Vic-Van Downtown/Downtown Foot Ferry-Yet Another Try?

Dogbreath

Well Hope Springs Eternal but looking @ their numbers they don't have a prayer

Proposed ferry service would link downtown Victoria to Vancouver

A new passenger service running between the Inner Harbour and downtown Vancouver could ferry tourists to Victoria as early as next year, officials said in a surprise announcement Wednesday.

Australia-based Riverside Marine is proposing to bring in two vessels similar to the Victoria-Seattle Clipper which would dock in a leased space at Victoria’s Steamship Terminal in April or May 2016.

“What is truly exciting about that opportunity is that once again will bring back a passenger ferry service to the iconic building,” said Harbour Authority CEO Ian Robertson. “That’s going to bring more tourists to Victoria, and I would guess it’s going to be those higher-yield, higher-margin guests. They’re going to want to spend more time in Victoria and hopefully, spend more money.”

The service would run approximately two trips per day with 300 passengers per trip, and would cost $80 for a one-way ticket between the harbour and Vancouver’s convention centre, according to Riverside Marine’s CEO Hume Campbell.

The trip would take about three hours and 10 minutes, and would be focused on providing a memorable experience at a higher cost than BC Ferries.

“We’re not in the $19 to $20 fair market, that’s not us,” Campbell said. “But it’ll be some of those people who just want to have a comfortable ride and get there very quickly and easily from downtown to downtown.”

Campbell, who said he worked on tugboats on the west coast of Canada for years as a young man, said he has been doing business in Australia for decade and runs a similar ferry service there.

“It’s profitable, it’s operating, our company’s been going for 89 years,” he said. “We have 21 vessels on Sydney Harbour, and we used to operate up in the Great Barrier Reef of Queensland.”

But the passenger route between B.C.’s capital and its biggest city may not be without it’s challenges.

It was attempted once in the 80s with jetfoil vessels and did not prove to be profitable, eventually folding.

Hume says his model is different because its privately funded and has been proven to work in his homeland.

With tourism numbers on the rebound in Greater Victoria this year, the timing could be right, said the CEO of Tourism Victoria’s CEO.

“I think what’s really important is that it gives the customers more choice,” said Paul Nursey. “These are private sector operators and they’re really big players and they’ve done their own research.”

The authority also announced Ocean Networks Canada is another possible tenant for the Steamship Terminal.

The organization is a University of Victoria initiative that operates ocean observatories, and would provide a “great experiential learning attraction” for kids, Nursey said.

The Harbour Authority Board still needs to approve both lease agreements.

Not in the " fair market"? Bet they didn't mean that? Guess you could say they are in the fairly expensive fare market however!

I live right downtown victoria. As I saw this headline I thought to myself, "How much would I pay for a ferry directly into downtown Vancouver". I came up with $50. When you consider that Harbour Air is offering flights on the weekends for $55-$65 that take 20 mins instead of 3.5 hours there is a big gap that I doubt they will be able to fill, at least for locals.

Tourists on the other hand...

Went through this with Royal Sea link Express. We had fast cat services out of these terminals before. It is great idea in Victoria and Nanaimo but BC ferries along with government need to stay out of it. Royal Sealink failed because they were pushed aside and government made it hard to do business in harbour. It used to depart along with the clipper right in center of harbour ( where whale watching groups are now and seaplanes). So they shutdown, and then a few years later the idea for fast cats arrived from BC ferries. We dont want another situation where we are going to get a clipper 5 out of it because the business shuts down. The clipper 4 is the old sealink boat that the clipper navigation group acquired.

Personally I really wish Darryl the CEO from clipper would do the run. I know it has been discussed in past before,but because they are a US based company they would have to expand up here. The clipper captains understand the weather that these cats go through. Many times the clipper will hobble in on one motor because they stuck sticks and material in to the cat drive. It does cause delays but because they usually have a few sailings it works itself out... Doing back to back runs if things get out of whack it throws entire sytem out. Railings have also been ripped off so these ships do they have limitations... If you are slightest sea sick it can be awful as these don't roll they pitch.

I can tell you by working at the clipper terminal years ago the the cat drives need a pretty specialized crew and your going need to get a number of talented individuals here to drive them.

Victoria also has to realize you have a new terminal (20 years overdue) opening for Clipper. If you add another cat your going to need more infrastructure and tax money to beef up terminals, fuel, harbour authority etc. You can't just plunk it in there, and you will have to do same in Vancouver. I doubt clipper navigation, and all the port Angeles, San Juan, runs are just going to let them run in terminal without paying something. Usually when you ask taxpayers for it they usually want it but won't pay for it. Same with fairs these cats burn a lot of fuel so you may be looking at high price.

I wish though luck to Nanaimo on Victoria it wasn't right that these were forced out of business. Great idea but still its not as simple as this article is making it that is all. Personally I think Nanaimo is more do-able if we are really serious about it. It sounds like they are getting much buy in to get it in. I haven't seen any news lately...

Here is a little history on the royal Royal express sealink...

http://ferriesbc.proboards.com/thread/8385/royal-sealink-express

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle Clipper fare *2016 $109 - $179; two sailings a day - Seattle ok for tourists...doubts about a Van run
http://www.clippervacations.com/schedules-fares/

Holy cow its gone up.. Yeah sammy this was a long time ago when sea link folded there was talk. Its going to be interesting. The challenge will be accommodating the vessel. That harbour is crammed, and in worst case say bad weather clipper need 3 spots for Clipper 1, 111, and 1V... So you add another one plus all the other runs (Victoria star etc) going to be interesting..Coho will be interesting too..

They must be taking out some of the inner harbour dock space in Victoria to do it. Maybe clipper is staying where it is not sure..I just heard there getting a new facility as well and getting rid of the portable buildings finally.

Yes,the harbour is crammed...apparently the Harbour Authority likes it that way...a steady cash - stream...;)

Ogden Point should be expanded into a multiuse facility...tons of room and options there.

On a footnote what happened to the Maritime Museum proposal...pushed aside?

Yes,the harbour is crammed...apparently the Harbour Authority likes it that way...a steady cash - stream...;)

Ogden Point should be expanded into a multiuse facility...tons of room and options there.

On a footnote what happened to the Maritime Museum proposal...pushed aside?

Think so its in bad spot if they cant find home for it...

Seattle Clipper fare *2016 $109 - $179; two sailings a day - Seattle ok for tourists...doubts about a Van run

I did the same thing as Sammy - looked up the Clipper fares. Why is the Seattle service going strong whilst Vancouver service failed? Sailing times are comparable. Seems that with intelligent marketing that $C 80 fare should look like a deal compared to $US 105 (midsummer one-way rate, they discount for round trip, low and shoulder seasons). The Clipper is directly pitched at tourists so it's an occasional thing, same would apply to Van-Vic ferry too - locals mostly have other transport options to get them to and from the BC ferry terminals.

I did the same thing as Sammy - looked up the Clipper fares. Why is the Seattle service going strong whilst Vancouver service failed? Sailing times are comparable. Seems that with intelligent marketing that $C 80 fare should look like a deal compared to $US 105 (midsummer one-way rate, they discount for round trip, low and shoulder seasons). The Clipper is directly pitched at tourists so it's an occasional thing, same would apply to Van-Vic ferry too - locals mostly have other transport options to get them to and from the BC ferry terminals.

The Clipper only competes with Coho and the Anacortes runs and they both offer limited daily sailings. Will be hard for a Vict to Van service to compete with an hourly ferry service where you can take your car for the same amount as harbour to harbour and no car. T Sailing time 1.5 hours and a 40 minute drive to downtown Vancouver. Still less than 3 1/4 hrs and again no car to get around. It won't fly for locals. If it was $25 and ran late after games, concerts...different story. With only 300 passengers and a 3 1/4 hour fuel burn on some serious engines...it will never be cheap enough

Maybe a viable option for the day tripper tour bus groups?

$80 seems fair to me. I've never paid $55-65 to fly by air ever. And I've flown to Victoria at least 50 times in the last 10 years. It takes me 4.5 hours from my office in Van to downtown Victoria driving versus their 3 hours. Looks like good value to me. If Seattle works, why not Vancouver. I wish them luck. The more competition the better.

The Clipper only competes with Coho and the Anacortes runs and they both offer limited daily sailings. Will be hard for a Vict to Van service to compete with an hourly ferry service where you can take your car for the same amount as harbour to harbour and no car. T Sailing time 1.5 hours and a 40 minute drive to downtown Vancouver. Still less than 3 1/4 hrs and again no car to get around. It won't fly for locals. If it was $25 and ran late after games, concerts...different story. With only 300 passengers and a 3 1/4 hour fuel burn on some serious engines...it will never be cheap enough

That sort of what I was getting at. The crossing is not that easy, and the sucking of sticks and debris are constant challenges with those vessels. This was some time ago but the clipper 4 was just exploring night vision etc to see if they could pick up those sticks to avoid. It was a huge issue.

I think if this new company follows a clipper business plan it could do OK.. Like how Clipper vacations puts up package deals with hotels you could do more more of a twice a day route or something.. A back to back sailing for vessel like that I can't really see it, and to get down to below $50 is not likely. It doesn't mesh with harbor operations doing it frequently, and I think there will be breakdowns..

Also catamarans are not most comfortable. Every seat on clipper has a bag and that get used trust me! I use to cringe at fax fro Seattle Pier 69 group that that said "puker boat coming in". On a good day not so bad but on bad weather day look out.

Back