2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

fished low tide this sfternoon. Saw orca on hump so headed to little q, no bait or marks. Headed back to hump, no bait, the odd mark 50-100 ft. Released one shaker caught on a pink/silver spoon and green oinion flasher from 70 ft. No other taps or hits.

Fished the little Q on the tide this morning got two springs (16 & 18) on chovies 42 feet released a couple undersize as well headed over to the humps just had a handful of shakers between 120-140. DFO was at the ramp checking everyone over again today too.

Two coho this morning, one wild, one hatchery. Wild was 4 # and the hatchery was legal by a couple of inches, nice size for the BQ. Both caught deep (200') on hootchies, mostly pink with some black and white.
Word has it that army truck hootchies are working. I tried purple haze, turd, white with pink but didn't work today. Also tried green/white spoon and white irredescent to no avail. On my shallow side I caught nothing (50'-120').
Nice to know the coho's we be here in force soon - hopefullly.

Fished high tide this morning. Calm forcast required main engine to troll because it was a little rough so stayed at hump instead of heading to little q as planned. Good number of bait balls with a small number of random marks. Landed a beautiful 11 lb wild coho from 119 ft. Chartreuse brined anchovy in teaser head with jellyfish glow flasher was the ticket.

I skipped out of work a few hours early as it was spectular weather which is more then I can say for the fishing. Many small coho, you know the ones, too small to pull off the clip but maybe just enough to think there might be something on the line, caught on army truck hootchie at 120'. Finally I switched to spoons, army truck on one side chrome and green on the other for my trip back to the marina. I was in 360' of water and fishing around 120' and managed to land a nice personal size 3 pounder on the chrome and green. After thoroughly tangling my lines together I called it quits. Beauty of a day all and all.

Fished high tide on hump. Lost count of number of shakers caught .....any flasher, any spoon, any depth, any speed. Landed a 10 lb wild coho from 66 ft using purple onion glow flasher and wonder bread spoon. Lost a couple off the clip - gone. Lost a couple smaller bur keeper size coho by the boat. Saw two orca heading north and later 4 heading south. Also saw a guy with alta plates back his truck into the chuck up past the back wheels to launch his boat!

Got a nice 8lb wild coho on the hump at 180ft with anchovie. Tried the LQ and got a hit putting the gear down but that was it, lots of shakers.

Haven't posted in a while and wish I had more to report. Went down to Schooner cove for gas and filled up and $133.9/litre and I thought it was a bit high cause I just got fuel at FC last week. Any way called FC this morning and it's $1.19/ litre. FYI Trolled from Gerald to spar buoy then over to Ballenas. Quite a bit of bait starting to show in both places. Bushy, the net man managed a nice hatchery coho and we both releases several small ones all coho. Sea lions have arrived in Northwest bay.................BRS

Haven't posted in a while and wish I had more to report. Went down to Schooner cove for gas and filled up and $133.9/litre and I thought it was a bit high cause I just got fuel at FC last week. Any way called FC this morning and it's $1.19/ litre. FYI Trolled from Gerald to spar buoy then over to Ballenas. Quite a bit of bait starting to show in both places. Bushy, the net man managed a nice hatchery coho and we both releases several small ones all coho. Sea lions have arrived in Northwest bay.................BRS

Great to see you are getting out Greg. Give me a call when you have a minute

Fished low tide on hump. Very little bait and few random marks. Released one shaker caught bringing white/green glow spoon with green onion glow flasher up. One other good hit on pink coho killer and silver kite flasher from 66 ft. Good lunch and boat ride otherwise.

Fished high slack tonight inside of the humps...couple shakers and that was it, one on a green splatterback and the other on a blue and silver coyote, saw very little bait but was still a beauty evening on the water!

Managed a nice coho on the high afternoon slack. 120' in front of marina. Unclipped so released, only to find out later regs were changed to one clipped and one unclipped. Best night on the water for a long time.

It was a beautiful day for fishing although I didn't find the action that great. Several undersize coho's on spoons, one small keeper. It was a tad windy but of course settled down on my way back. I seen a few guys fishing the bay in front of the French Creek cottages, not sure if they caught anything. One of the marina employess said someone pulled a 20# spring out of there on light tackle. That would had been a blast. I cruised in fairly close to shore but never showed any fish, I did see some bait though.
It's going to be a great week for fishing - I hope.

Out yesterday off F.C.

1 6lb. wild Coho on the spoon and flasher in pic below.

2:45 p.m.-----------70 ft of water in 170ft of water.

Also had a big hit on the Brad blue mini cutplug as I lowered gear........guess it was about 40ft....fish got off though....

Most markings on the finder were 20ft to 80ft...with the occasional deeper one.....

Patchy ...quite a few fish in some spots, others nothing.

Most fish I saw were in the gully between the "197 ft " hump and White door..the gully being where the water gets about 300ft deep between the hump and White door.

But those fish were still only 20 to 80 ft deep basically.

Slow day otherwise......

~

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 399
Last edited by a moderator:
Out yesterday off F.C.

1 6lb. wild Coho on the spoon and flasher in pic below.

2:45 p.m.-----------70 ft of water in 170ft of water.

Also had a big hit on the Brad blue mini cutplug as I lowered gear........guess it was about 40ft....fish got off though....

Most markings on the finder were 20ft to 80ft...with the occasional deeper one.....

Patchy ...quite a few fish in some spots, others nothing.

Most fish I saw were in the gully between the "197 ft " hump and White door..the gully being where the water gets about 300ft deep between the hump and White door.

But those fish were still only 20 to 80 ft deep basically.

Slow day otherwise......

~

Geat report thanks for sharing

Fished low tide on hump alias shakerville! Very few bait marks with many random marks at all depths. Any flasher/lure/depth/speed couldn't get rid of the shakers. Released 25 or so.

Hey all - i'm new to the forum, but have been reading comments for the last few weeks. I'm primarily a fly fisher and intend on scouring the beaches of ECVI for the next in search of coho. However, we do have a 10 ft tinny with a 8hp that we can launch once our arms/wrists get tired. We are thinking of trolling chovies on slip weights or banana weights and possibly buck-tailing. I've noticed that guys are hitting fish on various spoons and hootchies, where as the Vancouver guys are mostly using teasers and chovies. Is this just differences in fishing trend or is there different food sources on this side? Is the "hump" a decent place to go? or are we crazy and totally going to die because "only idiots take a 10ft tinny and 8 hp out there"!

We also plan on hitting up the local shops for safety tips and fishing reports as well but any pointers on where to start will be appreciated.

tight lines

HB

Back