2015 Gulf Islands Reports

"Please excuse me, but I don't know where the Narrows are"

preety sure vanislehunter means "Sampson narrows".

Yes, I meant Sansum Narrows. Between Maple Bay and Cowichan Bay. I think most fish were caught going with or across the current. Trying to go against it we weren't actually covering any ground. All depths of water had fish in them.

Yes, I meant Sansum Narrows. Between Maple Bay and Cowichan Bay. I think most fish were caught going with or across the current. Trying to go against it we weren't actually covering any ground. All depths of water had fish in them.

Thanks for getting back to me. That's a long haul for me... I'm coming from Ladner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

special thanks to our guide Greg from Bon Chovy who took us out to entrance island yesterday where we managed to get 7 nice chinook to the boat. productive depth was about 200ft, white hoochie was the ticket. got bites about 1 per hour. water was flat all day, all the way across. exceptional day!

Quick little update for you guys heading out this weekend as I spent 3 mornings out at Porlier this past week.

Tuesday: Got out about 9:00am. 1 or 2 other boats out there. First fish on the line the line before I even had the second rod down. Pulled it in, with a decent fight and a couple of runs, nice approx 15# spring. Thought it was going to be one of those days, and I only needed a single fish for dinner, so I released it. Not another sniff for 2 hours, finally had a hit around 11am. Again, a decent fight, landed it, 16#, dinner was delicious. Both caught on the same rod, 1st one about 90' in 100' of water, second one out a little deeper at about 130' in 140' of water. Both were on a green glow Pesca 3.5" spoon with a green glow flasher. Seas were fairly calm, although there was a pretty mean current which meant trolling was a little difficult. Both were caught going against the current.

Wed: Had a conference call I needed to get back for , so headed out early, got there about 6:30am, stayed to about 8:30am. No luck, not even a bite.

Thursday: Got out around 10am and stayed till 2pm. Again, pretty slow, saw a few bait balls around 60', but couldn't manage to get a single hit. Had a few dogfish though. Tried everything between 60' and 180', with multiple spoons, a few different coloured flashers, and even tried a hoochie on one rod for about an hour. Oh well, still an amazing few days on the water. Had a pretty nice Killer Whale pass by. Best of luck this weekend. The fish are out there, just depends on the day and your patience.

GOPR0311.jpg
Cheers,
Woz

Moby's fishing derby result:

Largest Salmon was Bob Morrisette on Russ Spenser’s boat, “The Sure Thing”.
The 23lb 8oz Spring was caught on surface line at Collinson Point by Active Pass.

Congrats to Bob & Russ! Russ Spencer runs a charter on SSI, have fished w him before, good guy!

Collision Pt from 1pm til 3:30pm.
2 for 3 on salmon... Released 2 pinks. 3rd bite looked best but didn't stick. 3 released rockfish.
Flasher and spoon hit everything, not a sniff on the anchovy side and it was rolling sweet.
2 pods of killer whales came through as well, with 5 whale watching boats in tow. Of course.

Collinson Pt 2:30pm til 5pm
3 pinks on a spackleback spoon and green glow flasher.
Nothing on the cuttlefish hootchy.
Hope a chinook bites soon! 4 days of holiday left :)

Collinson Pt 5-8am, 4 pinks on a spoon. Nothing on the anchovy.
Moved to Salamanca for 8:30ish, a bit off shore where the birds were diving and released a barely undersized chinook on the first line down. Hit 5 more chinook until 11am, but they got progressively smaller. Fun, but sadly nothing BBQ size. Couple of dogfish and a sole too.

We fished with cut plug and strip off Thrasher yesterday and didn't get a bite. Marked lots of fish up high around 40-80 ft...maybe Cohos? We started getting bites when we changed to spoons but only small ones. Finally we managed 2 nice ones around 18 lbs.
20150707_173236.jpg
20150707_182714.jpg

Fished dawn slack tide at Helen Pt into Active Pass on the old commercial tack from 5am-6ish and hit 5 right off the bat. Dogfish that is :( Wasted most of the slack getting them off, they even hit the spoon.
Fished collinson pt after and got the odd pink until there was quite a few pinks biting around 8ish. Finally got a small spring, and then saw another one about 15 lbs shake the hook at the boat. Then there was nothing from 9-10am except a rockfish and a pink. That's it for us over here, see you next year :)

Fished Collision Point Wednesday evening for 30 minutes (dropped off family at ferry terminal)... hit coho and a pink on a clear Jughead using anchovies and a in-line Gibbs yellow 'flasher'. On the other side of the boat I was skunked (albeit in 30 minutes) using a green flasher and white UV hoochy. There were pinks jumping all the way from Active Pass to Porlier Pass. Weather permitting I will try Porlier this weekend.

Fished dawn slack tide at Helen Pt into Active Pass on the old commercial tack from 5am-6ish and hit 5 right off the bat. Dogfish that is :( Wasted most of the slack getting them off, they even hit the spoon.
Fished collinson pt after and got the odd pink until there was quite a few pinks biting around 8ish. Finally got a small spring, and then saw another one about 15 lbs shake the hook at the boat. Then there was nothing from 9-10am except a rockfish and a pink. That's it for us over here, see you next year :)

6 pinks in the boat from the bluffs, now off of fairfax for a couple of springs, testing my new islander, so far only a foul hooked dog...

Sent from a PayPhone

Back