stern drives to outboards on pods

Graeme

I'm considering witching my two stern drives on a 26 Zeta (10, 000 lbs with engines and drives) to outboards on pods. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Is that length too long/heavy?

What would it cost approx to clean out old engines/outdrives, rebuild/beef up the stern, buy pods, install them and reconnect gas, steering, batteries to two outboards?

Any idea what i'll have to spend to buy two post 2010 used 200 HP, not two strokes, and where any good sources might be?

Would shoukd post this in the boats and tow rigs section. There are a couple of outboard packages posted in the buy sell section of the forum also.

Port Boat House, SG Power and SHerwood all have good deals on them. Expect 10 grand a piece for good used, and 2500 on a pod, and 4 grand on misc stuff (Steering, rewiring, etc). I probably wouldn't do it with the boats available these days, and I have podded 2 of them.

Thanks for reply. Do you mean $2500 per pod? and four grand on misc stuff for both outboards?
Why wouldnt you do it 'with the boats available these days"? What about the 26 Zeta? tough boat.

Thanks for reply. Do you mean $2500 per pod? and four grand on misc stuff for both outboards?
Why wouldnt you do it 'with the boats available these days"? What about the 26 Zeta? tough boat.

You would probably just do one big pod. That's what I did on my 26 Hourston. Four grand on misc stuff reflects the new steering you will need for twin engines(Mine was 3200 with the buddy discount). Twin outboards require a multitude of little linkages and brackets, several which are cut to size when rigging. Your old Zeta is a great boat yes, but at the end of the day you could probably buy what you want for a similar price to building it. Just my observation having done two poddings myself. There are lots of great newer boats around with outboards ready to go, many of which would hold their value a bit better then a 30 year old boat with a pod. That being said, it can be a truly satisfying project if your boat is truly a forever boat. I can tell you just about everything you need to know to do it.

I spent about $11k total on mine with a used single 150hp 4stroke and $2500 pod. Rigged it myself and didn't go for hydraulic steering....yet.

I know of a guy with tw0 200hp v6 for sale:
"Twin yamaha ox 66 XL shafts saltwater series motors for sale in campbell river. Motors have approximately 400 hrs on them... will sell individually for 4000/motor or 8000 for the pair"

I don't know him personally but I can get you in touch if you're interested (He's in a facebook fishing group). Just send me a pm

You would probably just do one big pod. That's what I did on my 26 Hourston. Four grand on misc stuff reflects the new steering you will need for twin engines(Mine was 3200 with the buddy discount). Twin outboards require a multitude of little linkages and brackets, several which are cut to size when rigging. Your old Zeta is a great boat yes, but at the end of the day you could probably buy what you want for a similar price to building it. Just my observation having done two poddings myself. There are lots of great newer boats around with outboards ready to go, many of which would hold their value a bit better then a 30 year old boat with a pod. That being said, it can be a truly satisfying project if your boat is truly a forever boat. I can tell you just about everything you need to know to do it.
Many thanks for this advice! I agree with you in theory but I really can't find another 26" flybridge with anywhere close to the amount of interior space and finish that a Zeta 26 has - not the Commander, not the Campion, not the Osprey, not the Tolly (space yes, finish is ugly), not the 28 Bertam, etc. And as I do year round boating, i really need the interior space. I havent decided to do this yet but Im just trying to get an ida of what the costs would be.
But if you know of any 26-28 ' with big cabin with outboards on her, let me know.

I also wanted to ask you if your converted boats had any handling issues, porpoising, steering, trimming issues, etc.?

I know of a guy with tw0 200hp v6 for sale:
"Twin yamaha ox 66 XL shafts saltwater series motors for sale in campbell river. Motors have approximately 400 hrs on them... will sell individually for 4000/motor or 8000 for the pair"

I don't know him personally but I can get you in touch if you're interested (He's in a facebook fishing group). Just send me a pm
Thanks for the offer but it would be premature as im still deciding whether to go this route.

I also wanted to ask you if your converted boats had any handling issues, porpoising, steering, trimming issues, etc.?

Both of my Hourstons turned out OK handling wise. My 23 Hourston had a stepped pod. That sucked, I put a full hull extension on it and it went great. Same on my 26 that I run now. Biggest prob with my 26 was the butt is a lot higher, so with empty fuel tanks the water runs forward. However you can get 6 guys in one corner and be lots stable. Handles great a touch heavy in the bow, but 5 guys can sit in the back and she planes no prob. Trim tabs only level the hull no need to push the bow down. DSS did both my pods, great guy and price.

Both of my Hourstons turned out OK handling wise. My 23 Hourston had a stepped pod. That sucked, I put a full hull extension on it and it went great. Same on my 26 that I run now. Biggest prob with my 26 was the butt is a lot higher, so with empty fuel tanks the water runs forward. However you can get 6 guys in one corner and be lots stable. Handles great a touch heavy in the bow, but 5 guys can sit in the back and she planes no prob. Trim tabs only level the hull no need to push the bow down. DSS did both my pods, great guy and price.

Thanks for this info. Appreciated.
Whats a stepped pod?
Was butt higher on your Hourston because you used a pod with flotation? And outboards r lighter than stern drives?
Who is DSS?
What did your Hourston weigh and what power did you settle on?
Im getting rid of two 4.3 gs with sx stern drives n thinking of two -175 or two 200 HP or one 350 out boards to power my 10,000 lb boat (gas and all stuff aboard) minus people. What power do you think is sufficient?

Thanks for this info. Appreciated.
Whats a stepped pod?
Was butt higher on your Hourston because you used a pod with flotation? And outboards r lighter than stern drives?
Who is DSS?
What did your Hourston weigh and what power did you settle on?
Im getting rid of two 4.3 gs with sx stern drives n thinking of two -175 or two 200 HP or one 350 out boards to power my 10,000 lb boat (gas and all stuff aboard) minus people. What power do you think is sufficient?

A stepped pod goes up a few inches from the keel, a hull extension follows the contour of the hull. The butt of the boat was higher because 3000 pounds on inboards was replaced with 800 pounds of outboards. I was going to ballast it but ultimately I liked the extra bouyancy back there for fishing. DSS Welding is in Duncan, Larry Green runs the show and does great work. V6 outboards are 650 pounds each, 4cyl are 410 to 500lbs.

You will probably want at least a pair of 200hp engines if your rig is 10k pounds. The 4.3 engines you have are probably around that but make more torque down low then a 175 4cyl outboard. A 175 will cost darn near as much as a 200, and are still a rare beast (Suzuki only). Stay away from the 350hp V8 Yams. I have seen lots of them in pieces, and the flywheel needs to be replaced on a regular basis from what I know of them. Being a former member of the Port Renfrew guide fleet (Moved to Sooke this year), I saw that V8 Yams were a regular member of the big bang club.. Including two brand new ones fresh out of the box. I have not heard anything bad about the new Mercs, and the new lightweight Yamahas run well when they do run, but I can only think of two boats in the Renfrew guide fleet that have not blown up their "A" series yamaha in 3 years.. Too bad, they are awesome otherwise, power and fuel burn, not to mentio drive by wire. Suzuki is great, I love mine, but good luck getting parts if you need them. However, I hear Breakers marine is great, and the big black things hanging on many of the Bamfield boats should be an indication of ther service life.

Last edited:
@Graeme , I'm not sure what is driving you to contemplate pods and repower, but that's a $25-30K change. You'd need to be pretty damn certain of the outcome to go that route. The usual reason for converting a large inboard hull to pod & outboard is the drivetrain is a complete loss and you're able to pick up the hull for next to nothing.

Did some rough math on my 622 factory pod vs our old 215I/O.
Yes, the OB is much lighter than the I/O. HOWEVER, the OB sits far enough past the center of mass of the boat that it acts heavier than the I/O.
The podded boat sits and trolls more horizontally, but that is due to the flotation provided by the pod.
The podded boat porpoises so much that I am using 50%+ trim tab when cruising. Wedge plate is awaiting installation. Also looking to move batteries.
What a p.i.t.a.

My point, it isn't all about mass, it's also about where the mass is in relation to the centre of mass of the boat.
And, there is no free lunch!!!

Yes, the OB is much lighter than the I/O. HOWEVER, the OB sits far enough past the center of mass of the boat that it acts heavier than the I/O.
The podded boat sits and trolls more horizontally, but that is due to the flotation provided by the pod.
The podded boat porpoises so much that I am using 50%+ trim tab when cruising. Wedge plate is awaiting installation. Also looking to move batteries.
What a p.i.t.a.

My point, it isn't all about mass, it's also about where the mass is in relation to the centre of mass of the boat.
Sounds like you have a prop issue, look into a stern lifting prop.

D
What a p.i.t.a.

I would put a hydrofoil on. I have had a lot of guys with same issue, and for $100.00 they work amazing in most cases.

Back