Sooke2015

We caught pinks all the way down to 150 on Sitka spoon. Did get a high teen red spring and played some nice coho.
Nice humpback show to go with the 300 humpies!
GnB

That's been happening to me 150 to 170 down and still there...although it's not uncommon to get springs that depth....I had two recently that were running greater than 150ft down... Found them when trying to dodge pinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made the run from the lower mainland down to Sooke today. Other than some light 1 foot chop crossing the straight and in Sidney passage it was calm the whole way.

I did manage a couple hatchery coho but they were only a couple pounds so were let go. I couldn't seem to get away from the pinks though. What's the secret to getting springs? Depth?

Made the run from the lower mainland down to Sooke today. Other than some light 1 foot chop crossing the straight and in Sidney passage it was calm the whole way.

I did manage a couple hatchery coho but they were only a couple pounds so were let go. I couldn't seem to get away from the pinks though. What's the secret to getting springs? Depth?

There is no secret to avoiding the Pinks that I have found...we have found deeper...120 - 180', is generally no better!
just have to fight thru them...ugh...no fun, but we got a couple of springs in the teens off Church Rock today...wow...what a pile of boats...seems some just love fishing Pinks

Ditto on the pink storm. I try not to let too many go, I dont think they do too well with their face ripped in half when I let them go. but I'm happy to let them shake off.
Managed to nail a couple decent springs at 40-ish feet one around 26 one around 30, and went home with a box full of pinks to can for winter.

the springs smoked up awesome!

Managed a small 7 or 8 pound spring this morning. Did get a bit tired of battling the pinks though.

No real secret to springs in sooke. It is a challenging fishery though- given some true attention to detail and a bit of time on the water sooke will produce exceptional spring fishing. Haphazard attempts will most definitely garner skunkings. It's a tough place to learn when the pinks are so thick tho.

HOLY pinks yesterday was in the rangers derby with buds had a blast made a boat breaky with homemade bacon and chorizo sausages adnd farm eggs managed one decent fish in the teens as it was TOUGH with all the pinks everywhere ...

Today totally different day one just under 27,19.5 and a pair of 16.5 lbers and an under and a limit of pinks all done before 10 today great guys....

wish it was like this for the derby one day late ....

Attachments

• image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 677
out yesterday aft. didnt get into any pinks but the same type of action with chinooks up to 65cm west of otter. Nogs needle fish outfished bait so switched out bait for a few things like plugs. didnt get any hits. tried a xl jughead with a squid. bam bam bam.

JL

Was out Saturday near Sheringham then Secretary later on. Pinks everyone, like everyone is reporting. Every depth, every lure, Pinks. No Chinook for us. Saw one nice one boated around 9am at the lighthouse and another guy with one on at the same spot a little bit later.

1 spring today 19 lbs and LOTS of pinks didnt see much as fog was a lil thick .
off for a week now heading for a lil vacation

good luck to you fishers

It used to be El Nino's were know for producing Mac Attacks. This summer is it Pink Attack....man what a crappy day...7 trays of bait gone today and never stopped rigging bait, lures and couldn't keep the dam things off long enough to give a spring a chance. Managed one spring early and lost another to the boat, both early. Got the first 2 passes in at the light and had 4-5 small springs hit the gear plus the one we kept then pinks like I've never seen before. I know we had 5o plus on and up to the boat. Also released 3 sockeye.

Did anyone else notice that there was some really large bait in the bellies of the springs? I would say some of them were 7-7.5 inches!

I have been using the 12 pack, but wondering if I should play with the 8 packs... Hmmm.

I was out on Saturday fishing Otter Point and picked up an 18lb first thing and then shortly after released one of similar size. Then when the flood tide arrived so did the Pinks, went through 3 packs of bait quickly, without another hit from a Spring. Overall I have had 2 or more Springs now for 4 straight trips, most of them caught first thing in the morning , 50 to 70 ft deep, and all of them were taken on large anchovies. That said, I have only fished mornings, has anyone had good fishing in the evenings?

NO Rayvon not going fishing but heading to Miami for the ICAST convention fish are safe for a few days LOL
Paul from trotac and I are going

Fished from 6:00am until 10:30am today. Trolled the Bluffs, Harbour Mouth and one pass of Possession.

My wife likes a pink hootchie down on one side to pick up some pinks while I persevere with anchovy, which only get pinks anyway it seems. Ironically, once again, at 50’ off the Bluffs, she hits a 12lb Chinook on this little pink hootch. This is the third time this pink lure has out fished anchovies this season. I guess I still don’t have the roll right. At least this season I don’t!! LOL;):)

Oh yeah, there was a CO at Sunny Shores around 11:30am, inspecting catches. First one I have seen there in 6 years of launching from that spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back