Easy Job - Strataglass Replacement

TenMile

Figured I'd post this to help out anyone who needs to replace vinyl windows. The enclosure on my boat has a couple of vinyl windows that the prior owner had purchased. Not sure what material was used, but guessing it was a cheap non-coated vinyl and over time they yellowed and pitted to the point where it was nearly impossible to see out.

Not having access to a commercial sewing machine, and not being skilled at sewing anyhow, I looked for alternatives and came across a very simple and inexpensive process. First I decided to use 40 mil Strataglass as the replacement product. Strataglass is a UV resistant/blocking product that is reported to last 12+ years. I found a US Retailer of "factory seconds" of the product. I couldn't find ANY visible flaws depite the fact that these were seconds -- anything is going to be a major improvement over what I have. Retailer www.myshipstore.com

First, I laid the replacement Strataglass over the old vinyl window and traced the shape using a Sharpie. I then cut out the shape of the window with a sharp set of scissors. Rather than sew the replacement, I found a vinyl to vinyl cement product called HH-66 (Jeune Brothers carry it in Victoria). HH-66 is a permanent adhesive that is waterproof -- it actually melts the vinyl somewhat and creates a bond that is as strong as the vinyl itself. So, I cleaned up the old 1/2" sewn edge with an alcohol swab, coated both the edge of the old window and new window with the cement and stuck them together -- bit of pressure to aid with the initial bond.

To keep the sunbrella surround it's existing shape, I left the old window in place while sticking the new one on. To aid in removal, I made a slit in the old window along the edge with my scissors. Once I glued the new to the old, I then trimmed away the old window around the sunbrella frame.

Old vs new side by side: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2JPYCSPyz6Hd0NqUTFxVkpvNWc/view?usp=sharing

view

Let us know how this holds up for you. Probably not something I would do, but that seems like a cheap option for someone looking to extend the life of an otherwise solid top. Keep us informed how it works out.

Thanks for trying to help others out by posting this.

Terry, very interesting idea, how does the bond seam? does it seem solid enough? have you applied any pressure to it by hand to see if it will pull apart?
I need to replace my isinglass, this could be an option, is the strataglass much like the isinglass in a Grady?
Tim

Terry, very interesting idea, how does the bond seam? does it seem solid enough? have you applied any pressure to it by hand to see if it will pull apart?
I need to replace my isinglass, this could be an option, is the strataglass much like the isinglass in a Grady?
Tim

Tim -- I should have added a critical step here -- you need to roughen the area where you apply the glue with sandpaper. In my case it was about 1/2" on both the new Strataglass and the old vinyl that I roughened.

It's been on the boat now for about 6 weeks. My existing windows both zip and snap into place and I do have to stretch them hard to get the snaps to set. I did test by pulling as hard as I could and they feel very solid. Worst case, if the glue doesn't hold -- they can be sewn into place but as far as I can tell it's as tight as can be. I got this idea by reading a few forums where users replace the windows on old rag top car roofs (Miatas, Jeeps etc...). HH-66 basically creates a chemical weld between the two materials.

Thanks for the correction on the link ;-)

Back