Sooke2015

Fished otter from 6:45-4:00, yes we covered a bit of water. Managed to hit a pink in the first 10 minutes and then a few more and 1 wild coho all by 11:00 ish. The the bites were few and far between after that. Had 1 smaller spring on for a few minutes, shook his head and away he went. Fished from 44'- 125'.

Saw a few teenagers landed, but not many. Here's hoping that Sunday is a little better.

After about a week break from the boat we got out today and the fishing off Sooke continues to be very good. Played a bunch of Chinook caught on both plastic and Anchovy. The big 24lb white was on plastic as was the nice hatch. Ho. The other Chinook were on Anchovy as were the two badly hooked Pinks we kept. 70 feet was the hot depth for us today.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 717
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 719
Fished night bite at possession. One small 8lb spring and that's it. Hoping the bite is better tomorrow.

Slower today for sure...hit 4 springs and only landed 1 of them. Fishing from Muir to Point No Point and put in 10 hours. Nice day, hot and calm but not much action compared to a few days ago.

Slower today for sure...hit 4 springs and only landed 1 of them. Fishing from Muir to Point No Point and put in 10 hours. Nice day, hot and calm but not much action compared to a few days ago.
Lol... I beat ya.

Not too many times a guy can say that so I had to.

Our best one came about 10 minutes after you pulled the plug at 3rd rock

Fished the last three days . First Thursday morning 6:00 to 11:00 am. with one of my son's 14 years old he caught a #22 in about ten minutes then a #10 and two hatch coho, and 4 pinks for a day, at the Trap shack.

Friday morning at 5:00 am. after reading Rollies report about the night bite Thursday we went back to bed. We went out at 11:00 am to 5 had to leave too early the bite was just coming on end up with about #12 and a nice coho at Otter .

Saturday went out with my other son he is 14 as well fished 2:00 - 7:30 pm. bite came on at 4:00 and went 4 for 7 all teeners with the big two pushing #20 , out at Otter again . Great day on the water, wow haven't seen spring fishing like that in a long time .

Rockfish - that 24 is a football! Quite the paddle on that one :cool:

After about a week break from the boat we got out today and the fishing off Sooke continues to be very good. Played a bunch of Chinook caught on both plastic and Anchovy. The big 24lb white was on plastic as was the nice hatch. Ho. The other Chinook were on Anchovy as were the two badly hooked Pinks we kept. 70 feet was the hot depth for us today.

What Frayed said.. It went off at Otter between 3-6.. None stop action. At one point i saw 4-5 nets between 2nd and 3rd rock.. 25# was largest for us and let a bunch of teeners go..

Hey Lippy, unless I'm loosing it..... I wasn't anywhere near 3rd rock yesterday. I started at the light, trolled up to PNP right away and ended up at Muir when I pulled the plug at noon. 2nd trip went to Muir and trolled up to the light and finished there at 5pm.

went out yesterday morning with a few buddies and Dave from Ocean Dreams and went 2 for 4 and 3 wild coho. we landed a 32lbs and 20lbs. not sure of the exact spots of where these were caught. But had a blast catching my first ocean caught tyee

20150822_115140-01.jpg

20150822_115035-01.jpg

if interested, I have a few more pics posted here

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished the Pink Festival today with a couple kids, good fun. I'm impressed that each kid was given some starter freshwater gear to go home with and by all the sponsorship by local businesses. Volunteers did a bang up job and skippers were shown great appreciation (draw prizes for the skippers were generous, I ended up with a new Peetz reel). But the pinks were few in number and someone should have told them to stick around for another week or two. We only had one pink bite and fortunately we landed it. Also landed a chinook but that was a tad too difficult for the young guy to do all by himself. Released lots of shakers.

went out yesterday morning with a few buddies and Dave from Ocean Dreams and went 2 for 4 and 3 wild coho. we landed a 32lbs and 20lbs. not sure of the exact spots of where these were caught. But had a blast catching my first ocean caught tyee

View attachment 19764

View attachment 19763

if interested, I have a few more pics posted here

Enjoyed looking at your facebook pics. Looks like a great trip!

Skippered 3 kids as well today and couldn't find a pink for them. Found them springs alright though and surprisingly we landed 2 of 3 nice springs up to about 17#. Was a struggle for the kids though and some sore fingers for sure. Hadn't explained them how to play a big spring as I didn't expect any where we were and on what we used. First time I heard me saying "can't keep those damn springs off to catch a nice pink!" lol

Fished Saturday afternoon with my family.
Passed Otter at 1:30 and too many boats for me so dropped in at Muir and trolled to Sheringham.
Figured 2:00 bite at the light. Just as we approached we picked up a 14lb spring. Bit of a bite came on and we saw half dozen caught but no more for us and the bite did not last long. Left at 4:30.
Successful trip in my mind though. Got the wife out for only the second time since we met 15 years ago.
She brought in the Spring and had fun with it.
Beautiful calm day.

Fished Sunday Morning from Head to Trap. Tons of boats and nothing happening. Ran down to Possession and tried there for an hour or so. Caught 3 pinks and lost 1 small spring. Trolled all the way back and finally caught a 12lb spring at the Head just before we pulled gear at 11:45.
I did not see a net out all morning!

I then picked up the photographer for Pink Salmon Festival and ran around to get some photos. Wind had picked up and it was pretty choppy.
This kept a lot of the Skippers with smaller boats from getting out to where they needed to.
Interesting that pinks were hard to find but more than one boat way out had picked up Springs on pink gear instead.
Most important thing was EVERY Kid was smiling and enjoying there day on the water!

Tips

Last edited by a moderator:
After two weekends ago, I couldn't wait to get on the water this past weekend, what a difference a few days make...dam fish.

Yesterday i started at 6:15am & spent the fist 45 minutes at Secretary with no action with myself or any boats around so i trolled over to the Trap. I did several loops there to find out that the fish weren't there either. I was there for about 45 minutes as well and with the plethora of boats around, the only action were the folks checking their lines. I never saw one fish being caught. I trolled back over to Secretary and within a few minutes I landed a small pink. I stuck it out for another 1/2 hour and started to move on. I decided to head in the direction of Otter. I trolled the flats, along the bluffs, and then in front of the crab buoys. I had 1 hit on the flats, smaller spring (so it felt) but it spit the hook within a few seconds. Finally arriving at Otter at about 12:30ish, I checked my bait just before the 1st rock and while I was pulling line to attach it on the down-rigger, a wild coho pounced on it. I was at Otter until about 2:30 with no bites, but I did see a couple fish being caught (teenagers) I decided at pack it in, it was getting a little choppy and i needed to head out. Apparently if i stuck it out for another 1/2 hour, Fins - n - Skins said it went off at 3. Bloody fish!!

We were out today in the chop from 10:30-1:30. Landed a 12lb white Spring on a chovie at 69 right next to Church Rock. Looking forward to calmer days the rest of the week.

there is fish there it seems we are back to lil pockets of them just have to find em been able to get the fish last couple of days and coho seems to be showing up now which is good...(no news for a sept 1 opening though like last year) landed 4 hatch cocho yesterday one was close to 10 lbs.
springs are definatlly getting a bit darker now with some fresh looking ones in the mix. 2 whites for us yesterday mid teeners....

good luck wolf

Fished last Thursday Otter point 2 hours had a 25lb white and 15 lb red springs. 41ft and 53 ft., fished the Friday night 20lb spring red and darker and my fishing partner lost a nice one. We fished the head for 3 hours, fish was caught at 51ft. We fished Saturday for 8.5 hours, beechy head nothing and then Otter and Muir for the last 6 hours and never had a spring. We left at 2pm and supposedly there was an incredible bite from 3-6pm. Oh well should have stuck it out.

Hit up Secretary this morning. Bite was on from 10:30-11:30, as we landed 3 hatch coho, 1 pink, lost a 15-20 lb Spring near the boat, oh and snagged a poor diving bird which we were able to real ease without injury. What a nice day on the water compared to yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back