Wiring question

Madmax

Hello all, newbie needs help....

Just got our first boat at the end of May, and I am trying to make some improvements. Bought some electronics; most have a red and black wire, straightforward, R+ B-, but one component has black, red and white; says R is positive B is negative and the white is ground.

So, question is, what do I connect the white to?

I know in a car 12 V system the black, or negative is referred to as ground. So is it the same on a boat?

Thanks in advance, Max

Hard to say what it is without more detail, but it could be a standby wire for connection to ignition switch.

If the boat has a ground system. Red (R) goes to positive on the battery. Black (B) goes to negative on the battery. White (W) goes to the boats ground.

No wiring diagram, but below is a cut and paste from the installation manual.

It is a Northstar GPS/Chartplotter.

Charlie, how would I tell if the boat has a grounding system? Sorry if that is an elementary question, but totally new to this.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 305
DOH!

Just read my own post and there it is in black and white....black and white can be connected at the power source.....that's what I thought but just wanted to be sure, didn't want to fry anything the first time I hooked it up.

Thanks everyone who answered.

Hi Madmax. Unlike a car, a boat might have an earth ground - water. As an FYI saltwater is a reliable earth ground while freshwater is not. Right below where it says wire white & black together at battery ground, it says if a good earth ground is not available, cap & stow the white wire - which means double-over the end of the white wire & wrap electrical tape around it.
On my boat everything metal and the negative battery terminal are metal-to-metal connected via a string loaded brush on the prop shaft.

To check if you have a similar set-up, you will need a digital ohm meter that can measure 1/100 of an ohm. Take this measurement between the neg battery terminal and some bare metal that is in contact with the water - leg on you O/B, etc. Or have a boat shop that understands what this stuff is all about do it. If they say it doesn't matter, find another shop.

Back