Large number of boats in maple ridge catching 100's of fish - allowed ??

zurk

Went across fraser in the maple ridge area just after the golden ears bridge. saw a ton (20+) of boats there with large fishing nets - basically a bouy, bunch of small floats and a huge net hanging off that. Some were commercial boats but some were also private boats with BC numbers. They were all catching fish. Talked to one guy with a BC reg # on his boat and he said he caught 30+ salmon in ONE HOUR. What sort of a fishing license do you need to do something like that ? They are catching literally hundreds of fish in the nets - basically the white buoys disappear and wham - fish is caught. they wait until 5-10 disappear and reel it in then drop it out again.
No baits required. Seems like angling etc is a poor substitute for something like this floating net technique.

one was a native boat - rest of the guys were white. how do you get in on this gill net stuff ? is there a license to buy for this rig ?
Untitled.jpg

Native fishery. How do you know they were white ? My neighbour is 1/4 native,blonde,but has ability to drift net and has his status card..
Not everything you see as it seems...

talked to a bunch of them. native guys were in a poor crappy boat with native symbols all over it. all the rest were either in commercial boats with the round wheel or boats like this one. pretty sure all the guys i talked to were 100% white. native guys have native features.

talked to a bunch of them. Native guys were in a poor crappy boat with native symbols all over it. All the rest were either in commercial boats with the round wheel or boats like this one. Pretty sure all the guys i talked to were 100% white. Native guys have native features.

no white man is netting on the fraser at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
talked to a bunch of them. native guys were in a poor crappy boat with native symbols all over it. all the rest were either in commercial boats with the round wheel or boats like this one. pretty sure all the guys i talked to were 100% white. native guys have native features.

So all natives have crappy boats, and dark skin? You are generalizing my friend.

There have been no true commercial openings on the Fraser this summer (conducted by real commercial fishermen, having a commercial license, recording their catch, selling to proper buyers with proper health inspected facilities and all those involved paying taxes) anyone else using a gill net will be involved in some manner with the native fishery.

LOL I sense a troll may be in our midst...

Tell that to my native wife who is blonde haired, blue eyed, white, and who's grandpa is as native as can be.

Fraser River Native food/ceremonial fishery openings do look rather "commercial" at times. Especially when there are a lot of participants and boat's taking part.

Native communal openings: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

Call DFO and report.
That is what they are there for, they set the rules.

Does that group have the nod from the Cheam Band, Stollo Nation and Musqueam Band?

Exactly, that is why you advise DFO.
It is their job to check who is fishing and if they are approved.

Perhaps you didn't get the email OBD, my apologizes if so but I thought i sent it to you.
Here is a copy....

Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:06:33 PM
Subject: Peacemakers web site

We are pleased to officially release the Peacemakers web site at: http://fraserriverpeacemakers.ca/ This has been an ongoing process partially funded by the "Harmony on the Fraser" initiative. We thank all the organizations & agencies that have contributed to the ongoing "Peacemaker/Harmony on the Fraser" initiative, both financially & through contribution in kind. We especially thank all the dedicated volunteers that have provided valuable counsel since 2009.

The " Fraser River Peacemakers" process is officially in it's 6th year and we are optimistic we have made some contribution to improving relations between the various user groups. Our longevity continues to be based on the established & ongoing positive relationships between First Nations and recreational interests. The past years has seen genuine efforts to provide safe respectful fisheries on the Fraser River. Our successes to date are primarily due to greater understanding & respect for each other's fisheries. We have a common goal which is to protect & provide future fisheries for our children & grandchildren.

We are asking all organizations & individuals to promote our web site & provide links wherever possible. Please forward to all those that you know will find of interest. We have provided a section for those who would like to make suggestions or become more involved in the Fraser River Peacemakers process. Our offer to assist in creating similar processes in other areas of the province continues.

With an anticipated substantial pink fishery for the Fraser this summer, conflicts between user groups could occur. The role of the "Conflict Resolution Committee" is to attempt to solve & prevent conflicts. Each page of the site highlights how to report a conflict or perceived potential conflict. We realize that all conflicts cannot be prevented, but we do have the contacts in place to attempt to solve them. Past experience has shown some success in preventing & solving conflict by Peacemakers.

It should always be noted that any & all conflicts of a violent nature should be reported to both the RCMP & DFO fisheries officers.

We remain committed to working toward safe respectful fisheries for all user groups & preserving this priceless resource for our respective future generations.

Rod Clapton Co Chair
Ernie Crey Co Chair

Back