Sooke2015

Beautiful day on the water, flat calm, hot, no fog and no whales or seals from 6-noon this morning. 3 out of 4 springs in the boat, 30, 20 and 10 pounds, lost a 15 at the net.

Yes definitely a few fish to be had and don't need to go too far away crew today got 5 to take home 18 being biggest and 15,15,13,10. and a sockeye i tossed back and a few other bigger ones lost.
whales again came by about 11 ish head WEST again??? hhmmm
One thing thats good is the jelly fish seems to have subsided a bit have to see what the next set of really slack tides bring us i guess...

And again that sitka spoon came thru with a 15 lber this day... love this new spoon...

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 38457.jpg
    38457.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,214
Fished 9am-3pm out west and caught a good number of pinks (mostly released), a spastic sockeye (released), about a 7lb scrappy coho (released), a couple small chinook (released) and a ~8lb and 12.8lb chinook (retained). And I performed a really really really poor net job and released the largest chinook of the day. Fished mostly from 30-90 feet depth and caught fish so we didn't really try deeper, even though we were out in 400ft of water at one point. A couple medium sized herring found in the chinook stomachs.

The water was notably clearer than it was last weekend and very few jellies to foul the lines.

Used that Sitka spoon finally and it produced as well as the bait, hoochie, and other spoon we used. I'm glad there is an alternative to those flimsy coho killers. I ruined one coho killer on the weekend and the only fish that chewed on it were the soft mouthed pinks.

Long day from 7-2, covered a lot of territory from Beechy hd to Whirl Bay with little action early. Ended up with 3 pinks and 2 springs all from Becher Bay in front of Frasier Island again. That seems to be my lucky hot spot last 3 trips. Springs were 14 & 10lb. Hot lure today was Purple Haze squirt with green mylar insert at 90'. The biggest pink was a humpy and was a feisty bugger swimming circles around the boat. Finally went under the front of the boat and wrapped itself around a downrigger cable on the other side after about 5 minutes but still got him.

Fished head-trap Sunday , fished 530-1230
3 rods 30, 60,70 pink hoochy on top chovies on others
8 & 9 lb springs
18 pinks to the boat
Lost 15 or so was an awesome day on the water entertaining to say the least. And got some fish for the smoker can't belive how early the pinks r in if targeting the pinks little further out seemed to be a good bet and later in the day out on the tideline u couldn't miss! One pink had to be 8 pounds was huge

Fished from 6:30am until 3:30 pm today so put in a bit of a marathon! It was just too beautiful a day here in the “tropics of BC” to come in.

Covered a lot of ground. Went past the Bluffs with the ebb first down to trailer park and then came all the way back to Secretary and then out to 350’ of water. We had only one pink to show by then so we went looking for more pinks out there. Didn’t find any so came into Trap. As we did a very strange line of very choppy whitecaps swept by and then it all went calm again. Don’t know where they came from unless a big boat in the shipping lanes??

Carried on down to Beechy and Aldridge. Lots of boats but everyone seemed to be catching pinks. We added couple of more those to our tally. Finally at 2:45 pm, close to high tide, trolling back in the Trap area got a nice hit on anchovy at 77' and boated a 12lb Chinook. So I guess patience was finally rewarded, partially at least.

So in last three trips have managed four elusive summer chinooks! :)Nothing big, but great to get something for the freezer or bar-b-q. Smokin’ pinks at the week-end!

Pointed the bow into the flood tide today off Otter and caught lots of pinks. That's it. Only fished artificial lures, no bait.

Been 4 years since I have spent any time fishing the Sooke area, I usually fish between Bamfield and Tofino, and while the quantity may not be there, so far the quality has been.

Picked up a 27lbs and 7 lbs on Sunday off the Trap Shack and today I picked up a 34lbs of other and 12lbs of Sheringham. Definitely nice to be fishing close to home.
Tyee_34_OtterPoint2.jpg34Sooke2015-2.jpg

Attachments

• SookeFishing2015.jpg
    SookeFishing2015.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 772
That's a heck of a fish jriptide. Not a lot of those swimming those waters any more.

Been 4 years since I have spent any time fishing the Sooke area, I usually fish between Bamfield and Tofino, and while the quantity may not be there, so far the quality has been.

Picked up a 27lbs and 7 lbs on Sunday off the Trap Shack and today I picked up a 34lbs of other and 12lbs of Sheringham. Definitely nice to be fishing close to home.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Wow Jrip! I am in my 6th summer of fishing Sooke and I have never had a fish over 25lbs and you get two that beat that in two successive trips!!

I am in total awe and bow before your fishing knowledge and skill to achieve this feat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Jrip! I am in my 6th summer of fishing Sooke and I have never had a fish over 25lbs and you get two that beat that in two successive trips!!

I am in total awe and bow before your fishing knowledge and skill to achieve this feat.

Right place at the right time Roland. You've progressed quite well too bud. Can't happen over night.

Right place at the right time Roland. You've progressed quite well too bud. Can't happen over night.

I will be the first to say its all luck, in three trips I have only caught 4 Springs, but two happened to be big ones.

my friends and I started troll past Beechy Head all the way to O Brien Point this early morning, non stop action of pinks...fortunately, my friend nailed a 22 pound spring at 6ish am on a bait. We continued to be busy to release a coho and lost a few pinks.We trolled all the way to Alridge Point at late morning, got a strike, I reeled in a nice white spring at 16 pound!! impressive fishing ever! me on right side (fishspoon)

Attachments

• 11140389_10152857444471651_5786159093477696439_n.jpg
    11140389_10152857444471651_5786159093477696439_n.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 934
Was out today from 6-2. I went east for a change went to the head to trap/back... It was slow in that area for chinook today..I personally didn't see any caught when I was out there...Lots of pinks... Wasn't awesome to fish debris city... Crap in the water was pretty annoying and that jellyfish crap is back. Not to mention I hope that not that algae I saw today..Purple streaks in water?

I picked up small spring in maybe 10 lb range I let go...But one thing extremely weird happened..Was setting gear..Bam rod goes off starts peeling out line...Figure we had spring on.. Does two more runs..Get it too boat and just before I net its a big wild coho?? Like fall size... We got 5 more..The two hatchery were normal size this time of year.. The other three were pushing over 10..Wherever those are going they are going to be absolute monsters in fall. We loaded up on pinks/coho and came in...

Fished 1-5pm out of the harbour mouth. Took a while for the weeds to flush out and for us to find an area we were able to fish without fouling the lines too much, and to get far enough away from the drilling on Possession point to not be bothered by it.

I gave Durabait a good try today and it was effective on the pinks. It seemed to hold up well to the wear and tear and it is still in good shape to fish tomorrow. It seems to be less susceptible to losing it's shape and roll after being hit than bait. But, no chinook came in on it.

The only chinook of the day was 18.8lbs after being bled out. We had the Sitka spoon on one side and a green coyote on the other, and the chinook chose the coyote. Although, at one point something hit the Sitka hard enough to bend it out of shape.

Was out today from 6-2. I went east for a change went to the head to trap/back... It was slow in that area for chinook today..I personally didn't see any caught when I was out there...Lots of pinks... Wasn't awesome to fish debris city... Crap in the water was pretty annoying and that jellyfish crap is back. Not to mention I hope that not that algae I saw today..Purple streaks in water?

I picked up small spring in maybe 10 lb range I let go...But one thing extremely weird happened..Was setting gear..Bam rod goes off starts peeling out line...Figure we had spring on.. Does two more runs..Get it too boat and just before I net its a big wild coho?? Like fall size... We got 5 more..The two hatchery were normal size this time of year.. The other three were pushing over 10..Wherever those are going they are going to be absolute monsters in fall. We loaded up on pinks/coho and came in...

I too hooked a decent wild coho at sherringham on thurs. He took it off the rigger on the way down.

JL

We had lot of fun today! the 22 lbs spring was really good fight and long run. At about 930 am my buddy got a nice16 lbs spring. one red and one white.

my friends and I started troll past Beechy Head all the way to O Brien Point this early morning, non stop action of pinks...fortunately, my friend nailed a 22 pound spring at 6ish am on a bait. We continued to be busy to release a coho and lost a few pinks.We trolled all the way to Alridge Point at late morning, got a strike, I reeled in a nice white spring at 16 pound!! impressive fishing ever! me on right side (fishspoon)

Roland you also been getting springs fairly regularly now. You have to take all these reports with grain is salt..Not everyone goes out and nails fish every day..I know lots of guys that are extremely good that dont get big fish every trip. Maybe I am different I dont tell story about it. Your going to have slow days and your going to have good days. But that is fishing. BTW We deep sixed my son's rod and reel yesterday..Anyone that find a small shimano level wind with blue mono filament/ with a silver TDR rod please let me know..I assumed its lost. The price of kid pink fishing...:p

I agree "J" but I was totally impressed by those two fish. Like you say there are good and not so good days but Sooke is not like Haida Gwai or the West Coast. Which makes those two fish even more remarkable.

Sorry to hear you lost a rod. I have seen a few reports of rod/reels over the side on other threads this year. I have lanyards attaching all my active fishing rods to the boat. Some guys think I am a total burke for doing that, but I know one thing, I have never lost a rod over the side and never will!!

Took the kids out fishing for pinks from 8-11. Limited out with 12 pinks. Catching them on everything in the box at 55ft outside the harbour. Awesome day 1st time for kids playing their own fish. image.jpg

Back