2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

James57, it is a 2 day limit, so 4 coho per day, means you can have 8 in possession per person, remember though that if you have caught some springs your limit is still 8 salmon per person of which only 2 springs per day or 4 on possession apply means you could only have 4 coho.

Thank you very much for helping clarify that. Hitting a possession limit is not a "problem" I've had in the past, but I'm thinking optimistically this trip!

Had great luck going after sockeye in the inlet with a dummy flasher on the ball, and then lines at 10' and 25'. Is it a good idea to use a dummy for the springs and coho around Bamfield too? We're coming out Saturday to stay at McKay Bay for a couple nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm heading up to McKay Bay on the 20th with my 2 sons.I would appreciate any info on locations that are producing,inshore and offshore.Best to use hardware or bait? We plan on some catch & release as we prefer to stay inshore if possible.Thanks

Fished friday Starting at diplock 6:30am.

bite picked up around 8:00 lots of shakers a few nice fish being landed but not hot fishing by any means…..
moved on to swale rock @11:00 for the 12:30 tide change….similar action as before….
i was not seeing too much bait in the area….

used mostly anchovies and mixed in the odd hootchie and spoon.

best lure was a armytruck teaser head with a purple haze flasher..

Fished Bamfield wall last Wednesday, fishing was slow to say the least. Picked a couple of pinks, a sockeye and a few shakers. All action using bait in a green glow teaser. Could find a combination of plastic that worked. Must have been 20+ boats and did see anyone playing any fish other the a few pinks which most released next to their boats. Sure hope the action heats up into September.

Fished out of the nook Monday- Thursday. Had lots of action for coho and springs. We had to release 6 springs over the 4 days as they were over 77cm. Probably would have lost them if we could have kept them (lol) there seemed to be a fair number of large fish in the area. Did not travel too far as fishing seemed to be the pretty much the same in all the normal haunts. Anchovies were the go to bait, but we started shorting up our leaders to 4 foot instead of the normal 6-8 foot, then ran coyote spoons on one side of the boat. We ended up with one Chinook just under 77 and 6 around 65 cm and 7 nice coho. Weather was good and met a great gang in the bunkhouse from the okanogan. Hopefully they are not threatened by the fires.

Bruce

Does anyone know what condition the road is in from Alberni to Bamfield? I'd be towing a 24' Robalo w/twin 150 Yamaha's. Better off running it out the canal? We're looking to camp at Pacheena on the long weekend. Thanks for any info!

Heading out to Bamfield this weekend was looking for some updated reports on where to go and what's working at what depth? Thxs.

Just finished 10 days in Bamfield with 2 groups of 4 buddies from Grande Prairie. First group caught limits of Springs to 26 pounds and Coho to 12 pounds. They were short 1 halibut and a couple of Ling cod. Second group limited out on Coho to 10 pounds and Halibut to 37 pounds, short 3 Springs due to bigger seas and chumming fishermen. Tried to catch the last 3 along the wall but had to turn everything we caught back due to being well over the 77 cm. The largest of 5 we threw back was 91 cm

Most fish caught outside on the bank, using 8" brown turd and the 6" Super Tackle (brown aurora) 40 inch leader. Coho on the same gear and also on Coho killers. Bait used along the wall.

week report
fishin big bank and Southbank are Great , turtle head and outer were excellent ,
areas that produced inshore , Nanant to ellis , meathole ,west flemming , swale , pill , harbor entrance ,
Effingham was a bust tuesday , very few fish
inside fishin was very good for those with shallower pockets and smaller rides , most came back to the dock with
plenty of fish , both coho and chinook , nanat to ellis was the place to be , anchovies and small spoons , 7 foot leaders
Reeltime and i had no prob getting our limits of Chinook , the ratio is around 5 to 1 for under 77cm , most fish are 3 year olds ,
so please dont think its a catch and release show , its not,,,,, get out here
we did get a few great shots of a few overs , no nets used ,
good feelin seein em swim for another day

fd

Heading up Monday to Saturday..staying at Seabeam house. Hope to have a great time fishing and seeing all the sights as usual.
Be on Chanel 6 , green and tan jetboat Renegade is the handle..

Picking up some anchovies for Bamfield for the coming week. What is the preference in size? Berrys has 5 1/4,5 1/2 or 6 inch. Gotta get them tomorrow and toss them in the brine do they are ready for Monday afternoon.
Thanks guys.

Back