Now what???

Chum4chum

Hello all, I am new to Island living and just purchased an old boat recently....I'm scouring the forums for information. It sounds like the Springs are close to done, the Cohos are starting, and the Chum will follow.
What other species or runs are there to look forward to for the coming winter months? I'm hoping there's some great winter fishing! I haven't gotten a Spring yet and it seems that fishing for coho is a lot the same but maybe shallower? I'm excited to hook a cod or even a halibut....
I hear crabbing is good once the dead salmon are floating down the river...
Any tips on what you're looking forward to?
Thanks!

For me its now hunting season. Fishing takes a back seat. Should be some nice winter spring fishing starting late Nov?

HM

Welcome to SFBC Chum! Whereabouts do you live? I launch out of Sidney and am very much looking forward to coho in a couple weeks.
My tips for coho are:
- Faster trolling speed (3-3.5mph)
- More erratic action lures (increased spoon bend, faster bait roll and/or shorter leaders).
- Stronger colours (less green/glow, more orange and shiny)
- Deeper water. Off Sooke, for example, I have had my best luck in 400-500' of water along a tideline. Downrigger depth varies of course, but 65-100 should do the trick most days (just watch your fishfinder). Also have had pretty good success running a diving bass lure behind the boat about 30 feet.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started! Ask around at the boat launches for more area-specific advice. We're (mostly) quite friendly! :D

Welcome to SFBC Chum! Whereabouts do you live? I launch out of Sidney and am very much looking forward to coho in a couple weeks.
My tips for coho are:
- Faster trolling speed (3-3.5mph)
- More erratic action lures (increased spoon bend, faster bait roll and/or shorter leaders).
- Stronger colours (less green/glow, more orange and shiny)
- Deeper water. Off Sooke, for example, I have had my best luck in 400-500' of water along a tideline. Downrigger depth varies of course, but 65-100 should do the trick most days (just watch your fishfinder). Also have had pretty good success running a diving bass lure behind the boat about 30 feet.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started! Ask around at the boat launches for more area-specific advice. We're (mostly) quite friendly! :D

Thanks RC! I moved to the Comox area in July so have been trying to get a feel for the Kitty Coleman area. Thanks for the tips, will definitely try those!

Hey Chum

Just left the Comox valley. Fish still around up there, troll of bay entrance between "cans". Follow the boats, 80ft for the short timeframe. Winter springs were spotty never really got serious about them, 200ft-240ft glow and hootchie or spoon. Look at what is short in the tackle stores they are usually the "hot" ones. Enjoy the valley.

HM

Dont overlook the area's lakes in November-December. Find the creek mouths on any of the larger lakes on the island and troll a crock or small tomic in close to shore and you have a good chance at a huge cutty.

Winter fishing was excellent last year in the Campbell river area. I fished deep with glow spoons(Iron needle) and caught lots in the mid teens.

Caught a red rockfish/snapper and a bunch of prawns 2 days ago.
20150917_163612.jpg20150917_162206.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks halimark, we're loving it so far here. In regards to hunting, I was in Hinton, Alberta and I really do miss the hunting there but fishing has always been my preferred sport if I'm in a good area- Hinton wasn't great for that. Thanks for the fishing tips!
CV, have been googling what local lakes are good...Comox lake has a great variety- never caught a cuttie before- and Spider sounds interesting- never caught a bass before...but other than that I don't see a lot, any favorite fresh water holes? I'm usually a fly fisherman if I can help it.
capt. crunch- looks great...what does a guy look for to start prawn fishing? Don't have any gear for them yet and I hear they're deep!
Is there any beach fishing these days? Boat is a bit small and water a bit rough to take 3 kids cod fishing but they love a short shore fish- even if bullheads...I'm getting tired of them though but they make good crab bait!

Hey Chum

Just left the Comox valley. Fish still around up there, troll of bay entrance between "cans". Follow the boats, 80ft for the short timeframe. Winter springs were spotty never really got serious about them, 200ft-240ft glow and hootchie or spoon. Look at what is short in the tackle stores they are usually the "hot" ones. Enjoy the valley.

HM

Thanks halimark, we're loving it so far here. In regards to hunting, I was in Hinton, Alberta and I really do miss the hunting there but fishing has always been my preferred sport if I'm in a good area- Hinton wasn't great for that. Thanks for the fishing tips!
CV, have been googling what local lakes are good...Comox lake has a great variety- never caught a cuttie before- and Spider sounds interesting- never caught a bass before...but other than that I don't see a lot, any favorite fresh water holes? I'm usually a fly fisherman if I can help it.
capt. crunch- looks great...what does a guy look for to start prawn fishing? Don't have any gear for them yet and I hear they're deep!
Is there any beach fishing these days? Boat is a bit small and water a bit rough to take 3 kids cod fishing but they love a short shore fish- even if bullheads...I'm getting tired of them though but they make good crab bait!
Hey Chum

HM

Not sure what type of boat you have, but the backside of Texada has some nice lings and snapper around right now. Weather windows are a priority for you but if you study the charts you will see a number of humps about 1.5 to 2 KM out from Favada Point about 6Km from the north end on the west side. Lings are hanging out on the top of humps and snapper are around the bases. Use a jig around 12 oz or 300 grams as a minimum as the currents through the humps can be quite tricky. Drop the jig to the bottom and then reel back in about 6 feet with rod tip close to the surface then raise the rod for a full extension about 10 feet up and then back to the surface until you feel the jig weight on the rod again. Repeat. Every 6 to 10 jigs drop the jig to the bottom and reset. If you hit bottom ie getting shallower bring it in a few pulls.

Prawn fishing: 2 traps some rope and a float and a puller. Cheapest one I found was the Scotty on sale at Gone fishin' in Courtenay.

Enter a topic in the search box upper right hand of the screen. Endless amounts of info in the archives. I've learned so much on so many things from there. I was new to the salt 2 years ago and am primarily self taught with what I have learned from this forum.

That and a lot of time on the water. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back