Unwanted Invasive BC Fish?

So lately I have been catching Bullhead from various lakes around BC. What should I do with them? Bonk them on the head and throw them back in? I have seen 2 Lampreys so far. One was already dead and the other I chopped its head off. If I wanted to, could I put a bunch of the invasive fish in a sectioned private fish tank? (Unwanted/ Disposable Fish)

So lately I have been catching Bullhead from various lakes around BC. What should I do with them? Bonk them on the head and throw them back in? I have seen 2 Lampreys so far. One was already dead and the other I chopped its head off. If I wanted to, could I put a bunch of the invasive fish in a sectioned private fish tank? (Unwanted/ Disposable Fish)
Can you post a picture of these Bullheads, and why would you kill a lamprey? again, pictures if possible.

Lampreys are a invasive species. They terrorize the native fish population in the Great Lakes. I had a picture of the Lamprey but I cannot find it. Here is a picture of the Bullhead (Cant find other pics).WP_001103.jpg

No and no, both killing and tossing back, as well as transporting and then keeping captive a fish you caught are very much illegal as well as being bad karma. Try eating the bullheads, have you no idea how tasty they are??

Also, Lampreys are not always invasive, the Cowichan river and lake system is home to a native variety...

No and no, both killing and tossing back, as well as transporting and then keeping captive a fish you caught are very much illegal as well as being bad karma. Try eating the bullheads, have you no idea how tasty they are??

Also, Lampreys are not always invasive, the Cowichan river and lake system is home to a native variety...

Well I cant imagine eating a Bullhead, but if they sell them at T&T Supermarket it must be alright. I heard tossing back invasive fish is illegal though. Its like releasing a Lionhead into a lake. If I simply toss back an invasive fish, how can BC eliminate any invasive species? I also heard that Alberta had a bounty on Feral Hogs (Wild Boars) and their invasive... but their not fish soo.

Looks like a Brown Bullhead. Most likely the lamprey you caught was a Pacific Lamprey, very much indigenous to BC. Please post that picture if you find it ..

Well I cant imagine eating a Bullhead, but if they sell them at T&T Supermarket it must be alright. I heard tossing back invasive fish is illegal though. Its like releasing a Lionhead into a lake. If I simply toss back an invasive fish, how can BC eliminate any invasive species? I also heard that Alberta had a bounty on Feral Hogs (Wild Boars) and their invasive... but their not fish soo.

You would think that a bounty or bonking them would put a dent in their population however, to really control these fish species they have to do a mass kill off. If enough people were just catching invasive species, bonking them, and tossing them back, the water would get real stinky, real fast.

I heard that Brown Bullheads are invasive. Is it alright if I put one in a tank? I will probably do some more research so I can identify the good Lampreys from the bad ones.

I don't think Burnaby parks and rec or Freshwater Fisheries are willing to exterminate Como Lake. I know its not really practical to kill one every time its takes your bait but its better than nothing. I guess I will release the Bullheads from now on.

Brown Bullheads can and do get up and over a few pounds in size. I'd keep casting new bait until a big one takes it. What are you using for bait exactly? Might be worth switching to something a little less tasty to the cats if you don't intend to target them.

I heard that Brown Bullheads are invasive. Is it alright if I put one in a tank?
Well no one cares what you keep in a tank but the transport of live fish is prohibited. If you try it and get caught get ready to break out the chequebook. Having said that, I've always thought instead of your typical tropical aquarium, one populated with locally occurring freshwater species would be very cool, though very illegal.

Here's some info for you right out of the rule books.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_provincial.pdf

Under the "It is unlawful to...." section.

*Release fish in a harmful manner if you are not going to keep your catch. Follow the catch & release tips outlined on p. 11.

*Have any live fish in your possession
in the wild, or move any live fish or
live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait
or release your aquarium fish to the wild.

Brown Bullheads can and do get up and over a few pounds in size. I'd keep casting new bait until a big one takes it. What are you using for bait exactly? Might be worth switching to something a little less tasty to the cats if you don't intend to target them.

I am using basic hook and worm. On occasion, I do catch carp here and there, but the trout are almost non existent at the lake. The problem is that... Bullheads eat everything! A few years ago I was catching like 6 Bullhead, and only 1 or 2 Carp.

You are under NO OBLIGATION to kill ANY fish you catch, it is more or less up to you but your options are limited.
It comes down to kill or release(in the water you caught it in), if you kill you should do so to consume.
As the rules already posted by Big_Shank state, you cannot hold or transport live fish or release them in a harmful matter.
Kill 'em and eat them or let them go where you caught them without harm....pretty easy.
Remember, these fish did not "invade" - humans put them there.
Introduced is a more accurate than invasive.

So what are you trying to catch ? Trout ?
Have you tried floating Powerbait a few feet off the bottom ?

have you tried using the bull heads at dusk and dawn for bait?we at night around the lake at campfire build bullhead traps at shore ,and cast and capture big cutties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some info for you right out of the rule books.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_provincial.pdf

Under the "It is unlawful to...." section.

*Release fish in a harmful manner if you are not going to keep your catch. Follow the catch & release tips outlined on p. 11.

*Have any live fish in your possession
in the wild, or move any live fish or
live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait
or release your aquarium fish to the wild.

Thank you for showing me this. I read the rule book but not in detail.

You are under NO OBLIGATION to kill ANY fish you catch, it is more or less up to you but your options are limited.
It comes down to kill or release(in the water you caught it in), if you kill you should do so to consume.
As the rules already posted by Big_Shank state, you cannot hold or transport live fish or release them in a harmful matter.
Kill 'em and eat them or let them go where you caught them without harm....pretty easy.
Remember, these fish did not "invade" - humans put them there.
Introduced is a more accurate than invasive.

So what are you trying to catch ? Trout ?
Have you tried floating Powerbait a few feet off the bottom ?

In the past I have had no luck with Powerbait. I was fishing at Lightning Lake and I had success with worms.

have you tried using the bull heads at dusk and dawn for bait?we at night around the lake at campfire build bullhead traps at shore ,and cast and capture big cutties.

To be honest, yes I have. I was not going to waste the fish so I decided to use it as bait.
I just realized I did something illegal. You can only use dead fish when fishing for Sturgeon in the Fraser River. (Region 2)

Last edited by a moderator:
However, the rules state not to use any sort of nets for fishing. Man, all the kids at Buntzen Lake are not going to be happy.

This is not legal and why we have 'introduced, non native species' in many lakes. Good for you Juice, you realized your mistake.

Back