2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Launched at noon today for the 1st time since Herring jigging a month + ago. Fished off Dorcas Pt for a couple of hours. 1 chinook at 71 Cm, 1 undersize, long release on another & a grey cod. All on the line at 200' with a 4" green & white spoon over a dummy flasher.

Several fish at the dock as well

Good start to the season
Lots of fish brought into Schooner Cove today Scott.

Winchelsea area yesterday. 5 Chins on. All just a tad undersize. Lots of small pesky P-cod around. That you have no idea are on the line.

Seemed 140 t0 150 ft deep in 400ft of water was good. Better than trolling in shallower.

Green splatter back hoochy and Bon Chovi Skinny G spoon ( green white with a bit of yellow on it) were the producers . Behind green/silver flasher. Although I also used the Skinny G 6ft behind a chrome
Kite-tail and it was just as good.

No algae bloom yet but it might be just starting.

This may be a dumb question, but did you check the tension clip at the top of the clip?
For crying out load. Yup it was the tension clip. In all my years of fishing I swear I have never had to touch it or even new it was there. Maybe the older ones didn't have it, I'll have to check it out.
Thanks BRS.

Gerald Island produced this weekend, 150' deep in 180' with the splatterback hootchie did the job. Lots of fun playing those first "training sized" fish of the year. They make up in enthusiasm for what they lack in size! Anyone watching me solo net that last one on Sunday morning must still be laughing!

For crying out load. Yup it was the tension clip. In all my years of fishing I swear I have never had to touch it or even new it was there. Maybe the older ones didn't have it, I'll have to check it out.
Thanks BRS.

Well at least it's an easy fix!;)

Out front yesterday, 4 nice fish (3 teenagers and one about 10 pounds) in about 40 minutes of fishing. Went out again tonite for quick fish, and lots of unders plus we released half dozen in the 6 to 8 pound range. Kept 3 nice fish around 10 pounds. The only large one we had on fell off unfortunately. 3.5 inch spoons were the ticket...tried splatter back hoochie, but it wasn't producing as well as the spoons. Fishing was steady until 8 p.m. and shut down like turning off a switch.

Was out yesterday for a few hours and had quite of bit of action. Landed 4 all about the 10-12lb range and lost 4 more. It was just a beautiful morning on the water. Good to see the fishing is starting to heat up.

Back