No bananas!

If you believe the legends, the sailing ships in the old days that imported banana's and other tropical fruits often ended up with poisonous insects in the cargo.
the insects would often cause havoc with the crew thus giving the banana boats a bad reputation

Last edited by a moderator:
Suitcases onboard is a fishing boat no-no as well. Even when camera crew boarded crab boats to film Discovery Channel’s reality series “Deadliest Catch,” they were asked to leave their equipment suitcases on the dock [source: Deadliest Catch].

I believe women are on the list too. lol

Way back in the 60's Freighters would dock at my home town on the SE Atlantic Coast (Near Jacksonville, Florida). One of the uncles worked nights unloading ships.

Yep, we kids would often go down to the docks at night and catch tarantulas when the banana boats were unloaded.

So, yea, big nasty bugs came aboard the ships. Don't think I would want to be a crewman on the ships all the way from Costa Rica to the U.S.

interesting. Funny how truths get lost in "folk lore". Makes sense with bananas, that uneducated peeps may blindly follow things like this, or "myths". Kind of the black box obsession that some seem to have.. and Im not sure how that one started.

I snapped this picture at the Columbia River Maritime Museum. I was surprised to not see any mention of bananas. Some interesting ones though.

And a bonus pic from the museum

There's always room for Hawkins

interesting. Funny how truths get lost in "folk lore". Makes sense with bananas, that uneducated peeps may blindly follow things like this, or "myths". Kind of the black box obsession that some seem to have.. and Im not sure how that one started.

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! Hold the fort there buddy!!! :p

These are far more than a superstition, "myth" or "folk lore".....these are PROVEN to work when on board and are ALWAYS on board! Always a few sacrificed to the fish gods to start the day and we NEVER get skunked.....hahahahaha. :rolleyes:

Always room for a bag of Hawkins!!! :p

980552.JPG

Mr Cheezie RIP...:(
1335154447232_ORIGINAL.jpg

I'm personally responsible for getting more than a few of our neighbors to the south addicted to those things. They buy bags of them as soon as they get across the border!! lol

If you believe the legends, the sailing ships in the old days that imported banana's and other tropical fruits often ended up with poisonous insects in the cargo.
the insects would often cause havoc with the crew thus giving the banana boats a bad reputation

In addition, in the days of sailing ships voyage time was not as predictable and varied considerably as it was wind dependent and a lack of advanced weather reporting on major storms could also slow down voyage time fighting major storms or being forced off course. Banana's no matter how small and green they are picked are a very fast ripening fruit and it was bad luck when the voyage took longer than expected and the cargo/profit was lost. Better to transport less profit risky cargo.

Also heard that in the old days because bananas were perishable, the ships had to travel at high speeds and take more risk, in order to ensure their product made it to market in good shape

Last edited:

troll ! lol

Back