Anchor Rope Loops

DanL

I picked up some 150' of 1/2" anchor rope from the boat show that came with a built in loop that I'm using to attach to a pyramid anchor with a screw pin shackle for stillwater fishing. The loop looks similar to this.

http://www.boatus.com/Assets/www.boatus.com/boattech/img/July/splice (Small).jpeg

Would you trust this loop to hold up to repeated hoisting of a 20 lb pyramid anchor? I assume the metal (aluminum?) insert should be more abrasion resistant as I'd be worried about rope on metal wearing out faster over time.

Also I'm going to use half the rope on the rear 12 lb anchor. What loop knot should I use or should I rely on another method? The last thing I want is an expensive pyramid anchor lost to the depths because the rope wears through at the loop...

The metal thing is called a thimble. Shackle 10+ feet of 3/8 chain to it and then shackle the chain to the anchor. An anchor bend is the knot used to join an anchor line to the ground tackle.

Thanks for the info. It's primarily for chironomid fishing in lakes so I wont be using any chain between rope and anchor. The factory splice on the thimble end seems solid but I dont know if I can trust it. Dont know if I should I should just cut it off and rely on my own knot...

Back