17 Double eagle vs Hourston

jaymasta

I am thinking of upgrading to either a 17ft hourston or double eagle, I am wondering if someone who has been on both could let me know there thoughts on both of them. I currently own a 14ft double eagle, and it has been great but I feel like I am outgrowing it, and I have been on a 17ft hourston and thought it was a great safe ride for the size but I don't see many of them for sale.
Thanks

From what I've seen the DE in 17 has more interior space

There is a few different Hourston 17 sizes

17' has a. 78" beam
17'2 has a 89" beam
A double eagles hull fits in the hull of a Hourston

They are out there rare but if you keep an eye out you will find one

Good luck.

A 17.5 double eagle has a beam of 89" and will not fit inside a 17'2" hourston. Both great boats but that statement is a bit misleading...... I have owned a 176 De and guided out of a 17'2" Houston, really can't go wrong with either. Determining factor is always power, then trailer, then accessories.

GnB

I am thinking of upgrading to either a 17ft hourston or double eagle, I am wondering if someone who has been on both could let me know there thoughts on both of them. I currently own a 14ft double eagle, and it has been great but I feel like I am outgrowing it, and I have been on a 17ft hourston and thought it was a great safe ride for the size but I don't see many of them for sale.
Thanks

If you look a DE or Hourston look at these Malubu tyee also or Malibu 182 or 185.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...78/1173400557?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Guided out of both double eagle and hourston like them both equally the newer 18 eagle we had to put weight in on front end as a lil aft heavy motors and fuel back there BUT in saying that if it had a infloor tank would be better.
the 19 hourton i had with pod was one of the best ive ever used I really like it had it with trim tabs ... id go with 18-19 ish if you can find them...

Good luck wolf

Both great boats and very popular so you may not have the luxury of choosing one.
You should look for both and buy quick when you find one. They do not last long when they come up.

I have 17.5 Double Eagle and love it for it's size.
Wolf is correct from what I have seen and heard about the DE 18.

The Tyee SV linked looks like a nice boat and priced reasonably with the power that is on it.
(I am considering repowering mine with 90 yammy 4 Stroke. New running $10,000 plus controls and install, used when you can find about $6,000 plus controls and instal)

Tips

Guided out of both double eagle and hourston like them both equally the newer 18 eagle we had to put weight in on front end as a lil aft heavy motors and fuel back there BUT in saying that if it had a infloor tank would be better.
the 19 hourton i had with pod was one of the best ive ever used I really like it had it with trim tabs ... id go with 18-19 ish if you can find them...

Good luck wolf

Hey Wolf having you in the drivers seat wasn't enough weight to get your nose down :D

Is it possible to remove the hardtop on the tyee in the kijiji add?
You can. I swapped my soft top for a hard top on my Malibu 185. You might be able to leave the windshield in place and just remove the hardtop, but if you go with a new windshield you can get the walk thru feature. Then you can probably sell the leftover parts.

I have the windshield from the soft top for sale...

I have a Malibu Tyee 175. It's a great boat. As Spring Velocity mentions you might want to add that to your list of candidates. The kiijiji one looks well priced. You won't go wrong with a Double Eagle or Hourston in the size you're looking for either.

Tip

I had a 95 Malibu Tyee 17.5. It is the exact same hull as the DE, the only difference that I noticed was the transom was thicker on the Tyee than on the DE. The boat rode well. I had it up at Winter Harbour a few times and never felt unsafe in it. Any of the three Tyee, DE or Hourston are good boats.

I have owned DE for 30 years, 14, 16.6, 17.6 and now 18.6. Love them, never let me down, stable dry ride and safe. Wolf is definitely correct, 18.6 is nose light and a very different ride than the 17.6. I went the other way and installed a welded aluminum stand up hardtop on my last 2 boats, best thing I ever did, warm, dry and nice addition to cuddy on 18.6, cant remember a day on ocean when I wished it was colder?? All 3 boats mentioned have good reputations in BC waters. Have fun choosing.

HM

There seems to be misconception regarding the length of DE boats
the 166 I actually 16'1"
the 176 is actually 17'1"
the 185 is actually 18'3"

I owned both boats first a 94 172 hourston aand now a 98 176 de love both boats I only sold the hourston because of mechanical problems I couldn't choose between the two they both have some good and not so good qualitys and are both great boats the hourston is a tougher boat to find and its design gives more storage up front but is aft heavy I'd go for whatever has the best power . You can call me with any questions I've studied both boats quite a lot Chris 2508885422

I've owned and guided out of both 17's...the Houston was a 70's something model and the DE was a 1989. I preferred the DE for the extra room between the seats and for the softer ride at higher speeds in a chop. I had a 20 gallon tank in the floor mid ship between the seats which helps the ride a lot. Mine was powered with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke and topped out at 42 mph with a 17 inch prop. The Hourston was a good boat as well and it probably would have ranked higher with me if it had the same power on it as my DE. I also think the 17 DE is an easy boat to sell and get much of your money back when it comes time to sell or upgrade.

Haven't checked out anything yet it does look pretty nice, I would want a canopy for it though, still trying to decide if I want to upgrade now or wait until the end of summer for potentially a better deal, my boat still floats lol.

Back