Opinions on these semi barb-less hooks.

kyjelly44

Well next weekend we'll be heading up to Nootka for the week, and i needed some hooks to tie some fresh lures. I noticed these maruto hooks that are "semi bard-less". Had a look at how the semi bard system would work and thought well at least i wont have to try and pinch them good.:rolleyes:
maruto-semi-barbless-treble.jpg

Interesting-wonder if they are legal? DFO checks them and I have seen them run a hook in a sweater to see if it sticks-methinks those might stick and you could/might run into a problem-real pain if you have to file them flat! Just playing the devils advocate here.

I just ran a few test on different materials. everything past 100%, even the "cotton ball test". makes me wounder if it will have any more "holding" advantage over a factory barb-less.
[video]https://youtu.be/UiIlfC2pTJM

I use the single hook sickle version of this for float fishing in rivers. What Maruto calls thier 'catfsh' hooks.

I dont believe those ridges have any fish holding advantage, or if it does, marginal at best. I like them for their sickle shape and the heavier guage wire wont straighten like the smaller Gamakatsu's

Last edited by a moderator:
In the future you ought help yourself, Dan. You already posted about the cons of trebles (If B.C. banned the use and sale of ALL treble hooks and ALL barbed singles in fresh and saltwater....stores can only sell single barbless hooks, etc... ...Would you still go fishing ?) so no need for the sarcastic hijack.

Last edited by a moderator:
A small single is all you need if you run a trailer. Another treble is a hassle.

Hey I just thought it was funny, lots of people post funny things here but if you're offended - for some reason - I can remove it, no big deal, just thought it was funny.
I don't recall "posting" about the cons of treble hooks but I do have an interest as what others think of them and whether or not they are deemed as crucial or not in the fishing community. If you hear me repeat my opinion it is because someone here is asking for it, it's a fishing forum :)
B.C. being one of the best fishing destinations on earth makes me curious how we do and perceive things here compared to other great fishing destinations and whether or not we are up to par or still in the dark ages.

im just a little pissed i cant find any of these to fish. i wish atomic plug would make something like this with these new semi barbless hooks.
5ff9a043375b29c0ff391d342e5ccfa5.jpg

I get asked all the time why there are so many regulations and I tell folks it's because fishermen are so good at getting around them. The wool test is not a legal test, but it is a dramatic display. A judge may not be impressed to rule on the defense argument of "semi-barbless" being the same as barbless. I can't give legal advice but friendly advice would be: if you use "semi-barbless" hooks to fish for salmon, don't fight the $150 ticket as the judge can always add more.

I wasn't going to say anything because this thread was fading away but since it's back... Dan go ahead and eat as much kale and tofu off your circle hooks but don't tell me I'm a bad fisherman for using stingers. Loads of good fishermen and professional guides use trebles, we don't need your sass!

I get asked all the time why there are so many regulations and I tell folks it's because fishermen are so good at getting around them. The wool test is not a legal test, but it is a dramatic display. A judge may not be impressed to rule on the defense argument of "semi-barbless" being the same as barbless. I can't give legal advice but friendly advice would be: if you use "semi-barbless" hooks to fish for salmon, don't fight the $150 ticket as the judge can always add more.
Thanks Bryce.. I chuckled at that one.

Why would you want a jagged saw blade added to treble... Doesn't that actually make it worse opening wound up when you apply pressure to fish? First of all muruto hooks are XXXX in my opinion... I am basing on that and the single hooks I snapped this year with all my silver crap spoons... Wouldn't surprise me if these are the same.. I wouldn't run them personally..Just a gimmic.

I am with Dan. Trebles are for people do not have confidence in their fishing skills. The also change the action on a lure/bait. My opinion is the change in action is a negative change. I like to use a large Siwash whenever possible; the crimped barb results in a hump.

With bait, I have gone from a single treble to a treble/single trailer to a single/single trailer (up eye mooching hooks, not siwash). If you are like me & like to eat fish, bottom line is to use what brings more fish to the boat.

All this treble versus single what catches fish better is all opinion. When it comes to which is easier on a fish that will be released, treble looses.

No confidence on skills OMG! I guess pretty much everyone including guides lack confidence...Let's all change to singles and give some more ideas to Dfo
.Be careful what you wish for just saying... BTW I am tying up my leaders for today and this vmc treble looks awesome....

Been fishing with treble hooks for 30-40 years and all this time..... I had no confidence in my fishing skills. That's been my problem. I I never bring many fish to the boat. Damm been doing it all wrong. All I needed to do was change to singles with a trailer.

Why would you want a jagged saw blade added to treble... Doesn't that actually make it worse opening wound up when you apply pressure to fish? First of all muruto hooks are XXXX in my opinion... I am basing on that and the single hooks I snapped this year with all my silver crap spoons... Wouldn't surprise me if these are the same.. I wouldn't run them personally..Just a gimmic.

I agree that the rough edge, jagged edge would create a larger hole that it seems a hook could back out of easy.

However, these Maruto Hooks are different than the Matzuo hooks you've had the breakage issue with. May be crap too but they are a different brand.

http://www.marutohooks.com/

http://www.matzuo.com/hooks

I haven't used trebles for years so doesn't affect me. actually I lied. I use them for hali's once in awhile, but I need to adopt the circle hook (for hali's) and get rid of them (the trebles) also.... sometimes it's a pain trying to get a treble out of a deeply hooked hali... usually end up performing surgery with my fillet knife and it's not a pretty pic... should maybe have a set of 10" HD needle nose pliers..

Back