Halibut Anchor Scotchman Size

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

I just want to confirm about the size of the Scotchman used on a typical halibut setup. I was told that a polyform A2 would be large enough to pull my 30ft of 5/16 chain and 5kg bruce anchor. Does that seem right what size are you all using?

Capt. Party arty,
I use a 60 inch diameter net buoy with the same chain and anchor as yours, along with 600 ft. Of 3/8" nylon double braid. I wouldn't go as small as an A2. Maybe A3, but A4 would be better.
Stosh

A3 and I use a delta style 14lb anchor. 3/8" three strand nylon rope (400 foot and 200 foot sections). Also only use 15' section of 3/8" chain on a 22 foot boat.... has yet to let go.

Last edited:
Constance bank 2 weekends ago, 1/3 the boats had no anchor balls visible or barley visible. Not what I do. I think it depends on where, how deep, and in what current you could possible anchor in. JDF straight with a little current will probably sink your A2, as would deep anchoring North Island. My setup is same as most, 600ft rode, 30 ft chain and 15lb Danforth slip anchor (no plastic zip ties), I use an A4, if goes under you should not be there on anchor, 1/2 under worries me. Better to play it safe, get one bigger than you think you will need and deal with the issue of storing/securing a bigger ball aboard.

Just my opinion.

HM

i have used an A2 for years..

A2 works, just not for me and Constance current, wind and slop. Hell 33 years ago when Bennie and I were the only boats anchoring for hali of vic we used 5 gallon gas cans, 200lb cadgut line, 2 lb weight and sturgeon treble they worked but we were crazy for doing it. Today options are so many. Pick an anchor ball that works for your situation and is safe. Captain PM have a walk/look around the marinas in the area you plan to fish, along with your intended style of fishing, (only perfect days, going no matter what, anchor on a rock reef in 450ft) this should give you an idea of what's needed.

HM

If you can't get a larger buoy, then you should just get another A2, and use one or both depending on the conditions.
The surface area of the two would probably be greater/larger than an A1.
What is the main purpose here? Is it to show that your are anchored, or provide resistance when pulling up the anchor with the Anchor Lifter device.?
When at winter harbor they didn't use any buoy that large. Not sure where you want to hunt the Halibuts.
Are the above guys confusing diameter with circumference?
How large of a boat do you have to be to carry around a 60" diameter buoy?

Whoops, my bad. Mine is 60" in circumference as well. I'd never go smaller, always better to go bigger. Also good to use a snap shackle as a breakaway. Murphy Sportfishing has a good video on how to use a breakaway snap shackle. Some people will tell you to just have a sharp knife handy and cut your bow to stern line. That's great until you drop the knife overboard.
Stosh

Whoops, my bad. Mine is 60" in circumference as well. I'd never go smaller, always better to go bigger. Also good to use a snap shackle as a breakaway. Murphy Sportfishing has a good video on how to use a breakaway snap shackle. Some people will tell you to just have a sharp knife handy and cut your bow to stern line. That's great until you drop the knife overboard.
Stosh

snap shackle on your bow to midship line or as i call it the sliding line? i would hope it de-attaches from this line easily or you would have to run with this line and shackle under the boat!

My snap shackle is about a foot forward of the stern CLEAT. I have a bright red highly visible line attached to the pin on the snap shackle. When you pull the pin, the sliding line drops and allows the ring to slide off. You are immediately released from the anchor. Always a good idea to clean and lube the release pin so it's easy to pull out.
Stosh

Last edited:
I've used an A2 in the past and I've seen it go under at constance on a 3kt current with a 10kt west wind.

If you can't get a larger buoy, then you should just get another A2, and use one or both depending on the conditions.
One thing I'd be very cautious of is the 2 Scotsman spinning, you could end up with a big mess.

CIVANO
I use a Wichard model 2475 SS swivel snap shackle. It's 3 1/2" long. The release pin appears to be 1/4". Working load is 2800#'s/breaking load is 8150#'s. Wichard products are made in France - expensive, but very good quality. I realize that many people just tie off the sliding bow to stern line and would use a knife in an emergency situation. I'm old, things happen quickly. If my hands (that are old as me and don't work like new) are cold/wet I could easily drop the knife overboard - then what? Having a quick release system just makes sense to me.
good fishing
Stosh

Back