Federal government petition to end salmon farming in Canadian waters

Looks like we may end up having the entire industry PR team assigned to this forum out in force now trying to bait Alex. For some reason when that happens, it always makes me think of a cloud of pesticide resistant sea lice bursting out of a net pen. It would be nice if they could get their focus groups together and come up with some new talking points.

I signed the petition and my wife tried, but confirmation email said invalid URL
Can someone explain what that is all about
Is it possible for two family members to sign the petition from the same computer?

I signed the petition and my wife tried, but confirmation email said invalid URL
Can someone explain what that is all about
Is it possible for two family members to sign the petition from the same computer?
maybe try "InPrivate Browsing" - see if that solves the issue...

How was my post baiting? I have nothing to do with the salmon farming industry; Morton will respond if she wants to.

How was my post baiting? I have nothing to do with the salmon farming industry; Morton will respond if she wants to.

I will leave it to others who have followed the discussions here overtime to draw their own conclusions on your purpose for being here and credibility on the subject Dave. I will point out that since your first post, not quite, but almost every post you have made (and there has been a lot) has been running defense for the Industry. Perhaps you may recall having posted some rather vicious attacks on Alex in the past. You do recall that don’t you Dave? Have you ever acknowledged even in the smallest degree that there just may be some problems with this industry, hell, any problem; perhaps, but I suspect we would have to look long and hard. I get it, Alex is a serious opponent and therefor a prime industry target, you guys must be salivating at the chance to drag someone of her stature down into the mud with a pack of PR types on an internet forum. - and you are right, Alex will respond if she wants to.

Last edited:
I too had no problem signing the petition, but when my wife tried on the same computer with a different email address, the confirmation email read ;
The URL address provided is not valid.
anyone else had this problem?
not sure how to use "in private browsing" as suggested by Agentaqua

For the most part I hope Alex doesn't spend too much time on this forum replying to pro-salmon feedlot supporters. IMHO her time is better spent doing the great work she does exposing the dangers of this industry practices and to get these net pens out of the water and on to the land where their negative environmental impacts can be better managed. My 2 bits.

o
I too had no problem signing the petition, but when my wife tried on the same computer with a different email address, the confirmation email read ;
The URL address provided is not valid.
anyone else had this problem?
not sure how to use "in private browsing" as suggested by Agentaqua
On Internet Explorer - go up to the top - tab on the flower wheel-looking thing - tab on "safety" - then "InPrivate Browsing". Other browsers should have something similar...

Still Crazy to me with all of us on here that only 20+ have showed their support for this.

Where is everyone?

Only hoping that you have all signed and are just not posting you did.

I think the reason we aren't getting a ton of people on this forum involved is this thread is it is in the conservation / management section and not a lot of guys read that section on this forum. Most guys are in the saltwater or general discussion.

I called Bernadette, the MP who is sponsoring the Bill. I talked to her assistant and she said Bernadette would call back. The reason this thing exists is because a lot of her constituents are lobster fishermen. They fish for wild lobster. The lobster habitat is in the same waters as the fish farms. Apparently the fish farms are destroying lobster populations back east.

That being said, there are lot of fish farm people showing up at the office trying to plead their case as well. The assistant didn't know that many details re the amount of signatures needed and what in general has to happen to get this thing to move forward.

The politicians are worried about jobs too in the farm industry. I get jobs are important. But economies shift. Worrying about jobs for this industry is like not eradicating the Ebola virus in Africa because they think it will put doctors out of work. It just makes no sense.

o

On Internet Explorer - go up to the top - tab on the flower wheel-looking thing - tab on "safety" - then "InPrivate Browsing". Other browsers should have something similar...

Got "InPrivate Browsing". to work...now no email confirmation came back.....will have to assume the vote has been recorded??
thanks and hopefully everyone will be motivated to sign AND they will forward the petition to all of their friends....with the exception of the "Three Fish Farm Amigos"

Here is one of the reasons why I signed the petition and contrary to what one of our other members said about killing wild salmon and freshwater habitat destruction.

Perhaps the guys that think the industry is so harmless need to watch the documentary that Ms. Morten was involved in regarding the detection of ISA in farmed and our local Salmon . There was a large die off reported in Fraser River bound Salmon one year. Ms Morton went to the affected rivers to collect tissue samples from the affected Salmon. She had the carcasses tested for various viri and diseases. ISA was detected in the dead Fraser River Salmon that were obviously very sick, and died prior to spawning. ISA is of European origin, and had not been found here before in our native species.

Samples were also tested that were collected from BC produced farmed Salmon purchased in local grocery stores. The farmed Salmon bought from local stores was also found to be infected with the ISA virus. The conclusion seems inescapable. This fatal European virus had been transmitted to our local Salmon populations by infected Salmon of European origin from local fish farms.

I'm sorry but, the fish farm apologists remind me of Haulocast deniers. There's nothing to see here, move along..

What's even worse TBG - is a number of the "holocaust deniers" work for DFO, CFIA, and the BC MoA - our regulators and "protectors"...

YesYes it is rather sickening to know that the Dept mandated to protect our fish stocks has also been directed to promote fish farming. It would seem an obvious conflict of interest to any UN biased observer.

yes, fortunately the recent change in government has definitely been positive compared to the last government, but unfortunately they (the last government) were able to prop up many different government departments with heads conservative cronies... and our own provincial liberal government could be renamed conservative and no-one would notice any difference with the way they've acted. they both share the same agenda's. agenda's that put profits and big business before people and agendas that have been anything but environmentally friendly. the best politicians money can buy, unfortunately.

I will leave it to others who have followed the discussions here overtime to draw their own conclusions on your purpose for being here and credibility on the subject Dave. I will point out that since your first post, not quite, but almost every post you have made (and there has been a lot) has been running defense for the Industry. Perhaps you may recall having posted some rather vicious attacks on Alex in the past. You do recall that don’t you Dave? Have you ever acknowledged even in the smallest degree that there just may be some problems with this industry, hell, any problem; perhaps, but I suspect we would have to look long and hard. I get it, Alex is a serious opponent and therefor a prime industry target, you guys must be salivating at the chance to drag someone of her stature down into the mud with a pack of PR types on an internet forum. - and you are right, Alex will respond if she wants to.

I will not speak for some of these other apparent “PR types” here, but I am not employed by any industry PR team, nor was I “assigned“ to this forum to “bait” anyone. As far as I know this is a forum called “Conservation, Fishery Politics and Management”. If members are going to post something here then they should anticipate a response to it. In my case, if Ms Morton is going to post something that I disagree with then I will respond. There is no baiting here. She can either respond or not respond. My comments and criticism were fair. If the moderators of this forum felt that my responses to Ms Morton were inappropriate then they could have edited them or deleted them. Am I to assume that some members, such as Ms Morton, are off limits when it comes to questions and criticism on points of view? Ms Morton has been highly critical of the industry representatives and government scientists in her blog, Facebook page and in the media. She has a few targets of her own, so I do not understand your criticism in this regard. Do you not believe that her own theories and opinions should be open to criticism or is it just reserved for those government scientists and industry representatives?

It is odd that you feel opponents of the industry here have felt intimidation for their views while many of those same members actively engage in the same intimidation and labeling themselves here. Those that champion freedom of speech and are critical of muzzling under the Harper Government seem to be doing what they can to squash discussion by engaging in the usual labeling of members as shrills, hacks, industry lobbyists, holocaust deniers, PR reps, PR types and industry connected employees. Unfortunately Godwin’s Law creeps into these discussions which hardly merit further comment because of the lack of thought it represents. Now I concede that one individual on this forum here made it quite clear his affiliation with salmon farming industry, but making that assumption to others you do not agree with indicates to me you are not truly reading what is posted. Lastly, you should remember that before you start pointing fingers at Dave about alleged attacks on Ms Morton in the past that going down memory road here is a two-way street with a search engine that can be utilized by any member. Anyway, time to head out into the field again….that’s what us PR types apparently do.

Last edited:
Perhaps the guys that think the industry is so harmless need to watch the documentary that Ms. Morten was involved in regarding the detection of ISA in farmed and our local Salmon . There was a large die off reported in Fraser River bound Salmon one year. Ms Morton went to the affected rivers to collect tissue samples from the affected Salmon. She had the carcasses tested for various viri and diseases. ISA was detected in the dead Fraser River Salmon that were obviously very sick, and died prior to spawning. ISA is of European origin, and had not been found here before in our native species.

Samples were also tested that were collected from BC produced farmed Salmon purchased in local grocery stores. The farmed Salmon bought from local stores was also found to be infected with the ISA virus. The conclusion seems inescapable. This fatal European virus had been transmitted to our local Salmon populations by infected Salmon of European origin from local fish farms.

I'm sorry but, the fish farm apologists remind me of Haulocast deniers. There's nothing to see here, move along..

Can you show me these scientific documentations of ISA (the disease) in Pacific Salmon here in BC? Are you suggesting that these "obviously very sick" fish died from ISA? If so, where is this evidence? Do you have any more information on this "large die-off" you are talking about?

I think the best we can do is we can agree to disagree. If I had to guess, I'd guess 99% of the people in this forum, as well as the greater majority of scientists who have studied this dilema, would agree that fish farms cause a great amount of damage to our wild salmon populations. just as most now would agree that global warming is real compared to the global warming deniers. the problem with being wrong is you may not ever get another chance to repair the damage being done. I myself don't like chances like that when it comes to the health of our environment and the health of our children and their children that may have a chance to experience what we've experienced in life. I'd rather leave a better world for them rather than one worse off.
to simplify it for you, when your driving your car down the road and you see smoke or steam coming out of the hood, most people would pull over and try to fix the problem or try to find those that can give them a hand to fix it. then there are those that will keep driving since they don't know what the problem is or think it's probably something minor or maybe they just don't care because hell it's not their car... and think they can make it to their destination with a little luck. I guess I'm one of the guys that would pull over rather than risk irreparable damage. seems some of us here aren't that kind of person or people when it comes to the health of our wild salmon species or environment. all these impedements or encroachments that hinder or put the species to risk have a cumulative effect whether you believe it or not. and whether we know it or not for fact, the responsible, driver (industry) will (would) pull over and assess the situation rather than just keep driving and keep their fingers crossed, or even press down on the gas pedal a little harder. If you don't want to see the steam, you can always look the other way right? even if it's right in front of your eyes.

Last edited:
Back