Shuswap

Bjw

Hey all, heading to shuswap for a couple weeks in late August, staying near Magna bay, I know it ll be tough fishing with the heat so morn and eve will be best and I read the thread about the lures to use, just looking for any other advice on how to get a bow or laker around that area that time of year. I have a 12 ft Lund with no riggers. Also was thinking of getting a guide for a few hrs one day so I can see how it's done on the lake, any recomondations? Thanx alot

Thanx bgm, a lot of good info there, going to try some deep 6s anyone have an experience fishing with them?

How deep would you start fishing that JAC, and what depth of water would you start in? Thanx

I'd be trying around 100' for lakers. if you can't find them at that depth go up and down in 10' increments between 80 and 120 till you find them.... helps to have a fishfinder and follow the contours..

Lyman lures on downriggers take lake trout. Any colour really seems to work well.favourite lure to use on the Shuswap. Another good choice is a 4" apex behind the agitator flasher or a coyote spoon.for lakers stick to 70-100+feet for the lures depending on where their marking. If that doesn't work try putting the lure 10 ft above the markings. I switch up the lure or depth every 20 mins if I am marking a lot of fish. Lyman's also take nice rainbows. Coyote spoons in blue Chrome, party girl, blue holographic. Rainbow and nickel/ orange stripe crocs do good at 20-60 ft deep.apexs are good in the cop car, watermelon, blue/Chrome, pink/prl Orange ect.

Good luck that lake has some huge fish and is incredibly fun to fish.if you don't have a downrigger try slip weights. They come all sorts of sizes and it generally means a 6oz will take ur lure down to 60'. For a hundred bucks you can get a downrigger and ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx guys can't wait! A got a few 8 10 and 12 oz slip wait from salmon fishing way back when any idea how much line if have to let out to get the 10 oz down a hundred feet while trolling ?

Ive had good luck with a Bright Orange and Yellow 4" coyote about 150 yds back with 8oz of weight trolling at 3mph picked up a nice 30" rainbow on that mix

50 feet is a good depth to start for rainbows

If I have kids on the boat I Always run two super light Walmart combo rods, set up with a 1\4 oz egg lead and bead on the mainline followed by a wedding band on one rod and little rainbow apex on the other. run the lines 70-100 feet back and it will keep things interesting with 1-2 pound fish most days. I suspect these lines are at about 15 feet ish, Caught some nice ones at 121 on the downrigger the other day

I fished the south arm down by the Adams River and fishing was pretty good all weekend. Averaged 10-12 fish a day. Smallest was a 3lb rainbow. Largest was 10-12lb laker. All caught on 4" slow troll chrome or watermelon/chrome apex behind a green and silver agitator. Caught the biggest rainbow on the surface and it was the only one caught on the surface. All the rest were down 50-90ft in 70-100 ft of water.

My favourite lake to fish , lyman lures and 3-4" apex like everyone else has said , have caught numerous big rainbows 5-10lbs right on top during the summer as Well but usually fish 40-100 feet .. found the best laker bite for big ones right in the morn just bonk them on the head they will bite . good luck .

Thanx for all the info guys, pretty excited to fish the lake, oh getting married too, the inlaws have a cabin there so should be some years of good fishing to come, cheers.
Bjw

One week to my trip getting excited anyone been out lately? More importantly any new closures or restrictions involving rainbow and lake trout? Thanx

Back