10 day long range trip

tykkyt e blue

I got a last min call 3 days ago for a charter trip down the coast of Baja..so this morning we are 180miles south of San Diego. Boat is the 124' Excel ( excel sportfishing.com )
700 scoops of live sardines and macks onboard so its mostly a live bait/ drift sort of fishing.
Yellowtail, Yellowfin tuna and Wahoo are main targets.
I know this is not BC fishing but i thought i would post some pics and reports for anyone who may be interested.
First stop will be bottom fishing for yellowtail in a couple hours.

My Buddy did that trip a couple years ago. He still talks about how much fun it was and the fishing was crazy good. He was amazed at how efficient the deck crew is and how some anglers stayed on the cap rail all day. You are a lucky dog!

A bucket list item. Interested on what the gear situation is. Such a wide variety or situations , outfit and line classes you could need, terminal tackle , jigs , ect. Would love to hear how you go about it when your done with just your trip. Good luck.

A bucket list item. Interested on what the gear situation is. Such a wide variety or situations , outfit and line classes you could need, terminal tackle , jigs , ect. Would love to hear how you go about it when your done with just your trip. Good luck.

They list all suggested tackle on their website, it is quite the list that they recommend.

Hope you land a cow Terry!
Good luck and send photos!

Awesome stuff Terry :cool:. Please keep us posted. This is something I want to do soon. I saw your previous trip report and have read a lot about the BIG boats out of San Diego.

If anyone is interested in this type of trip and wants to research it, there are lots of reports on Bloody Decks.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/san-diego-long-range-fishing/

A really excellent book is this one

51obJlSaObL.jpg

Good luck man :p:D!!!

Sweet. Can't wait to read the reports even though reeding them could cost me whatever it cost to do one of those trips.

The water is exceptionally warm for this time of year. We did 3 brief stops but the bonita were such a nuisance we couldnt get our baits to the bottom where tbe sounder showed some yellowtail marks..mostly we travelled and trolled kelp patches heading south.
Tonite we are anchored off Cedros Island.
I tried to post some pics but the sat wifi may be too slow?

Most guests have 4-6 sets of gear. 30lb live bait ( just fluoro leader and a 3/0 hook, nothing else )
40lb jig, 50 lb jig, 50lb dropper loop ( think spreader bar but done w line only - no bar )
And some have a 100lb troll rod.
The boats all have loaner/ rental gear...so if you can tie your own knots and bait your own hook, you dont need to bring anything really.

Found the yellowtail at 10am this morning. We made 3 long drifts along a reef just south of Cedros island.
115 fish to the boat before the current changed and the bite died off.
Excellent grade of fish too! Most in high 20's and a few 30+.
These fish pull like mad halibut but with salmon speed - too fun!
Guys were catching on dropper loop ( 12-16oz weight w bait off bottom)
Live bait freezpooled
And the energetic guys cranked 'yo-yo' jigs ( like a large buzzbomb but flat on one side )

Great thread tykkyt e blue.... I took a look at the website and your particular trip details/name of trip/length/price etc - this link below takes you to a 'live' radio called in report on their website (after 10 pm tonight) from the captain - apparently captain calls in these reports and are recorded audio clips uploaded to the website each day .....very cool

http://www.excelsportfishing.com/pages/daily-fish-reports.php

There is posted pics too. ( I may even be in one of the pics )
I will have to post pics once i get home..the satelite sys is too slow and I time out even at 2am.

All last nite and this morning we travelled south. Couple hours to an area called 'the Ridge' - 20 miles offshore. If you look up Magdellena Bay, that is the south end of the Ridge.
Schoolie tuna 20lbers and chance at wahoo.
When your line comes back empty and 'someone' cut your line???
That was a wahoo bite! The bastards have teeth like razors and go right thru fluoro without you feeling the slightest bump.

There is posted pics too. ( I may even be in one of the pics )
I will have to post pics once i get home..the satelite sys is too slow and I time out even at 2am.

All last nite and this morning we travelled south. Couple hours to an area called 'the Ridge' - 20 miles offshore. If you look up Magdellena Bay, that is the south end of the Ridge.
Schoolie tuna 20lbers and chance at wahoo.
When your line comes back empty and 'someone' cut your line???
That was a wahoo bite! The bastards have teeth like razors and go right thru fluoro without you feeling the slightest bump.

Back