Sooke2015

We did OK today picked off a couple out east between head and trap... Lost a few..The larger one was very deep 150 feet... Very good day and good water...

20150627_133337.jpg

Out from about 10 to 3 today, around secretary and possession. It was brown water and a salad bar with jellies for dessert. Sifted through lots of pinks and one small chinook about 3 or 4lbs, fished mostly spoons.

WOW jelly salad is right managed to scrape up 2 nice today a 20 on the Andrew P spoon (bluewolf) and a 16 on bait tossed back the pinks but kept one as it was a bleeder and there going to cook it on on bbq, the 20 was a pure white spring, hope this jelly fish thing doesnt last all summer???

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 37862.jpg
    37862.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,196
What's the deal with the pinks? Are these big 5-8lb Fraser pinks or ratty slimeballs headed elsewhere? Seems early. It's a million degrees in my house, which is early too mind you.

Was out with Capt Mark in his Arima today from 8-2 around secretary, possession and the mouth
Brown water, lots off jellies and tide lines.

We caught 4 pinks, and something bigger that got away from one of the 2 boys with us.
Released a too-small pink and 3 of us took home a fish.

Sunday fished out front from 9 till 12:00 and had a Chinook double header, - one was a little under 67cm and a 20lber (well 19.8) on large (8 pack) Chovies. Good thing we keep a back up net handy. I know someone who picked up a 25lber fishing not far from us so there are some bigger ones there. Lots of floating crap on the water and it was spread out everywhere, not just in tight tide lines.

Sat. we picked up a 7lb hatchery and a 13lber, so nothing really big for us yet this year, but just started. There does seem to be more smaller (6 to 9lbs) Chinook around which is nice with the under 67 cm restriction on your second Chinook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Trap to Beechy today 6:30am until noon. All the action was in the first 90 minutes. We boated an 11lb fish after 10 minutes on anchovy at 47' (my shallowest ever chinook), then lost two smaller ones at the boat. Picked up two pinks and that was it. By 10:30 am the wind was blowing up as BWD predicted and most people left (I was amazed at the number of boats out on a Monday!). We stayed till noon. Bad move! By then the NW wind was really going and large whitecaps 4-5 feet high were rolling in. Chugged back slowly through the pounding waters to the sanctuary of the Harbour Mouth!:)

Another good day today had to fight the wind BUT one thing that was good was the jellyfish wasnt really that bad today hardly anything really. was west again today managed 3 springs all teeners lost 2 others one beside of boat, 2 fish on the Andrew P spoon again at 55 ft seems to be working great for me.

others were a bit deeper and only a few pinks
Ad yes you were right Rolland it got nasty when it switched to the WSW got just a wee bit lumpy.....

Out today from 7 til noon, started at Trap Shack back and forth to Beechy Hd til 10:00 with only couple bites and 1 pink. when wind picked up trolled with it past Aldridge and into Becher bay. Picked up 13lb off Aldridge @ 11:00 and 17lb off Frasier @ noon, then it was too nasty to continue. Both fish at 95' on green glow teaser and gold Betsy flasher. Saw couple of 20's being cleaned at Cheanuh.

Hey guys, sorry not a report, but wanted to quicky say, if you come across a mostly submerged white fibreglass dingy in the sooke basin, if it has the yamaha 4hp outboard on the back still, I'd love my little motor back..
Reward offered of course!

Hey guys, sorry not a report, but wanted to quicky say, if you come across a mostly submerged white fibreglass dingy in the sooke basin, if it has the yamaha 4hp outboard on the back still, I'd love my little motor back..
Reward offered of course!

where was it last seen? or did it just disappear in the night?

Awesome day out on the water today. Fished from 0830-1130. Managed a nice size spring, hatchery coho and 3 pinks. All on cop car hootchie and anchovies just off the island at 50-60ft on the riggers. The pinks are pretty big right now, a bit surprised this early on. Then we finished off with a great orca show, lost count how many were out there, but my boy was amazed at the one that breached 30 ft on our beam and showed off a little.

Good day for my crew today with a 21,18,11 lber lost 2 others no biggy.. My guys have been with me alot and nice to see a guy at 87 years young still up to catching salmon BTW 21 came on the sitka spoon again thats 5 days in a row ive got them on it (now i just jinxed myself)

Whales came by and ALOT of them at about noon off of otter heading west.

As per the dingy I did see that the other day in between that looonnnng dock and sooke harbour marina if i see it again can you PM me you cel number if I do see it ill look more closely for it

Good luck Wolf

where was it last seen? or did it just disappear in the night?

Capsized in the basin. 2/3 of the way across, in front of prestige hotel area.
Thanks guys, and wolf, that's probly it. I'm heading out for springs in the Am tomorrow if the weathers
Good. I'll scout that area out.
Greatly appreciated :)

Went out today from 6:00 t0 12:00,fished possession the whole time, ended with 2 springs a 24 lb white and a 6 lb. Also had 3 pinks. The 24 lber was on anchovie and was almost taken by the seal there. The fish went nuts and I had to just muscle the fish in hoping the line would not break. We got it to the boat with the seal inches away and my net man just got the net between fish and the seal and the fish swam in. Couldn't ask for more, last year I lost two nice ones(within 20 minutes) to the seal there so it is 2 to 1 for them. We saw that seal take two other fish while we were out today. We did not have any problem with the pinks taking bait. We were out on sunday between the head and Aldridge and went through bait like crazy with all the pink action. We managed a 10 lb spring then.

Seals....GRRRRR

Besides our Resident(fish eatting) Orcas, there have been Transient(seal/porpoise eatting) Orcas between Constance and Sheringham the last 4 days.
Encourage them on. :)
Go Get Em.

Back