2015 Tuna Adventures

While we were trolling we noticed the schools or patches of fish were getting larger with more bird activity. With some meat in the boat for my buddy Steve we ended the troll fest and put the troll gear away. We got the bait and jig gear ready again and zoned in on the birds. We tried a few stops with the first one or two resulting in one on each stop with not many sticking around to check us out. The last one was different. We didn't really do anything different except there was two patches of fish and we went right between them. Chucked out the chovies and dropped the gear. Jay hooked up right away.

Jay with one on.

I have a short video of Jay playing this fish and will post it up soon.

Side note: We really got the sounder tuned in to pick up the tuna under the boat.

Aerial shot of the deck. It was really cool to be catching fish with the boat still and no engine noise.

I have a really cool video of Steve playing a fish from take to finish. Photobucket is taking forever to process it. I will post it up when I can.

Bait and jig caught tuna.

We picked up a few on this stop and lost one or two with quite a few fish sticking around for the party. I'd say it lasted around 25 minutes before we couldn't see any more tuna under the boat. Steve kept seeing them come out and check out his jig but just swim by. This stop worked and was definitely a highlight of the trip for all of us. This type of fishing will take a lot of experimenting and trying stuff to fine tune it. That is all part of the fun :).

Thanks for the good times Jay. Fishing out of Tofino for these addicting fish is always a blast and it very well could be the tuna fishing capitol of Vancouver Island. The ride in was ultra plush and we were able to cruise nicely home. 16 hour day on the water! After dropping Jay off we had a long drive back to da beach to park my gal and transfer fish etc. We were absolutely exhausted and I was seeing tuna birds flying across the logging road lol. We made it and crashed hard for the night. Jake and I got the Sculpin all cleaned up and headed home this morning.

Now if someone would only set up a live bait operation.............:p.

Till next time.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Wicked post man....Its interesting the color of water in your pic looking down with rods is just like Hawaii. I know you always say blue water but its just weird how that can be near our island. Looks like awesome day and no work!

One must not speak of the cherry popping until said cherry is popped , Goodluck , hope it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sculpin you continue to impress, great read. Excellent post again, im still a virgin from a BC tuna perspective. One of these days. Good job.

HM

Not likely with the current weather report

We've got 8 days booked in WH, so hopefully the weather smartens up in that time. If anyone is going to be up that way and interested in going out, let me know. Sounds like we've got a couple boats already but the more the merrier. Will be in WH from Sept 4th - 13th.

Dave

As always, excellent post Sculpin. I hope to get some good weather between this Thursday and Sunday, so I can take a shot at them. Got a bunch more tuna gear when I went to PN&T, rigged up enough gear for the troll, but will be ready to toss the iron & swim baits.
When you are on the troll, do you rig multiple zukers/squid baits? I rigged up a bunch of those to run behind the birdies, but not sure if singles are better?
I plan on running 2 hand lines around 60', 3 back at 85' and 2 back at 115 to start with, then play around from there.

Wow those are long hand lines. Run two short hand lines off the tips of your down riggers about 35 feet(to the hook) long and then off your stern cleats run a hand line at about 75 feet(side by side). Run your hooks off your rods behind that.

Finally figured out youtube lol.

This one was camera shy :p. Notice how quiet and calm it is with boat just drifting and the motor off........nice:)!

[r8BXnd7Fl1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8BXnd7Fl1s

Here is one of Steve's fish from hook up to finish. Gotta learn to short pump them to keep them from doing the death spiral. Fishtofino and I learned this on the Pacific Dream using live bait. You really have to work em and try to keep them pointed in one direction. Notice Jay keeping up with the chovies :cool:.

[XQyFNdq2fjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQyFNdq2fjg

I still wanna know what Jay thinks :). He kinda of got cut off there lol :D.

Pound for pound these are some of the hardest pulling fish for their size. It's like a 50 lb halibut going balastic lol!!!

lol I can't recall what I was thinking. I think a lot when fishing.

Cool video thanks for taking the time to do that. Its nice how on that down wind side of the boat it is a bit glassy. I can see now how Steve and Jake were seeing the fish and I wasn't. Glad we tried the para anchor. I will be doing some modifications to make that thing easier to fish around. Longer rope and no retrieval line. Just drive the boat to it and grab it when you are done. If the rope is way longer it will be well out of the way. Id like to think that last school was staying around for we were doing something right. Hard to tell but that last stop with the para anchor delivery and all certainly worked out. Fish are picky even when they are on the bite. A very rewarding challenge tho.

My daughter is an Engineering student. This past winter she took one of her fellow students, Jeff, to Long Beach since he had never been to the west coast before.
Jeff is from Calgary. This summer, Jeff got a job on a commercial tuna boat - what a shock that must have been!
With his permission, I am posting a link to the summary of one of his days aboard.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=<wbr>yIXzcWtvncs
Enjoy!

My daughter is an Engineering student. This past winter she took one of her fellow students, Jeff, to Long Beach since he had never been to the west coast before.
Jeff is from Calgary. This summer, Jeff got a job on a commercial tuna boat - what a shock that must have been!
With his permission, I am posting a link to the summary of one of his days aboard.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=<wbr>yIXzcWtvncs
Enjoy!

That was a GREAT video. Thank you for posting! So cool

Back