2016 Tuna Adventures

We may go Saturday if we can get our ***** together tomorrow lol. We will be heading towards Louden and if necessary heading out to the 1000 fathom line and working our way up North towards the Clayquot area. Chloro look good in these areas. The temps look good everywhere!

What Dogbreath and trophywife said about the tails........schoolies for sure;).

Last edited:
We may go Saturday if we can get our ***** together tomorrow lol. We will be heading towards Louden and if necessary heading out to the 1000 fathom line and working our way up North towards the Clayquot area. Chloro look good in these areas. The temps look good everywhere!

What Dogbreath and trophywife said about the tails........schoolies for sure;).
Sculpin I will pull the lat/long where we found them and post later we had 59dedree water almost all the way out from Tofino on Tuesday and only a one and a half degree temp break in 3 miles dut nice blue water. Btw not one jumper and no finners in the 2 days and we covered a lot of water.

For some reason and I have no idea why those early season fish(July fish) dont jump. I can't recal ever seeing one jump. They will in August which adds to the fun.

Thanks for the reports guys. Looks like it's shaping up to be a good year for the toooners!
Can't wait to get out there.

You guys are wild. We skipped a tuna run this week because it was over 50 miles sw from Westport. How many miles is a run from Barkley? Dang. August will be epic. Be safe and make sure you have enough fuel or buddy boats. Look forward to your reports.

We should all settle on a vhf freq to monitor I think the commercial boats use 69. Ideas?
72 is the chosen channel for the Rec fleet and the Commercial fleet; Derby posted up some recommendations for safety and catch care and the commercial guys have asked us to use and monitor 72 as this is one of their channels.
Searun has worked hard for the 2 fleets to work together and has had numerous sit downs with their committee trying to keep everyone happy and working together to have fun and catch these incredible fish.

Go get'em; hopefully the long weekend will have some good weather for my crew to get out.

Hello
We have vessel from the Marina out on the highway and beyond from Esperanza to Kyuquot daily. Many of which carry TUNA gear aboard to take advantage of the opportunity when the Albacore Show UP!! At this point Lots of Warm water, whales, albatross, etc. but no Albacore to date.
SOON!!!!!
Chinook, Coho & Halibut are over the top GOOD out there.
FOJ

You guys are wild. We skipped a tuna run this week because it was over 50 miles sw from Westport. How many miles is a run from Barkley? Dang. August will be epic. Be safe and make sure you have enough fuel or buddy boats. Look forward to your reports.

we have caught as close as 40 miles,,, and gone out to 110!!

usually right around 55nm

First trip 2016 :cool:.

We headed out West for the elusive long fin tuna on Saturday early morn. The crew consisted of my son Jake, his buddy Dustin, and myself.

Launching the boat at Salmon Beach.

The awesome sun rises are a real joy in any offshore fishery. We truly live in a special place. It is so magical.

Looking North towards Tofino.

Looking back again towards Ukee.

You really have to stop and smell the roses. It's not all about the fish. I keep trying to tell the young guys this but I usually find them ignoring me lol :rolleyes:o_O:).

Continued.....

Last edited:
We had planned to fish the Clayquot Canyon with Jglobal but he decided to fish salmon instead. So we headed out to the Louden and came across a pod of white sided pacific dolphins. The bird activity looked good as well but the water temp wasn't great and water didn't look very clear or blue. In hind site we should have drop some gear and tried it out but we decided to head down to the Barkley Canyon where we knew Smiley and tundon were fishing.

A bucket full of tuna spread.

This is a set up we learned from birdsnest. Everything is ready to go in a bucket and it is really fast to deploy. It has worked well for us last year and it worked great this trip as well.

We headed to a way point that I have plugged into the plotter from the first tuna shootout I ever entered. It is a spot that freedom22 put in there (he won the shootout the year after fishing the same spot and we plugged our boat that year at the same spot). It is topside, outside, Barkley canyon midway on the contours. Well we got there and deployed the gear and less than 10 minutes later we had one on the dive board port side.

Jake with the first tuna of the year. The skunk is off!

Ten minutes later we had another on the same dive board. We were using green on green for the early stuff. Good neutral color the seems to work well. Got that one from Harper44 on our first ever tuna trip with him years ago. We used this color last year on our first trip and it produced big time up in Winter Harbor.

Less than 1/2 an hour later we hooked up a double on the back two rabbits. We went one for two on that one due to me telling Dustin to tighten up the drag too much :oops:. My bad. Ripped the hook right out.

Dustin with a couple long fins. His second trip out with us and the smile says it all.

Continued....

Last edited:
Well it was off to a good start but unfortunately that was it for us for the rest of the day. That is tuna fishing. We cruised around and tried to find a school or a couple of strays with no luck. It was nice fishing with Smiley and tunadon and great to have radio contact with them. They scatched out some tuna as well. The fish just weren't there in schools or numbers.

Smiley and Old School on a sweet Pursuit.

There was a lot of this going on through the rest of the day. The captain looking for the ever so suspicious bird (very damn few out there). Every hit we had in the morning was near a suspicious looking bird or two. They are not a tuna's friend lol. They throw em right under the bus ha ha.

The young guys horsed around.....

...then I made them swab the decks;) :D.

All in all a good first trip out. It was great fishing with some other sport boats out there. We will be back at it right shortly. Just hope these winds die down.

Sunday evening heading home. Nice sunset on Kennedy Lake.

Till next time. See you addicts out there :cool:.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited:
Great report. I always enjoy a picture heavy post like this.

Once again Sculpin sets the bar for quality posts ! I read that thread and it was like I was there... Lol! Seriously though it was a great day on the water with Tuna Don and Sculpin. Great buddy boats that stayed in communication and worked together to put fish top side. Like Sculpin said it isn't just the number of fish that determines the quality of the trip. The offshore environment and team work between buddy boats makes it a special experience regardless of fish. Tuna Don , Sculpin and Whyknot shared good Intel on location and gave updates on hookups as the day unfolded. Lastly I would like to put out a special thank you to my crew " Old School" who works tirelessly on every aspect of our outing and maintained a positive outlook despite the small catch. Great day on the water with quality guys that know how to fish!

Once again Sculpin sets the bar for quality posts ! I read that thread and it was like I was there... Lol! Seriously though it was a great day on the water with Tuna Don and Sculpin. Great buddy boats that stayed in communication and worked together to put fish top side. Like Sculpin said it isn't just the number of fish that determines the quality of the trip. The offshore environment and team work between buddy boats makes it a special experience regardless of fish. Tuna Don , Sculpin and Whyknot shared good Intel on location and gave updates on hookups as the day unfolded. Lastly I would like to put out a special thank you to my crew " Old School" who works tirelessly on every aspect of our outing and maintained a positive outlook despite the small catch. Great day on the water with quality guys that know how to fish!
Wow, thanks for keeping us all posted on your adventures guys, and yes great pics! Words can't describe the power and beauty of WCVI.

We are looking at coming down from the okanagan on the 19th, heading out of tofino for a tuna run, hopefully some of you pro's will be heading out the same time (weather permitting) in the mean time, we will keep reading your posts, good luck out there, and be safe.

Some tuna weather in the forecast no but as expected the edge has pushed off a bit due the the strong NW winds out there all week. Dang!

Back