Fuel use betwen PA and Bamfield?

Oil & Water

Hi,

As a new boat owner I thought I would ask rather than learn by mistake.

I have a 21" Campion Explorer with a 2006 115Hp Yamaha and 8 Kicker, I assume a 200L tank.

If I leave PA, travel towards Bamfield, say fish some of the 'hot spots' and return to PA how much fuel consumption can I expect.

I assume that filling up at Poet Nook Marina is good for life preservation and then return to PA?

Any help/advise is appreciated!!

I run Victoria to Bamfield in August it's 107 miles dock to dock. I have a 24 seasport with a 5.0 Volvo duo prop, it's a 5 hour trip and I burn 50 gallons one way. Fuel pricing in Bamfield was between $1.40-$1.45 per litre. I think you are being ambitious for a one day trip. The "motel" in town has its own dock, bar and decent food. That's where we stay.

I burn 130L in. 19' with 3L mercruiser. Doing that exact trip. You will burn all your 200L

That's just fishing the wall or something close. Nothing off shore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I burn 130L in. 19' with 3L mercruiser. Doing that exact trip. You will burn all your 200L

That's just fishing the wall or something close. Nothing off shore.

not necessarily Canso - I have a 1995 115HP Yammy (mind you its in a 16.5ft Campion) and we can run out from PA and back on about 75 litres or less, and thats cruising around 25mph.

i have a 21 foot campion explorer 215 with a 4.3l volvo

i do that trip all the time...usually fish edward king/beale then the wall and kirby and might hit diplock and pill on the way home...and i return with over a 1/4 tank of fuel.

cant hurt to take on fuel in bamfeild or poets nook the first few trips untill you are confident in your range?

Damn I'm an idiot! I thought PA were the initials for Port Angeles, WA. Now I realize it was for Port Alberni. Apparently I've been looking on BloodyDecks too much. My apologies.

"I assume that filling up at Poet Nook Marina is good for life preservation and then return to PA?"

I would do that in case something unexpected happens, such as the weather kicks up just after leaving Bamfield and you start burning a lot more fuel getting back then going out.

2102 Trophy 150/9.9 Honda. 4am start fished PA sockeye till 8. Ran the inlet all the way at 25kts to 7 mile fished the better part of the day. Ran back fished Kirby for a few hours then went for dinner in bamfield. Went back out and fished the wall for another couple of hours. The next day filled her up in bamfield... 69 litres :cool:

My best advice is to not "assume" you have a 200 litre tank - find out! On my Campion, the tank size was shown on a plate on the tank. Fuel burn is going to depends on many factors - speed, wind, current, boat load, etc. Advice from others on how much fuel they burn on the run isn't particularly helpful unless they are running the same boat/motor combination as you. Take you boat out on some test runs and figure out how much fuel in burns under various conditions (not too hard to do).

I have to agree with bigbruce-fuel burn is specific to your boat, water conditions and how you drive it! You are asking for some serious trouble if you start counting on what other people get. Err on the side of caution until you know what you can get-and never count on the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank-you never know how much of that gas is usable-wouldn't be the first boat I've seen where the bottom 20 litres won't feed!!

Hi,

I have a 21" Campion Explorer with a 2006 115Hp Yamaha and 8 Kicker, I assume a 200L tank.

If I leave PA, travel towards Bamfield, say fish some of the 'hot spots' and return to PA how much fuel consumption can I expect.

I assume that filling up at Poet Nook Marina is good for life preservation and then return to PA?

Rule of thumb is one third there, one third back and one third in reserve.

My best advice is to not "assume" you have a 200 litre tank - find out! On my Campion, the tank size was shown on a plate on the tank. Fuel burn is going to depends on many factors - speed, wind, current, boat load, etc. Advice from others on how much fuel they burn on the run isn't particularly helpful unless they are running the same boat/motor combination as you. Take you boat out on some test runs and figure out how much fuel in burns under various conditions (not too hard to do).

Good response just fill it up and find out.

I'm going to guess 7 gallons an hour up on plane is close to what you will use. Obviously the 8 hp won't use much while fishing.

Hi,

Are you sure you do not have the Campion 542? It is not 21 ft, just under 18 actually. You burn less than 1/2 the tank if that is the case roundtrip. FYI the tank on a 2006 542 should be 200 Litres. You will burn about 1 litre per NM. The boat has great range for the power assuming you run at a comfortable cruise and not WOT. Now if you really have a 21ft, all best are off as you will have a hard time even getting on a plane with a 115.

Looks like it's about 35NM from Port Alberni to Bamfield? So 70NM round trip + about 15NM to fishing area and back is about 85NM travel under main motor. For what it's worth, on my 17' Double Eagle with 1996 115 Yamaha 2 stroke, assuming light winds, I'd burn about 95 liters + some extra for trolling with the 9.9 kicker.

Isn't there fuel in bamfield?
As for fuel consumption, a fuel flow meter is worth it's weight in gold. I have NM/gal on my chart plotter and that's the only number I look at

Ha ha, I can only hope for that kind of milage....17 US gallons/hour...so bad, I call OPEC before coming to the fuel dock to make sure they made enough. Oil prices go up when they notice my tank nearing "E"...you got nothing to worry about there. Easy to calculate by simply looking at your gallon/hour burn x the 1.5 hours each way and Bob's your uncle. I have fuel management system on the boat which tells me to the penny how much I have to bend over at the pump...highly recommend it as it takes the guess work out of it.

Clutsei Ramp to Poett Nook

Thanks All for the posts!

I will stay safe and bring some xtra gas the first few times and stop at Poets and fill up!

I ran up the inlet from PA (Clutsei Reserve ramp) in a Double Eagle 185 ,same Yamaha 115 4-stroke, to Poett Nook early in the morning (flat water, no wind) and out of curiosity topped up my tank. $36 dollars and change @ $1.50 a litre works out to 24 litres burned. The distance travelled was about 28 nautical miles and I was going at 22knots or so. Add another 7 nautical miles to Bamfield, double it to get back to PA and I figure I would use about 60 litres plus whatever was burned trolling on the kicker ( also an 8 horse Yamaha ) which would be minimal. If, as someone suggested, your boat is a Campion 542 and not a 21' these figures would apply, if it is 21' I'd suggest shopping for a bigger motor. ( sorry, just kidding)

Back