2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just got back from a short three day tour. As already mentioned the lighthouse / wash rock area was full of coho. We were dragging white glow hootchies and spoons at various depths. Massive amounts of bait at around the 120' line off shore from the light. Long distance released a ton of coho. No chinooks for us outside. Tuesday morning we went off shore and landed a couple of Hali on spreader bars and salmon bellies. Tuesday night we came right inside and landed four springs in just under two hours near San Carlos pt. largest being 25. Chovies with teaser heads were the trick inside.

So funny story, I left Nanaimo this morning and after months of getting everything ready I thought I had it all covered. Turns out when I was passing Courtenay I screwed up. NO KNIFES. They are in the shop and not in my boat.

Is anyone coming up to Nootka in the next while?

I live one block off Northfiled if your coming via Departure Bay or my wife will meet you at the Northfield exit if you coming via Duke Pt.

Thanks in advance if you can help out.

Mike

So funny story, I left Nanaimo this morning and after months of getting everything ready I thought I had it all covered. Turns out when I was passing Courtenay I screwed up. NO KNIFES. They are in the shop and not in my boat.

Is anyone coming up to Nootka in the next while?

I live one block off Northfiled if your coming via Departure Bay or my wife will meet you at the Northfield exit if you coming via Duke Pt.

Thanks in advance if you can help out.

Mike
I got you beat, Codfather! I went up to Renfrew one time for a 4 day trip a few years ago and discovered I forgot my downriggers! Lucky for me I ran into a buddy who was finishing off his trip and he lent me his. It did earn me the nickname "No Riggers" for a few years.
T2

Just back from Nootka
Read codfathers report..it says it all..
Light house up to wash rock was the place to be..lots of bait around
We fish green or white hootchies and some anchovies from 55 to 75 ft down..rubber out fished bait..
Had so much fun we put up the kite...
Definitely will be going back again soon..

PPm sent to codfather on your knives..

Pss I left(forgot)the net behind this trip..never had so much fun trying to land fish..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
We are off to Nootka tomorrow so very excited. We will be staying at Nootka Rentals. Can't wait thanks very much everyone for the reports.

will report when we get back.

Richard

Saw you on Ryan Road this afternoon, SF552 - I had to close my window when you went past because of the fish smell!

I am heading out tomorrow, unplanned weekend trip, weather is too amazing not to go! Staying at Critter. If you see the Hourston stop by for a cold one.

25 sleeps to go. Its like waiting for Christmas without the cold.

Hopefully the hali fishing holds up.

Great weekend at Nootka, fished off the lighthouse and it was great. Got 7 keeper springs and released as many that were small keepers. Also caught a few coho, kept 2 for the Bbq and long line released the others. It really turned on today for us. Fished with plugs, hootchies and anchovies. All produced

Winds are DOWN Fishing is UP. Lots of Chinook & Coho Lighthouse to Maquinna
Ferrer, The Pins & Outer Black All also holding LOTS of Springs & Coho
The Hyw. is on FIRE. Pins Salmon & Hali. The "T" for Tyees
FOJ

July 2015 SCOTTY 006.jpgJuly 2015 SCOTTY 008.jpgJuly 2015 SCOTTY 008.jpg
2 resent photos--Bryan Nelson with a nice 25.5lb Spring Caught at Ferrer Pt Yesterday His group of 3 limited out on 16-25.5 Chinook in 2 hours on the incoming tide using anchovies. The Yellow Eye is a new Marina record for this year a 15.25lb Rockfish caught by Blair Davidson fishing at Tatchu Pt. His Group also picked up some nice Ling Cod. FOJ

Last edited by a moderator:
86b7dc89ca59e82094a3c867acdce051.jpg
Got back last night, went out with longdriveandy. Fished sat and Sunday
Saturday hit ferrer, magic rock. Gale warning in affect blowin 35-45, 2-3m. Managed to grab few springs and Coho. Anchovie and green white hootchie. Had to leave early, pounded over to inner black pu a few more
Sunday flew out early to friendy.... Every boat was there so moved to wash rock made couple passes and pulled out to ferrer. Again hootchie and bait in 30' water.
Ended up with couple good spring and some nice Coho. Good trip for time of year. The gale warning kinda sucked.

Back