xena

Nothing changes people who cant catch a fish put up a crap report.... like the positive ones good work guys... i will say for the ones that believe,
the fish are around you just have to take notice of whats going on .THEY are there.... one tip ill give you think outside the box sometimes tips up figured it out .....

Wolf,

I will never be the fisherman you are. And that is OK.

But, once again you are confusing a truthful report with negativism. I shall continue to post on behalf of the “ordinary guy” who often does not catch. The reason most guys who don’t catch don’t post is they are intimidated by others who deride and question their capability, intelligence or even their masculinity.

On a previous post just a bit earlier in this thread about alleged comments about your fishing you said “I don’t care!” The same goes for me.

Notwithstanding there are fish around, the fact remains this has been a very slow season so far. I talk to the long time guys at Sunny Shores, who say the same thing. And all those boats that had left Muir by 11:00am yesterday did not do so because they had all limited out. That is for sure!

I’ll keep fishing. It may get better. And I won’t stop posting – catch or no catch.

Right on! A report is a just that, a report, good or bad its about sharing information and personal experience. Not sure why this has become such a touchy topic?

I like the good and bad reports - good to give an indication of what is working and where, bad for exactly the same reason. Hopefully it means on the days I can get out I can increase my odds of catching a bit more.

I appreciate that you post your reports, both good and bad, Englishman. I tend to take the same approach on here. After all we're here to talk fishing, and any fisherman knows there are good days and bad days. :)

Fishing is slow ziggy and I suspect those who make a living on the water are feeling the pressure!

GDW.... I was about to say the same thing.
I travel from Calgary to Sooke about 5 or 6 times a year.. and appreciate any report good or bad...
Wolf... I will have to say.. I have met you and heard you on the radio and it seems you have the respect of other guides out there.
I would stop worrying about all this. I think people such as myself love to hear both the good and bad reports since we have to travel to get there.
I for one... don't care if the report is good or bad.. helps me plan my trip. Hell... a bad report drives me harder to catch.... its called fishing... not catching.
I am sure that some guides may want the reports all good... but trust me, as a consumer, I would rather know in advance that it may not be all roses out here before I spend my time and money to come limit out!
Happy fishing everyone!

We are heading out on our 2nd annual trip on August.10th for 5 days and can't wait good fishing or not!! When people ask me how the fishing was I always have the same answer, trip was fantastic and fishing was ...... :) We were just out in Winter Habour from July.8th-12th for our 7th annual trip with 2 boats and 8 guys and if you read the reports and talk to the guides fishing was stellar and one of our close friends is a guide there!! Unfortunately our story was a bit different.. Between the 2 boats only 5 chinooks caught in 5 days of fishing, all in between 16-22lbs. My buddies boat limited on snapper, lings and half a dozen nice coho and zero hali and my boat had a half dozen nice cohos 8-12lbs, limited on snapper and hali and zero lings. I guess my point of this is it is important and wonderful to post all your reports but we all know its called fishing not catching and personally I think just being on the water is a huge win in my books!! If fishing is slow in Sooke I guarantee I will be back next year for the 3rd annual trip and will always post our reports and what was working and where :) Good luck out there everyone and lets hope some numbers start to move in!!!

Went out of Becher this morning and fished the flood. I didn't get a single bite or see a net out. Saw one at the marina near 30.

Fished out of Cheanuh from 6:30-12:30. 3 small keepers. Saw a couple of 20+ at table.
Fish #1: 8:30....88 ft on rigger right at Beechy Head in tight (in front of the shore casters). Peetz flasher red/glow, anchovie on bloody nose.
Fish #2 and #3: 11:30 at Aldridge...48 ft on riggers. Small green flasher with green/glow Andrew P Sandlance spoon.
Beautiful day on the water. Not nearly as many boats as earlier in the week.

No love for us this morning.
Saw a couple of fish caught that looked pretty good, but couldn't even scratch up a shaker today.
Still a better day than being at work.
Fished from Beechy head all the way down to the trap shack and back.

On the water at Otter by 6:45. Nothing happening for us, so we wondered up to Muir, caught small shaker. Didn't see much going on there for the 1.5 hours that we hung out there. Trolled back to Otter and hooked into a small one that turned into a long line release for us. Seen a couple teenagers being caught at Otter as well as a few small ones throughout the day. Wasn't overly exciting there. Fished 3 rods, green Chrome, Betsy 0-0; no bananas spoon, no flasher, 0-0; Joanne with super Betsy, 1-2. Fished from 35'-85'.

I have to admit, parking in the parking lot at the Prestige was a real treat. You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished. I helped a single guy launch his boat this morning. When I was done launching I ended up parking beside that guy in the lot. When I came back off the water, I was presented with a busted tail light and a bent lisense plate. Apparently backing out and running over a fellow fishmans trailer is the thing to do these days.

We are heading out on our 2nd annual trip on August.10th for 5 days and can't wait good fishing or not!! When people ask me how the fishing was I always have the same answer, trip was fantastic and fishing was ...... :) We were just out in Winter Habour from July.8th-12th for our 7th annual trip with 2 boats and 8 guys and if you read the reports and talk to the guides fishing was stellar and one of our close friends is a guide there!! Unfortunately our story was a bit different.. Between the 2 boats only 5 chinooks caught in 5 days of fishing, all in between 16-22lbs. My buddies boat limited on snapper, lings and half a dozen nice coho and zero hali and my boat had a half dozen nice cohos 8-12lbs, limited on snapper and hali and zero lings. I guess my point of this is it is important and wonderful to post all your reports but we all know its called fishing not catching and personally I think just being on the water is a huge win in my books!! If fishing is slow in Sooke I guarantee I will be back next year for the 3rd annual trip and will always post our reports and what was working and where :) Good luck out there everyone and lets hope some numbers start to move in!!!

I love your attitude, Sir! Hope you are rewarded with good catching

We fished Muir this AM. Lines in the water around 7:30. Lost one right away. Saw quite steady action all day, including a hog caught by Spencer's. Gorgeous day on the water! Finally landed a small chunky spring, perfect for the Bbq mid morning. Both fish on anchovie, around 50 feet.

Problem is YOU say no fish didnt see a thing... you went by me and after we landed our 3rd of the day YET you say didnt see a THING...i dont care, continue putting up negative stuff thats what I really dont like its like there is NO fish here!!!! there are a few fish around you have to look at whats going on just not in your boat at the end of your rod...
YES its a weird and slow year up and down this coast EVERYWHERE . like i said before if you dont like it take up golf....

Back