2016 Silva Bay Fishing Derby

Hot Rods

The 28th. Annual Silva Bay Fathers Day Fishing Derby will be held June 18 - 19 this year. Entry fee is $25 per angler or $50 per family. (Immediate family fishing from same boat) A Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3 touch screen sounder will be awarded to a lucky ticket purchaser.

Top prize is a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust from Parker Marine. Guaranteed 50+ other prizes including Scotty downriggers, Ace trap puller, Islander rod and reel combination, etc. etc.

Tickets are available at Harbour Chandler, Gone Fishin, Pacific Net and Twine, Pages Marina and Silva Bay Marina. Also available from Derek Hardy in Vancouver. Send me an email clydewicks@telus.net and I will send his contact info. You can also email me if you need a copy of the rules or other info.

BBQ and awards ceremony at approximately 1pm Sunday, June 19th at Silva Bay Marina. Derby entry includes a hamburger so plan to join us.

Again this year, 100% of the proceeds from the derby go to the Nanaimo River Community Fish Hatchery. It's a great cause so consider buying a ticket even if you are unable to attend. You never know...you might end up with a brand new top of the line sounder without even wetting a line.

Some more great prizes have been donated to this years derby. A Bradley smoker from Wholesale Sports and a Kayak from Canadian Tire. I have had a chance to see the Lowrance HDS 12 sounder from Harbour Chandler in action. It does everything but bait your hook. It goes as a draw prize from all tickets sold so buy a derby ticket even if you do not plan to fish. Consider it a donation to the Nanaimo River fish hatchery as a little bit of pay back for all those fish you have harvested over the years.

Thanks for posting Clyde.

You can count on another donation of a couple of rail mounted fish cleaning troughs again this year from my company.

My son and I will be buying tickets for sure and we have told many others about it. This derby is one of the ones that really draw's me in because of the 100 percent proceeds going towards the Nanaimo River Community Fish Hatchery. Kudos to everyone involved for keeping this great derby going over all these years.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited:
Thanks John. This is looking like the best prize table we have had in the 28 year history of the derby.

We are looking for dock space during the Derby. I stopped in at Silva bay marina on the weekend and no one was in the office. I've left a message and no response. Can anyone advise other options to a 22' Campion for Friday and Sat evenings?

We are looking for dock space during the Derby. I stopped in at Silva bay marina on the weekend and no one was in the office. I've left a message and no response. Can anyone advise other options to a 22' Campion for Friday and Sat evenings?

Did you try Page's Marina which is very close?

I know there may be some last minute cancellations with Jenny at Silva Bay Resort Marina as guys will move to different accomodation or moorage. Get on a wait list as you may get a spot that way. Last year for example I had a booking with Jenny but when I got accomodation at the Inn I released my Resort moorage with Jenny. Also Nanaimo moorage is a close option especially if you prefer to fish north of east Gabriola.

Clyde could you let me know where I can find details on the Derby regs/rules ? I find they are a bit of a challenge to locate - I have been too busy a work to even think about searching this till now lol. When does Saturday evening weigh-in end? If fishers fish the evening on Saturday is there a cut-off such that a fish at Sunset wouldn't be accepted to weigh in ? I understand Sunday at noon is cut off . Can I fish Vancouver side haha

Just got the boat finished but haven't had a sea trial yet, 25.5 SRV Searay.
Thinking about motoring over from Vancouver, do you think it would be okay?

Thanks to everyone who participated in the 28 annual Silva Bay Derby despite the very inaccurate weather forecast. They got the rain right but we had no wind both days.

Lowrance HDS 12 sounder was won by Nina Wheatley.
Largest chinook was 23.61 lbs. caught by Tony Harvey (Hoochie Koo). He won a 9.9 Yamaha motor from Parker Marine.
2nd. was 19.46 caught by Rick Stackless and 3rd was 18.27 caught by Bjorn Amundson.

Largest coho was 7.53 caught by Dale Kropinak
Ling closest to 15 lbs without going over was Shane Bascom 13.44
Largest bottom fish was 8.37, Jeff Vandenhorn.

There were 120 chinook weighed in. (Average size was down considerably this year)
21 coho were weighed in. In the past 10 years we have only had one or two coho weighed in per year.
13 ling and 25 rock fish were weighed in.

image.jpg Really enjoyed the derby. Thanks to all the organizers. We didn't have any keeper size Springs however the Coho were abundant and deep red!

Good to have a couple of calm so we could run out and fish the derby. Fishing was a little on the slow side this year but had a good time anyway. Thanks to the organizers who did a great job and some great prizes.

Here's a couple photos of the 28th Annual Silva Bay Derby winner

On Saturday morning at dawn, burnsy22 and I dropped the gear in the gap between Entrance and Gabriola, then headed S/E. Tony Harvey, owner of Hoochie Koo II out of Vancouver dropped their gear at the same spot at the same time, then headed N/E. 20 minutes later, Tony hooked the derby winner, a 23.61 lb chinook on bait. Over the next few hours, he boated three more chinook, including the 4th place fish, as well as the largest rock cod (he frickin' cleaned up on Saturday).

The photos show Tony as he dropped his fish at the weight station, and Ian Evans from Parker Marine presenting Tony with the Yamaha T9.9 at the awards ceremonies.

Congratulations Tony, maybe you'll have room for me for the next derby ;).

FD

PS Thanks go out to Clyde Wicks, Bob Meyer and Regan Lall for pulling off another successful derby.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Glad to see you got the photos 'Fisher Down' and nice to meet you. I teamed up with Tony on the Saturday leaving my boat at dock and had a blast even in the heavy rain (having fish always makes rain seem dryer lol) . Congrats to Tony on a very well deserved win! Lovely boat to fish I must say and sometimes the owner is good company too! ;-) . Great to be a part of the derby and to be on the winning boat was a bonus . .......oh and 'Fisher Down', no there's no room for you ! hahaha

Congrats and thanks also to Clyde, Bob and Regan - excellent work on putting this on!

Back